Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Week 6 Polls

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,369

    Default Week 6 Polls

    Zags gain one more vote for a total of 62 on the the AP.

    Baylor has 2 votes.

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...1/seasontype/2

    CBS Sports still ranks us #1

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/
    Parlez-vous français?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Washington State didn't get a single vote! And they are undefeated! I know they have played a bunch of cupcakes, but still. This is insulting. If this program is truly on the rise, then I hope we schedule them next year. We aren't afraid to play at Friel Court!
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Baylor with one top 25 win, over #15 Illinois. Yes, totally makes sense that they are ranked over a team with 3 top 10 wins. /s

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Baylor with one top 25 win, over #15 Illinois. Yes, totally makes sense that they are ranked over a team with 3 top 10 wins. /s
    That will change quickly when they enter Big 12 play. That's a damn tough conference.

    The two votes for Baylor came from Jesse Newell and Scott Wolf...no surprise here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That will change quickly when they enter Big 12 play. That's a damn tough conference.

    The two votes for Baylor came from Jesse Newell and Scott Wolf...no surprise here.
    I assume those two voters at least had us at #2? So ridiculous
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Virigina took a bigger hit than I expected. We have a way of making teams that aren't bad look bad. Harsh.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I assume those two voters at least had us at #2? So ridiculous
    Yes, they both had the Zags at 2...lol.

    The one who switched his vote was Sam Blum of the Dallas Morning News. I emailed him last week to let him know the time and place of Saturday's game. I don't know if he attended, I saw no coverage in local media. If I had bought a Sunday paper, my guess it would have the feed from AP.

    No other coverage in DFW...no sports talk radio, no print, nada. They didn't have much room for anything else besides Zeke Elliott's calf problems.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,956

    Default

    TZF; please check your messages.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Washington State didn't get a single vote! And they are undefeated! I know they have played a bunch of cupcakes, but still. This is insulting. If this program is truly on the rise, then I hope we schedule them next year. We aren't afraid to play at Friel Court!
    WSU isnt that good. Right now they are 132 on KenPom, 10th in the PAC 12.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    TZF; please check your messages.
    Message sent

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Joshua Schwader
    @SchwaderZag62
    Gonzaga falls 2 votes short of unanimous #1, with other two going to Baylor. Gonzaga does officially tie Michigan for 13th all time in appearances at #1 in AP poll with 22 times atop the AP poll

    ZZ

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Jesse Newell from last week
    "Hey John — I use advanced rankings to help with my poll vote. They take into account every possession and not just every W/L result, so in my eyes, it's a more comprehensive way of comparing teams to each other.

    Gonzaga's offense has been amazing, but defensively, there's still room to improve. That's showing up in the numbers. Baylor is No. 1 overall (and ahead of Gonzaga) in KenPom, Bart Torvik, Team Rankings and BPI. Possession by possession, the Bears have been just a little better so far.

    Here's a story on how I rank teams each week if you're interested: tinyurl.com/y6vsr6mw

    Have a good one.

    -Jesse"

    He uses the BPI - they gave GU a 48% chance to bear Virginia.

    I thought about sending him this email back today.

    You may not want to use BPI - I don’t know the algorithim but it gave Virginia 52% chance to win on Saturday and us (Gonzaga) 48%. Haha

    10 games vs Virginia we win all 10.

    3 by 30+ points
    6 by 20+ points
    1 by 10+ points

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Jesse Newell from last week
    "Hey John — I use advanced rankings to help with my poll vote. They take into account every possession and not just every W/L result, so in my eyes, it's a more comprehensive way of comparing teams to each other.

    Gonzaga's offense has been amazing, but defensively, there's still room to improve. That's showing up in the numbers. Baylor is No. 1 overall (and ahead of Gonzaga) in KenPom, Bart Torvik, Team Rankings and BPI. Possession by possession, the Bears have been just a little better so far.

    Here's a story on how I rank teams each week if you're interested: tinyurl.com/y6vsr6mw

    Have a good one.

    -Jesse"

    He uses the BPI - they gave GU a 48% chance to bear Virginia.

    I thought about sending him this email back today.

    You may not want to use BPI - I don’t know the algorithim but it gave Virginia 52% chance to win on Saturday and us (Gonzaga) 48%. Haha

    10 games vs Virginia we win all 10.

    3 by 30+ points
    6 by 20+ points
    1 by 10+ points
    There’s a time and place for metrics when teams are really close on resumes. Gonzaga has clearly the better resume. Baylor hasn’t beaten 4 top 16 teams lmao. That’s very overwhelming evidence
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    There’s a time and place for metrics when teams are really close on resumes. Gonzaga has clearly the better resume. Baylor hasn’t beaten 4 top 16 teams lmao. That’s very overwhelming evidence
    He does have the worst rated ballot three weeks in a row by users on the AP tracking website...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    There’s a time and place for metrics when teams are really close on resumes. Gonzaga has clearly the better resume. Baylor hasn’t beaten 4 top 16 teams lmao. That’s very overwhelming evidence
    For those that rely on analytics/metrics, I recall a quote attributed to Mark Twain: there are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •