Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMU pauses basketball

Default LMU pauses basketball

This season’s schedule will be a dance.

https://patch.com/california/los-ang...ties-due-covid

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-of-covid-19/

This is the more troubling story. Combined with Coach K's influence and his stated preference for suspending the season, it's got me worried.

I think this is why the Zags didn't reschedule with Idaho or schedule anything at all with Eastern. If Gonzaga loses a conference game like this I'd expect them to see if one of the local teams is also free to get something in during that window.

Stay Calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-of-covid-19/

This is the more troubling story. Combined with Coach K's influence and his stated preference for suspending the season, it's got me worried.
    It was the student athletes that voted to stop the season, not the institution or the coach.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    I think this is why the Zags didn't reschedule with Idaho or schedule anything at all with Eastern. If Gonzaga loses a conference game like this I'd expect them to see if one of the local teams is also free to get something in during that window.
    Exactly. Luckily, we don't play LMU (or Pacific, another team with COVID issues) for awhile. And none of those 3 games were scheduled to be on ESPN; we know they would be unhappy if they lost a nice WCC matchup.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Nova on pause too.
    My dance comment was simply a metaphor on how the schedule will probably keep changing. Might even open up another spot for a quality opponent. (Glass half full)
    I’m calm

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Stay Calm.
    It is my understanding that barring a complete collapse there WILL be a well planned NCAA tournament. It is unknown if it will be 64, 48 or 16 teams, but it WILL happen. Conference games are not a given, but this year’s dance is. Barring a complete National collapse.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

More than anything, more than another championship nostril ring for Coach K, Duke would love to be perceived as any Ivy League institution. Full stop. If Prairie View was squashing ladies hoops, would anyone give a flying? For more reasons than one, Koach and Duke are irrelevant this season. The Ivies canceled MBB, Duke would love to do so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It was the student athletes that voted to stop the season, not the institution or the coach.
    "I don't think we should be playing right now," coach Kara Lawson said after her team's loss to Louisville. Her comments followed similar remarks from legendary Duke men's coach Mike Krzyzewski. “

Do you really believe the students did this on their own? Their coach and Coach K are on record.

"I don't think we should be playing right now," coach Kara Lawson said after her team's loss to Louisville. Her comments followed similar remarks from legendary Duke men's coach Mike Krzyzewski. “

Do you really believe the students did this on their own? Their coach and Coach K are on record.
    Stockholm syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    More than anything, more than another championship nostril ring for Coach K, Duke would love to be perceived as any Ivy League institution. Full stop. If Prairie View was squashing ladies hoops, would anyone give a flying? For more reasons than one, Koach and Duke are irrelevant this season. The Ivies canceled MBB, Duke would love to do so as well.
    Exactly why this story is troubling. They will become relevant if K decides to pause no matter the underlying reason.

I’m staying calm GoZags. Let’s hope Duke follows suit.

Exactly why this story is troubling. They will become relevant if K decides to pause no matter the underlying reason.

The lady Koaches had just lost by 30 to the Ville. Hmmm. Is there a thread up there in Durham?

Most folks assume Dook is down for the count anyway.

I believe that the article said it was decided by the student athletes. Do you not believe that?

""The student-athletes on the Duke women's basketball team have made the difficult decision to conclude their current season due to safety concerns," Michael Schoenfeld, Duke's Vice President for Public Affairs & Government Relations and Chief Communications Officer, said in a release. "
    It's not funny.

I believe that the article said it was decided by the student athletes. Do you not believe that?

""The student-athletes on the Duke women's basketball team have made the difficult decision to conclude their current season due to safety concerns," Michael Schoenfeld, Duke's Vice President for Public Affairs & Government Relations and Chief Communications Officer, said in a release. "
    No. When your coach says “We shouldn’t be playing “, she is giving the players permission to quit. If she is in the locker room telling the kids to hang in there and pointing out all the first rate protections they have compared to the rest of the country, quitting isn’t quite so easy. The kids are safer playing than not. They won’t be getting tested daily now.

No. When your coach says “We shouldn’t be playing “, she is giving the players permission to quit. If she is in the locker room telling the kids to hang in there and pointing out all the first rate protections they have compared to the rest of the country, quitting isn’t quite so easy. The kids are safer playing than not. They won’t be getting tested daily now.
    You are making assumptions based on what you believe.
    If you have a link to support your statement, please post it. The statement provided supports mine.
    It's not funny.

You are making assumptions based on what you believe.
    If you have a link to support your statement, please post it. The statement provided supports mine.
    Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    . I've heard, like GZ , that there will be a NCAA tournament although maybe with fewer teams. Vaccines should help but not completely. LMU kids and staff are on hold despite none being ill. I don't know of any of our ranked opponents that are short staffed so there should be no "taint" to our season. Go Zags...love this team.
    All I know is what I saw yesterday. Our players were happy and thrilled to finally be playing in front of fans, albeit the sparse attendance. And boy, did they ever put on a show for us. They've shown a resilience and ability to stick together as a team.
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 12-27-2020 at 05:07 PM.

They looked all smiles Tex my friend. Big D like it??

Let's not this thread go south. Nobody REALLY knows the fine points. We start arguing on the basis of it is or what it used to be and it'll be closed..

All smiles. We're top ranked in all of college basketball. . Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    They looked all smiles Tex my friend. Big D like it??

Let's not this thread go south. Nobody REALLY knows the fine points. We start arguing on the basis of it is or what it used to be and it'll be closed..

All smiles. We're top ranked in all of college basketball. . Enjoy it.
    Oh my goodness, we all loved it!

I never expected to see a gathering of players and family/friends after the game, what with covid and social distancing. We took our time leaving the arena, and saw arena personnel setting up an area in the stands near the Zags bench. Tickets were issued to family and friends, that allowed them into the cordoned off area.

Quite a few players came out: I saw Martynas, Drew (of course, he was the big star), Jalen, Joel, Corey, Will, Aaron, and Admon was in the mix, too. Also saw Corey's parents...they flew down from Seattle to see him play.

You're right, Abe, no need to rehash Covid, restrictions, social distancing, etc. The players were elated to notch another win against a ranked team, and playing in front of fans. Thanks to the weather, and good ol' Texas hospitality, the guys had a great couple of days here.

Before I forget, I asked Drew about the new look. He said it was his idea, his mom likes the beard...hates the moustache!

I sense Drew is the kind of teammate that knows how to keep his teammates loose.

Coach K knows he doesn’t have a great team this year and wants to taint things. Sorry I am not listening to him.

The ‘taint’ will be in the opinion of the observer. Many Duke, UNC, etc fans will by default claim it. We aren’t going to change their minds.

We all knew the 20/21 season was going to be different and difficult. Perseverance, resilience and determination will be hallmarks of the Champion. Survive and advance. This season will be like a LeMans race where you have to not just be fast, but reliable, and able survive and overcome breakdowns; they will happen.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I applaud LMU, and Duke, and whomever else believes they are working in the best interest of their community. Every region is a different set of circumstances.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    It is my understanding that barring a complete collapse there WILL be a well planned NCAA tournament. It is unknown if it will be 64, 48 or 16 teams, but it WILL happen. Conference games are not a given, but this year’s dance is. Barring a complete National collapse.
    If there's a surge (due to Xmas travel, holiday interactions) four to five weeks from now, it wouldn't shock me to see the plug pulled on amateur team sports. As for a 'national collapse' I think that ship has already sailed.

I hope there is a championship-deciding tournament this season.