ESPN’s Metcalf: Is this Mark Few’s Best Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tummydoc
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
    No GU big has had footwork any better than Timme IMO
    Olynyk was pretty damn good. Similar games really, Kelly was better from 3 pt. But fun comparisons, we've been blessed.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
      Olynyk was pretty damn good. Similar games really, Kelly was better from 3 pt. But fun comparisons, we've been blessed.
      And next year, we'll (hopefully) be adding Chet Holmgren to the discussion.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
        This is such a difficult question, but I think it comes down to this year's team, the 2016-17 team, and the 2018-19 team. I will say that I think this year is the most impressive non-conference performance by any Gonzaga team. Also, I don't think I've ever before seen a version of the Zags overwhelm their opponents with sheer talent in such a glaring way.
        The sudden eligibility of Nembhard puts this team over the top IMO. We saw it in the West Virginia game, when Jalen went down. Andrew came in and played 35 minutes, with 19 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, and only 2 turnovers.

In the past, the NCAA tournament has put a premium on superior backcourt play. We're well positioned this year, to include Aaron Cook as a stopper for the opponent's point guard. He delivered during the second half against Virginia.

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

Who knows ??? Not me .....and even the Shadow doesn't know....maybe after he retires...... Few will tell us.....

It is extremely important how you begin a journey....and more important how you finish it....they are off to a great start....

I do know this....it is the best team we have this year....

Comment

• Birddog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
            Who knows ??? Not me .....and even the Shadow doesn't know....maybe after he retires...... Few will tell us.....

It is extremely important how you begin a journey....and more important how you finish it....they are off to a great start....

I do know this....it is the best team we have this year....
            Yo Lazarus, long time no see!
            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
            All mimsy were the borogoves,
            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              The best team would be any team with the Bonus.

Having said that, this team has an unparalleled platoon of four maybe five brilliant guards but only two reliable three point scorers and one reliable big man. The NC team had it all. Don’t know what DD is chirping about. His team was nice, no more. The Texas Tech team was second best. So this year’s squad is third with a bullet. Room to grow.
              Haha I am with you Jazz. DD ego coming in to play here. The Nevada loss team would get waxed. Dowers 2013 team would lose by 10.

The only teams that would come close because of either their size or future pros are 2016-17 and 2018-19. Love DD but can you imagine him guarding Suggs 1 on 1?

Comment

• Larryzag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                Haha I am with you Jazz. DD ego coming in to play here. The Nevada loss team would get waxed. The TT team too. Dowers 2013 team would lose by 10.

The only teams that would come close because of either their size or future pros are 2016-17 and 2018-19.
                I agree

Comment

• MickMick
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

You cannot compare a team with seven games under it's belt against teams that have played in post season. The true measure of a team is how they handle adversity and the 2021 version hasn't encountered any......yet. We await to see how many football players that BYU will send into the game to find out.

I personally believe that the iteration that included Hachimura and Clarke was the best Zag team, but because the whistles were swallowed for a slap happy Texas Tech team, college hoops fans were deprived of a marquee matchup with Virginia in the title game. I know....the Zag guards didn't adjust to how the game was being called. Whatever rationalization that is supposed to mean. Which brings us to the backcourt discussion of this current season.

The current 2021 version is the most offensively skilled collective position (1-5) group I have seen, although the front court is not nearly as athletic as the Hachimura/Clarke line (which is a sneaky problem that West Virginia exposed), but more important, the current back court is more suited to adapt to the Texas Tech type situation, and we all know that the real measure will come in post season. I reserve the right to switch to this team at that time.
                  Last edited by MickMick; 12-29-2020, 01:45 PM.
                  I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                    You cannot compare a team with seven games under it's belt against teams that have played in post season.

I personally believe that the iteration with Hachimura and Clarke was the best Zag team and because the whistles were swallowed for a slap happy Texas Tech team, college hoops fans were deprived of a marquee matchup with Virginia in the title game.

The current 2021 version is the best position (1-5) group I have seen to this point, but we all know that the real measure comes in post season.
                    That team was loaded. If I remember correctly Perkins and ZN couldn’t throw a pea in the ocean that game

Comment

• MickMick
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                      That team was loaded. If I remember correctly Perkins and ZN couldn’t throw a pea in the ocean that game
                      One of the biggest reasons I think that was the best Zag team is because they beat the fully healthy Zion/Barret/Reddish Duke team in Maui. Rather decisively through the first 3/4 of the game. I think that was the best team that any Zag team has ever defeated. I just don't know how this year's front court could deal with that Duke team.
                      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• billyberu
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        Timme has much better hands than JP did.
                        Which is saying a lot because JP had soft hands.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                        Surfmonkey89

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by billyberu View Post

LOL billy, your memory is obviously better than mine. I was recalling those painful last moments of the UCLA game. I know, one picture doesn't tell a story.

Thanks for the correction.

Comment

• billyberu
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

LOL billy, your memory is obviously better than mine. I was recalling those painful last moments of the UCLA game. I know, one picture doesn't tell a story.

Thanks for the correction.
                            It was a foul! I'm still not over it. [emoji3064]

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                            Surfmonkey89

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by billyberu View Post

Absolutely! He couldn't jump over a telephone book and you can't overcome that at the D1 level without having some other redeeming qualities. JP had extremely soft hands, meaning he could receive about any type of pass, and he could finish with accuracy. An awesome combination that consistently showed up in the stat sheet.

One shouldn't confuse that back ally brawl against UCLA with JP's soft hands. That UCLA game reminds me of a quarterback that can make every throw with a clean pocket, but can't throw it in the ocean when under relentless pressure. After awhile, the hits began to take a psychological toll. The other team speeds you up. The timing ticker in your head gets out of sync with the flow of the game.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• ZionZag
                                Kennel Club
                                • Sep 2013

Zbo was pretty close, but his minutes were limited by Karno and foul trouble.

I think Drew would foul him out in 10 minutes. It would be aggravated by Drew getting under Zach’s skin with his trash talking... lol.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X