Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Suggs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,782

    Default Suggs?

    Any additional information besides the “non serious right leg injury” reported during the telecast?


    A friend in attendance at the UVA game said he saw him rubbing his right knee after saving a ball inbounds. Apparently his feet landed one foot on the raised court, the other(the right foot) on the concrete.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Any additional information besides the “non serious right leg injury” reported during the telecast?


    A friend in attendance at the UVA game said he saw him rubbing his right knee after saving a ball inbounds. Apparently his feet landed one foot on the raised court, the other(the right foot) on the concrete.
    I saw the same thing, Rob. If it’s not 100%, I can’t see Jalen playing tonight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,467

    Default

    https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/1343775131764604930

    Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    Few on Suggs: "Tweaked his leg a little bit in the second half (vs. Virginia), kept playing. It was bothering him on the flight home and then a little bit yesterday so we held him out. See how he does with warm-ups tomorrow and make a call."
    8:25 PM · Dec 28, 2020·TweetDeck
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    If Jalen is not 100%, then there's no reason to play him tonight. Dixie is not exactly Iowa or Kansas.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sandy Eggo CA
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Not that they deserve a lot of sympathy in these testing times, but if Sportsbooks are going to offer honest action on a game, then bettors have to be apprised beforehand of information such as was available on Suggs' injury. Otherwise, it's all -- every single accepted wager -- A SCAM -- with the fans left holding the bag.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Not that they deserve a lot of sympathy in these testing times, but if Sportsbooks are going to offer honest action on a game, then bettors have to be apprised beforehand of information such as was available on Suggs' injury. Otherwise, it's all -- every single accepted wager -- A SCAM -- with the fans left holding the bag.
    I think that’s an inherent flaw to the gambling process, but smart bettors are usually clued in to this info.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I think that’s an inherent flaw to the gambling process, but smart bettors are usually clued in to this info.
    None better than Ace Rothstein!


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Not that they deserve a lot of sympathy in these testing times, but if Sportsbooks are going to offer honest action on a game, then bettors have to be apprised beforehand of information such as was available on Suggs' injury. Otherwise, it's all -- every single accepted wager -- A SCAM -- with the fans left holding the bag.
    I have to weigh in here.

    I don’t bet on sports or gamble and I don’t criticize or support those who do. I’m agnostic on the issue. It’s a free country and it’s your money not mine.

    But one thing needs to be clear here. Gonzaga Athletics and the Men’s Hoop staff have no obligation whatsoever to share information about the health or viability of its student athletes with anyone. And certainly Gonzaga had no obligation to share this information as part of some effort to make sports betting fair. Period.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Not that they deserve a lot of sympathy in these testing times, but if Sportsbooks are going to offer honest action on a game, then bettors have to be apprised beforehand of information such as was available on Suggs' injury. Otherwise, it's all -- every single accepted wager -- A SCAM -- with the fans left holding the bag.
    I think Few's comment was as much info as they can give, see how he does in warm-ups and make a call.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I have to weigh in here.

    I don’t bet on sports or gamble and I don’t criticize or support those who do. I’m agnostic on the issue. It’s a free country and it’s your money not mine.

    But one thing needs to be clear here. Gonzaga Athletics and the Men’s Hoop staff have no obligation whatsoever to share information about the health or viability of its student athletes with anyone. And certainly Gonzaga had no obligation to share this information as part of some effort to make sports betting fair. Period.
    Sinto, I'm fine with betting on professional sports. IMO, the gaming industry has no business setting wagers on college athletics. Nowadays, a school could be hit with a HIPAA lawsuit for disclosing too much info regarding a player's health.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sandy Eggo CA
    Posts
    758

    Default

    "Smart bettors" are usually the ones who wait to see which way the betting action is moving the line, then wager accordingly. There was no significant movement before the NAU game (only a small move toward GU). If the fact that Suggs wasn't going to play had been made public, there would have been a prominent move, or the game moved to OFF if there was doubt about his playing status. Instead, insiders knowing about Jalen's status, and taking advantage of the rest of us suckers, could have made a killing with last second, heavy action on NAU & the points. Judging by the totals & end game numbers, though, it looks like that didn't happen.

    And yes, Mal, there are many flaws in the gambling process, always have been. But if we're going to institutionalize the practice nationally (and that looks like the direction we're heading) then more stringency, transparency and regulation is required. And, no, for those curious FEW, I didn't lose a lot betting the Zags would cover. Just enough to get me all riled up.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sinto, I'm fine with betting on professional sports. IMO, the gaming industry has no business setting wagers on college athletics. Nowadays, a school could be hit with a HIPAA lawsuit for disclosing too much info regarding a player's health.
    Ok now you’ve struck a nerve. Even if unwittingly.

    I cannot stand that the casinos and the tribes describe what they do as “gaming.” This is a complete euphemism and an insult.

    It’s gambling. Pure and simple.

    Gaming? That’s what kids do on Xbox.

    Wagering on sports; blackjack, poker, slots and anything else done in a casino is gambling. Not “gaming.” And don’t let the tribes or casino barons tell you otherwise as part of their effort to de-stigmatize their business. Which is gambling.

    \ Rant over.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Ok now you’ve struck a nerve. Even if unwittingly.

    I cannot stand that the casinos and the tribes describe what they do as “gaming.” This is a complete euphemism and an insult.

    It’s gambling. Pure and simple.

    Gaming? That’s what kids do on Xbox.

    Wagering on sports; blackjack, poker, slots and anything else done in a casino is gambling. Not “gaming.” And don’t let the tribes or casino barons tell you otherwise as part of their effort to de-stigmatize their business. Which is gambling.

    \ Rant over.

    Best line from Lost in America, from Gary Marshall: "That's why they call it gamboling."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    "Smart bettors" are usually the ones who wait to see which way the betting action is moving the line, then wager accordingly. There was no significant movement before the NAU game (only a small move toward GU). If the fact that Suggs wasn't going to play had been made public, there would have been a prominent move, or the game moved to OFF if there was doubt about his playing status. Instead, insiders knowing about Jalen's status, and taking advantage of the rest of us suckers, could have made a killing with last second, heavy action on NAU & the points. Judging by the totals & end game numbers, though, it looks like that didn't happen.

    And yes, Mal, there are many flaws in the gambling process, always have been. But if we're going to institutionalize the practice nationally (and that looks like the direction we're heading) then more stringency, transparency and regulation is required. And, no, for those curious FEW, I didn't lose a lot betting the Zags would cover. Just enough to get me all riled up.
    Again—neither Gonzaga nor any other school has an obligation to make sports wagering fair. You are not dealing with the securities act of 1933 and the insider trading statute here. All is fair in love and war and I think we can also add sports betting to that list.

    The suggestion that some Gonzaga insiders would cheat and profit as you hint is insulting and not backed by one iota of evidence.

    If you think the system as is has cheated you I’d suggest walking away from that system.

    Again: Gonzaga athletics has no obligation to sports gamblers to make their gambling fair. None.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sandy Eggo CA
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Think you've made your point, Sinto. Great. Remove all college sports from the reach of gambling. I'm all for it. But you know & I know it ain't happening. In fact, just the opposite is the trend. Betting on games of all sorts here will soon reach the same frenetic level it has in places like Great Britain, where you can now wager plus or minus on the number of new Covid 19 cases each day. Betting on the outcomes of college Bball games is not going away no matter how fervently we wish it would.

    Recognizing this fact and moving to apply the most stringent regulations governing the "gaming industry" is the next reasonable step to take. And, by the by, you don't have to be a GU fan or part of the Zag family to learn intricate detailos, injuries or otherwise, about the team. You just have to be dedicated, or paid well to do it. And with GU entrenched at #1 and millions being wagered on each of their many national TV appearances, believe me, there are plenty of organizations willing to spend the time & money to do that.

    And there's an end on it. Wishing you well & in the new year. I'm out.

  16. #16

    Default

    I’ll make it easy for all of you. Take Dixie state +38 tonight. Few hasn’t put the pedal to the metal yet and I don’t see him
    Doing it here. The points seem an easy lock as the above is true, Suggs is uncertain and Dixie isn’t a terrible team.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Three truisms regarding gambling, whether it is the lottery, sports, slots, cards, dice, roulette, etc.

    1. Can't win if you don't play
    2. Somebody is going to win big
    3. It isn't you

    My GU engineering education taught me WAY too much about math, odds, etc. to fool me into thinking I could outsmart the casinos or the state. Especially with sports betting............WAY too many variables.

    Good luck!!

    Go ZAGS

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Three truisms regarding gambling, whether it is the lottery, sports, slots, cards, dice, roulette, etc.

    1. Can't win if you don't play
    2. Somebody is going to win big
    3. It isn't you

    My GU engineering education taught me WAY too much about math, odds, etc. to fool me into thinking I could outsmart the casinos or the state. Especially with sports betting............WAY too many variables.

    Good luck!!

    Go ZAGS
    As an avid gambler I have come closer to breaking even than most. My one big win was when I had put 1000 on GU at 75-1 in 2016-17. Hedged in the finals and won around 20k.

    As my pops says, “there is a reason new casinos are being built daily, and it sure as hell isn’t because dudes like you are beating them”.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    As an avid gambler I have come closer to breaking even than most. My one big win was when I had put 1000 on GU at 75-1 in 2016-17. Hedged in the finals and won around 20k.

    As my pops says, “there is a reason new casinos are being built daily, and it sure as hell isn’t because dudes like you are beating them”.
    Congrats on the $20k, and on your wise PAPA!!

    My evidence is keeping score at cribbage for an entire year in 2015, where two of us played almost daily at lunch. We were of equal skill, or lack thereof, and had to play a single game on the last working day of the year to break the 356-356 tie. Validation for all those late nights studying odds, stats, etc. Unfortunately, playing against the house is not a fair fight. Your pops was right............

    Go ZAGS

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I’ll make it easy for all of you. Take Dixie state +38 tonight. Few hasn’t put the pedal to the metal yet and I don’t see him
    Doing it here. The points seem an easy lock as the above is true, Suggs is uncertain and Dixie isn’t a terrible team.
    I agree, but I don't bet against the Zags. I just won't be betting on them to cover. Same reason I didn't bet on them against NAU. Tthey play down a little.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    gambling means betting on an outcome at a time when there are dozens or hundreds of variables are at play, and the health or presence of one player on the court or not is one of those unknowns. If there weren't unknowns, there would be nothing to bet on.
    the only place I agree with Upan is if sports players themselves throw a game, or if players are given drugs or poisons without their knowledge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,467

    Default

    fwiw
    Huddy on pregame: "We do not expect to see Suggs." "Not official word."
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    4,090

    Default

    KHQ's Joe McHale live from The MAC on the 5pm local news says Suggs was not warming up with the team but did not say if he was seen anywhere in the arena. I would not expect him to play this evening much as noted above from Tom Hudson.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,467

    Default

    https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/1344089639972294656



    Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    Suggs watching from the end line as Zags go thru warm-umps
    5:15 PM · Dec 29, 2020·
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I’ve heard the injury is nothing serious to be worry about. Makes sense to want to give Jalen a few days rest and have him ready to go to start conference play on Saturday against San Francisco.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •