Thread: Week 6 Polls

Default Week 6 Polls

Zags gain one more vote for a total of 62 on the the AP.

Baylor has 2 votes.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...1/seasontype/2

CBS Sports still ranks us #1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/
    Parlez-vous français?

Washington State didn't get a single vote! And they are undefeated! I know they have played a bunch of cupcakes, but still. This is insulting. If this program is truly on the rise, then I hope we schedule them next year. We aren't afraid to play at Friel Court!
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Baylor with one top 25 win, over #15 Illinois. Yes, totally makes sense that they are ranked over a team with 3 top 10 wins. /s

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Baylor with one top 25 win, over #15 Illinois. Yes, totally makes sense that they are ranked over a team with 3 top 10 wins. /s
    That will change quickly when they enter Big 12 play. That's a damn tough conference.

The two votes for Baylor came from Jesse Newell and Scott Wolf...no surprise here.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That will change quickly when they enter Big 12 play. That's a damn tough conference.

The two votes for Baylor came from Jesse Newell and Scott Wolf...no surprise here.
    I assume those two voters at least had us at #2? So ridiculous
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Virigina took a bigger hit than I expected. We have a way of making teams that aren't bad look bad. Harsh.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I assume those two voters at least had us at #2? So ridiculous
    Yes, they both had the Zags at 2...lol.

The one who switched his vote was Sam Blum of the Dallas Morning News. I emailed him last week to let him know the time and place of Saturday's game. I don't know if he attended, I saw no coverage in local media. If I had bought a Sunday paper, my guess it would have the feed from AP.

No other coverage in DFW...no sports talk radio, no print, nada. They didn't have much room for anything else besides Zeke Elliott's calf problems.

TZF; please check your messages.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Washington State didn't get a single vote! And they are undefeated! I know they have played a bunch of cupcakes, but still. This is insulting. If this program is truly on the rise, then I hope we schedule them next year. We aren't afraid to play at Friel Court!
    WSU isnt that good. Right now they are 132 on KenPom, 10th in the PAC 12.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    TZF; please check your messages.
    Message sent

Joshua Schwader
    @SchwaderZag62
    Gonzaga falls 2 votes short of unanimous #1, with other two going to Baylor. Gonzaga does officially tie Michigan for 13th all time in appearances at #1 in AP poll with 22 times atop the AP poll

ZZ

Jesse Newell from last week
    "Hey John — I use advanced rankings to help with my poll vote. They take into account every possession and not just every W/L result, so in my eyes, it's a more comprehensive way of comparing teams to each other.

Gonzaga's offense has been amazing, but defensively, there's still room to improve. That's showing up in the numbers. Baylor is No. 1 overall (and ahead of Gonzaga) in KenPom, Bart Torvik, Team Rankings and BPI. Possession by possession, the Bears have been just a little better so far.

Here's a story on how I rank teams each week if you're interested: tinyurl.com/y6vsr6mw

Have a good one.

-Jesse"

He uses the BPI - they gave GU a 48% chance to bear Virginia.

I thought about sending him this email back today.

You may not want to use BPI - I don’t know the algorithim but it gave Virginia 52% chance to win on Saturday and us (Gonzaga) 48%. Haha

10 games vs Virginia we win all 10.

3 by 30+ points
    6 by 20+ points
    1 by 10+ points

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Jesse Newell from last week
    "Hey John — I use advanced rankings to help with my poll vote. They take into account every possession and not just every W/L result, so in my eyes, it's a more comprehensive way of comparing teams to each other.

Gonzaga's offense has been amazing, but defensively, there's still room to improve. That's showing up in the numbers. Baylor is No. 1 overall (and ahead of Gonzaga) in KenPom, Bart Torvik, Team Rankings and BPI. Possession by possession, the Bears have been just a little better so far.

Here's a story on how I rank teams each week if you're interested: tinyurl.com/y6vsr6mw

Have a good one.

-Jesse"

He uses the BPI - they gave GU a 48% chance to bear Virginia.

I thought about sending him this email back today.

You may not want to use BPI - I don’t know the algorithim but it gave Virginia 52% chance to win on Saturday and us (Gonzaga) 48%. Haha

10 games vs Virginia we win all 10.

3 by 30+ points
    6 by 20+ points
    1 by 10+ points
    There’s a time and place for metrics when teams are really close on resumes. Gonzaga has clearly the better resume. Baylor hasn’t beaten 4 top 16 teams lmao. That’s very overwhelming evidence
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    There’s a time and place for metrics when teams are really close on resumes. Gonzaga has clearly the better resume. Baylor hasn’t beaten 4 top 16 teams lmao. That’s very overwhelming evidence
    He does have the worst rated ballot three weeks in a row by users on the AP tracking website...

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    For those that rely on analytics/metrics, I recall a quote attributed to Mark Twain: there are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.