Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Northern Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Northern Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 88
    Northern Arizona 58

I was surprised that GU didn't score 90 points. Yet they did have 51 at the half. The starters didn't play much the second half, especially Kispert and Timme. Jalen Suggs didn't play at all. Few said he hurt his leg some in the second half of the Virginia game. It is not a serious injury, but really it was wise to rest him. Few also said he felt the players were somewhat tired from all of the travel into different time zones. I thought the starters played as well as I expected. They would have gotten to 100 easily I am sure if they had played the second half. Outside of Harris I didn't think the subs played all that great. Ballo looked better in spurts, but I didn't think Swather looked all that good. He missed a lot of threes. Harris got twelve and played good D. I can see that he will get playing time even in the better games. I think he's legit

Ayayi had a very good game. He had a double double, 17 and 19 and made 4 of 5 3 point shots. Very very good. timme had 14, Kispert 8, Watson 9 and Nembhard 10 with 7 assists. Strawther got 21 minutes and Harris 17. It's good they're getting playing time. Zags held NA to 23 first half points.

The good thing about this game is that the starters got some good rest. Getting ready for tomorrow's game.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Jalen was dunking in warmups

I'm totally okay with the final score. A win is a win. And the bench players got well deserved minutes. Yes, we have another game tomorrow. I hope they hold Jalen out for two games. We won't need him. I hate to diss the other team, but I just found out that Dixie is D-2 to D-1 this year. So, I think the outcome is certain. Please Coach Mark, let Greggy play. I saw him in uniform tonight! My eyes don't lie!
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Get used to shooting with a hand in your face Cory. Get used to encountering game plans designed specifically to stop.....you. Just like criminals can't outrun the police radio, college hoopsters can't outrun the scouting report. The word is out. The relentless hand in your face will be the next hurdle to master. No one worked harder to get open, to get the hand out of his face, than Morrison, but the teammates have to be in on it as well. If I had to pin my finger on what Morrison did best, it would be that relentless energy he put into moving without the ball.......and calling for it the entire time. Morrison created his own shot before he even received the pass. He had to because the opposing game plan was designed specifically to stop him. Such is the life of a bona fide star.
    I miss Mike Hart

Did Few get a tech?
    I thought I saw Few get a tech.
    I must have been dreaming.

I thought Coach Few's substitution/rotation was terrific (and classy). We don't need to run up scores by playing our best six or seven players for most of the game. We have a number of players who need experience plus we have another game tomorrow night. This game presented an opportunity to get a number of young players more game exposure. Sure, NAU was able to "shrink" the margin to 30 and "hold" us under 90, but so what. The team is not going to lose it's #1 ranking or its undefeated record. Plus, we reduce the chance of injury and fatigue. Meanwhile, we begin the gradual process of developing a more confident and seasoned bench which we didn't have time to do in workouts over the summer or the two-week Covid-shutdown or the cancelled non-top 20 games. If we can get a lot of games with double-digit minutes for Ballo, Harris, Strawther, and Cook plus meaningful minutes for Arlauskus and Zacharov over the next two months, we will have fantastic options for dealing with situations in WCC and NCAA tourneys where players get in foul trouble, injured/ill, or are simply having an off night. Depth and rotation keeps everyone motivated and playing with high energy.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Did Few get a tech?
    I thought I saw Few get a tech.
    I must have been dreaming.
    He did and wouldn't comment on it.
    It was on the play where Timme caught the ball, turned to shoot and bumped their guy, and it didn't look like it was very hard.
    Their guy 'fell' down. It could have been a flop, it should have been a no-call because Timme didn't play through the guy, but the foul was called on Timme.

Few said something and the Ref took offense.
    It's not funny.

This game was garbage time from minute 7 on. Training day.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

1. first squad is unstoppable on offense and can flat out shut down any team that is not elite.
    2. the second squad for all their high recruitment rankings sure look underwhelming to this 'early' point in the year.
    3. it surprises me, almost shocked. this social group to a man, woman and child thinks this is our best team, the one that really really can win the national title...........yet 2 hours post game and there are only 7 comments under this thread to discuss tonight's game? blows me away. i know it was only a small school, and it was a 30 point win, but still. my memory is not great, but seems to me year the zags went to the final four, there were nearly a 100 comments and many hundreds on line. just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    1. first squad is unstoppable on offense and can flat out shut down any team that is not elite.
    2. the second squad for all their high recruitment rankings sure look underwhelming to this 'early' point in the year.
    3. it surprises me, almost shocked. this social group to a man, woman and child thinks this is our best team, the one that really really can win the national title...........yet 2 hours post game and there are only 7 comments under this thread to discuss tonight's game? blows me away. i know it was only a small school, and it was a 30 point win, but still. my memory is not great, but seems to me year the zags went to the final four, there were nearly a 100 comments and many hundreds on line. just an observation.
    Sorry GG, it's my fault. The game had just started when we arrived home from a birthday dinner for one of my SILs. I fell asleep while pulling up ESPN, thanks to a few adult beverages imbibed earlier.

There are a few reasons thread traffic was low, not the least was it's the holiday season, and it's hard to get up for a cupcake game after our earlier games against ranked opponents and the defending champion.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    It seems harsh to say anything about this game. As you said the starters could have their way with their game to such a degree that it was comical to watch, and thats with Suggs OUT. After that, I think Few was experimenting, and it's hard to judge that. Other than obvious learning curve criticisms, I can't really say anything that would really add to the conversation beyond this.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    I thought Coach Few's substitution/rotation was terrific (and classy). We don't need to run up scores by playing our best six or seven players for most of the game. We have a number of players who need experience plus we have another game tomorrow night. This game presented an opportunity to get a number of young players more game exposure. Sure, NAU was able to "shrink" the margin to 30 and "hold" us under 90, but so what. The team is not going to lose it's #1 ranking or its undefeated record. Plus, we reduce the chance of injury and fatigue. Meanwhile, we begin the gradual process of developing a more confident and seasoned bench which we didn't have time to do in workouts over the summer or the two-week Covid-shutdown or the cancelled non-top 20 games. If we can get a lot of games with double-digit minutes for Ballo, Harris, Strawther, and Cook plus meaningful minutes for Arlauskus and Zacharov over the next two months, we will have fantastic options for dealing with situations in WCC and NCAA tourneys where players get in foul trouble, injured/ill, or are simply having an off night. Depth and rotation keeps everyone motivated and playing with high energy.
    you hit the nail on the head here.Amem,go get um.

Hard to say with accuracy after seeing so little of them, but have Arlauskas and Zakharov gone backwards? I recall them playing better at the end of last season.

Agree w many, beyond the first 7 there’s a drop off. Ballo is years away, Harris is assertive but shoots too much and a younger Few would’ve never allowed that, I don’t see anything in Strawther at all. Not that he’s lost, that’s understandable as a freshman but I don’t see ability or athleticism. After that another chasm. The comps with the NC game team are inevitable. Lots of debate will ensue. If Strawther was as good as advertised he’d be pushing Watson and he’s not. Compared to Harris who is the 5th guard behind four all American /all conference guards and one gets the sense that he’s pushing for PT even with his over shooting. There’s talent there.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Hard to say with accuracy after seeing so little of them, but have Arlauskas and Zakharov gone backwards? I recall them playing better at the end of last season.
    Your memory may be foggy. They weren’t much last year either. Two recruiting misses, it happens.

Interesting observation about the relative lack of comments here about the game. I for one just find blowout games vs overmatched teams rather dull. They are excellent coaching and learning opportunities and essential for player development but from this fan’s perspective they just don’t get me all that excited. Goodness gracious I hope Im not turning into an arrogant, entitled Dukie kind of fan.

I’m still baffled by Ballo. Look at his FIBA highlights posted on another thread recently and dude was throwing down ferocious two handed dunks, now it appears as if he can barely dunk. He just doesn’t seem to have the same athleticism and alpha demeanor whatsoever.

Happy to see Harris, Strawther get more run. Surprised some board members already clamoring to see Gregg play. D-1 hoops is not like showing up to play pickup games. Agree w earlier post that 1/2 way through WCC play is earliest we may see Gregg on the court, but if I had to bet on it I’d put my money on this as more like an RS semester for him. Practice w team, develop his body & game and get ready for 2021-22 debut.

ps. Really happy to read Vince Grippi point out what an a** Heister is in his TV Take article.
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ourt-in-gonza/
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I love the Zags as much as anyone. But these games can be challenging to watch with 10 min left. Love that other players get more time but it’s like watching your 7 year old brother drive your corvette. Ballo has improved since game 1...but a year away at the earliest. But hey, at least he dunked tonight! But his position under the rim is horrible. Our guards can out rebound him. Love Harris’s game, just so confident. Pavel? Man, I could have sworn he showed flashes last year but he is out of his league.

Watson is an X-factor for me. Playing a lot better and he seems to play with a chip when he comes off the bench. He’s missing less bunnies at the rim and is actually finishing in contact. Does NOT look like the scoring machine he was in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Interesting observation about the relative lack of comments here about the game. I for one just find blowout games vs overmatched teams rather dull. They are excellent coaching and learning opportunities and essential for player development but from this fan’s perspective they just don’t get me all that excited. Goodness gracious I hope Im not turning into an arrogant, entitled Dukie kind of fan.

I’m still baffled by Ballo. Look at his FIBA highlights posted on another thread recently and dude was throwing down ferocious two handed dunks, now it appears as if he can barely dunk. He just doesn’t seem to have the same athleticism and alpha demeanor whatsoever.

Happy to see Harris, Strawther get more run. Surprised some board members already clamoring to see Gregg play. D-1 hoops is not like showing up to play pickup games. Agree w earlier post that 1/2 way through WCC play is earliest we may see Gregg on the court, but if I had to bet on it I’d put my money on this as more like an RS semester for him. Practice w team, develop his body & game and get ready for 2021-22 debut.

ps. Really happy to read Vince Grippi point out what an a** Heister is in his TV Take article.
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ourt-in-gonza/
    FiBA U19 is really not a high level of basketball compared to D1. My guess is most of the FIBA U19 teams he played against would rank well below 250 at the D1 level. Even team USA that is loaded with D1 stars i dont think would be a top 50 team.
    No question there are some super talented kids that play and if some of the teams were able to stay together for more than a couple of months they would be good. The kids are all youg "U19" and there really isn't any team defense. I think Ballo will be good but high D1 level is a totally different game.

It was fun to see the deep bench for the first time this year. I kind of feel bad that we’ve gotten so good that these guys haven’t seen any game time.

Ballo’s still not comfortable out there but he’s slowly making progress. Next year. Next year for sure. Especially if he grows another inch or two and bulks up even more. I also believe he’ll be able to just play without overthinking everything next year. We’ll see.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I really enjoyed Dan D and Richard F as announcers again - I always do, and learn a lot from them.
    Heister rolls out his unprofessional (IMO) comparative, create-antagonistic-comments time and time again, instigating competition and conflict while arguing against what he thought one of them said, rather than what was said. He never does this when broadcasting other games with other announcers. its almost mean to keep rubbing Montana in Dan's face a couple of times. I wish i could mute him, but then I would have to listen to Richard and Dan defending themselves from his combatative, "I know as much as you guys do" attitude. I wish KHQ would get him some counseling, because his strong points are terrific, but outweighed by his generation of constant awkwardness with Dan and Richard. Few, Lloyd, Dan, Hudson, Ammo and Richard represent our national brand with class and balance. I should probably listen to the game on the radio while muting my TV, but then I would miss out on Dickau and Fox's BB comments.

Ballo with 5 PFs in 12 mins, ouch!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Ballo with 5 PFs in 12 mins, ouch!

And vs inferior opponents although NAU bigs were quite active. He’s a year away from being a year away. I guess it’ll be Gregg trial time very soon.

Ballo is not (yet) the dominant low post we thought he might be given hype that was generated by his dominant performances against high-school players. Whoever started the "Baby Shaq" moniker did him no favors. It set the immediate expectation bar too high. He's still very young, raw, and inexperienced. Plays are not being run for him. He's got to learn to be a team contributor within the system and do the small things that will earn the coaches' trust. He's also an international who has to deal with all of the challenges of language, culture, and geographic isolation. A more realistic assessment is that he's a traditional Zag recruit who has an upside as that will take a couple years to develop before he is a collegiate starter or early off the bench. That has been the foundation of success during the Coach Few era. I'm content if he can evolve this season into subbing 8 to 10 minutes for Timme and not be a liability due to fouls or TOs - just hold his own.

I think Ballo looks like he needs to lose some weight. We'll need some minutes from him if we're going far. I'm also not impressed at all by Strawther. He's borderline a chucker. Would love to see Harris and Strawther come in and continue the selfless ball movement, but so far the ball gets pretty sticky with them. At least Harris is making stuff happen when he forces things...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree w many, beyond the first 7 there’s a drop off. Ballo is years away, Harris is assertive but shoots too much and a younger Few would’ve never allowed that, I don’t see anything in Strawther at all. Not that he’s lost, that’s understandable as a freshman but I don’t see ability or athleticism. After that another chasm. The comps with the NC game team are inevitable. Lots of debate will ensue. If Strawther was as good as advertised he’d be pushing Watson and he’s not. Compared to Harris who is the 5th guard behind four all American /all conference guards and one gets the sense that he’s pushing for PT even with his over shooting. There’s talent there.
    Strawther seems to be more of a scorer than a shooter, just judging by the aesthetics of his shot. I thought he’d be more college-ready. He has the look of a rotation guy but not a starter so far.