Thread: Gonzaga vs Virginia Post Game analysis and thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs Virginia Post Game analysis and thoughts

Gonzaga 98
    Virginia 75

Great game by our Zags. I never would have thought that the Zags could score 98 points against Virginia. And honestly, I would never think that any team could. They are that good on defense. But this was an unusual game for the game. Or was it. They scored 100 against Kansas. Kispert and Timme were simple unstoppable, in the same way as they were against Kansas. Kispert made 9-13 threes, tying Dan Dickau's record for the most 3s in a game. Kispert shot 11-15 for the game and scored 32 points, also a season high. Timme was equally unstoppable from the inside canning11-13 for 29 points. I was wondering how Timme would do against Hull, the 7'1" center for Virginia. I'd say pretty well.

The other awesome thing to watch was the Defense. Zags held Virginia to 31 first half points and 7 of those came in the last minute and a half. Our defense was just great. We were able to both double down low and shut off the 3 point shooters. Gonzaga had 8 steals and 26 assists. Pretty cool, and they only turned the ball over 7 times for a season low.

I may write more later. I want to get this posted. It's already late.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Not sure if this should go here, but rather than start a post game media thread here is the writeup from the Charlottesville VA Daily Progress:

Link: https://dailyprogress.com/sports/vir...9e74eb240.html

From the article Bennett, "We were overwhelmed"

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Not sure if this should go here, but rather than start a post game media thread here is the writeup from the Charlottesville VA Daily Progress:

Link: https://dailyprogress.com/sports/vir...9e74eb240.html

From the article Bennett, "We were overwhelmed"
    I think Bennett is class all the way. The quotes in the article made it sound like the thrashing was all because of his team not meeting the challenge. I would bet heavily that the reporter left out the quotes from Tony praising Few and the Zags.

from the above article
    “I definitely think that a couple of us were scared,” Virginia point guard Kihei Clark admitted. “I don’t know if it was because we were playing Gonzaga or the moment, but you could kind of feel it a little bit.”
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 98
    Virginia 75

Great game by our Zags. I never would have thought that the Zags could score 98 points against Virginia. And honestly, I would never think that any team could. They are that good on defense. But this was an unusual game for the game. Or was it. They scored 100 against Kansas. Kispert and Timme were simple unstoppable, in the same way as they were against Kansas. Kispert made 9-13 threes, tying Dan Dickau's record for the most 3s in a game. Kispert shot 11-15 for the game and scored 32 points, also a season high. Timme was equally unstoppable from the inside canning11-13 for 29 points. I was wondering how Timme would do against Hull, the 7'1" center for Virginia. I'd say pretty well.

The other awesome thing to watch was the Defense. Zags held Virginia to 31 first half points and 7 of those came in the last minute and a half. Our defense was just great. We were able to both double down low and shut off the 3 point shooters. Gonzaga had 8 steals and 26 assists. Pretty cool, and they only turned the ball over 7 times for a season low.

I may write more later. I want to get this posted. It's already late.

Go Zags!
    I was at the game...we were all struck by how quiet it was in the arena. Offhand, I'd say there were between 1500-2000, of which a good 10% were Drew's family and friends.

I'll write much more later tonight, plenty of pictures to download, including one of a happy and healthy Martynas Arlauskas. First thing I'm going to do is watch the game on the DVR.

Heartwarming to see Corey again and meet his parents. It must be tough on them...having to fly nearly 2000 miles to see their son play in person.

Anyone know the single game records for 3’s? Did Kispert tie Dickau with 9??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Quote Originally Posted by McZag View Post

Yes and I believe Kevin Pangos tied it as a freshman also vs Wazzou
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by McZag View Post

Yes. Dickau nailed 9 in a game at LMU.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Yes. Dickau nailed 9 in a game at LMU.
    In a half too! (I think)

I think you're correct 23. I was there with the wife. I sorta breathed a sigh of relief when Few pulled Dan. Never seen a zone like that.

God! I love this team. I love the way they handle the ball, how they dribble and pass the ball. All seven of them play like guards...And all five of them can guard anyone on the opposing team. I saw Nembhard guarding Hull, the 7'1" center twice. And Timme guarding their point guard. I was a little worried before the game because Virginia had a 7'1" player. I thought that Timme might have some trouble scoring on a guy that big. But he just kept dribbling around him and making one layup after another. and if he wasn't making baskets he was making foul shots, 11-13. Yes, shooting like a guard tonight. I also like watching Timme dribble up court, dribbling behind his back and leaving the guard who's trying to keep up with him in his dust.

And then there's the passing. Gonzaga has always been a really good passing team, especially in the half-court game. But this team passes all over the whole court, and it's actually how they pass it on the fast break that get's me excited. The pass the ball with the speed of a bullet, and with the accuracy of a sharpshooter. It's so beautiful,

This team has shown that they really know how to "get up" for the big games. It seems like the bigger the game is, the better they play. I was really worried about this game because Virginia has a history of being really great on defense. And yet in this game today it was unreal how GREAT the Zags played. Not just the shooting of Kispert, and the gymnastics of Timme around the hoop. but also the passing and defense, and above all the unselfish play of every Zag on the court. All Zag teams are known for their unselfish play. It's Few's way of playing this game. But this team has taken unselfish play to a higher level, and I love that about them. I think it's going to be a fun year.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think it's going to be a fun year.
    The fun is over now, Bornie. The march towards the history books begins Monday night.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...d-this-season/

Seven games into the season, we've seen enough. The Zags can legitimately make a push at running the table
    From day one, there has been no doubt that the goal for this team has been a national championship. The way this team is constructed, with the personalities, the coaches, et al, they will only be focused on the next game. They will not be weighed down by history.

Reborn, great job of analyzing and writing about this team. They are really fun to watch at both ends of the court. Their passing is fantastic and quick. They are learning how to play a super switching defense with no fear of who they guard. When a guard gets their big guys the rest of the team works to sag and protect. Great fun to watch