Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Virginia - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Gonzaga 82
    Virginia 71

Should be a lower scoring game. Virginia has a 7' 1" Center; so this could present some difficulty for us. We'll see. Their two post players are their top scorers, 13 ppg and 11 ppg so it seems that there are not any players who are scoring a high volume of points. Virginia has only played five games; so that will help us some. I'm sure they'll be much tougher later on in the year.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we defend a 7' 1" center, and a power forward who is the leading scorer on the team. Also will Harris and Swather continue to get good minutes coming off the bench. Will Ballo be able to defend a good 7' 1" center?

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

So this itineration of Virginia has played such powerhouses such as William and Mary, St. Francis Pa, Kent State and Towson. And only lost one game to a WCC team in SF. Now not sure how the rest of you think but ranking a Defense based on that resume diminishes the value of that D to me. Those aren't bad teams, but certainly not Kansas or Iowa. We know Bennet is a D coach and can predict his game plan a bit but I think the Zags put them in their place readily. Zags control the tempo, they are just to quick to not.
    Zags 90
    Cav's 71
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

- i'm looking for a post christmas high to continue.

- 79-69 zags

Zags 76
    UVA 71
    GO ZAGS!!!

GU 91
    UV 75

Go Zags!

Zags 72 Virginia 68.
    Zags down at the at the half, but come back on fire.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Suggs has a bad half as TB sets the D for him. But other guards step up, especially AN. Watty has a good D game. Kispert buries a winner at end.

Last team to hang 80 on Virginia was Louisville last February. Zags would really send a message to the basketball world by scoring 85+ in a victory over UVa.

Be patient Zags, and make that extra pass.

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    · 2h
    Santa left a small scoop in my stocking: Saturday afternoon’s big game between No. 1 Gonzaga and No. 16 Virginia is a go; both teams have cleared COVID-19 protocols. It will be a 4 p.m. tip tomorrow on CBS.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I hope you’re having a wonderful day so far.

Slow tempo contest, but Zags show up in big games this year. This year's team is good!!!
    Bring back the 3 exclamation points, Reborn. In fact, make it 4 for the Final Four!!!!
    Gonzaga 83 Virginia 68

The Hauser kid is top shelf as is the PG. but zags have clear talent edge. Still.....

We allow 77 ppg and they allow 54ppg . Our offense will be tested. We must stiffen our defense.

Think UVA will slow it down a much as possible but Zags will just outrun them.

Zags 72
    UVA. 64
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We allow 77 ppg and they allow 54ppg . Our offense will be tested. We must stiffen our defense.
    They allow 54 against who??? Stat is swayed from obvious difference in opponents talent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    They allow 54 against who??? Stat is swayed from obvious difference in opponents talent.
    Exactly. Let's take a peek at their schedule. Beat Towson (KenPom 202), lost to the Dons (still changing my undies over that one), beat St Francis (KenPom 261), needed OT to beat Kent St (KenPom 146), and beat William & Mary (KenPom 296). Hmmm, I see no Iowa's or Auburn's there.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

True enough but the data doesn’t change from year to year. It’s almost always the same . National champs or not, the data stays close . I hope we overcome. Tough game. If we wipe em out, the country and scribe will know this team is on a different level. I already think we are. Hope so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    So this itineration of Virginia has played such powerhouses such as William and Mary, St. Francis Pa, Kent State and Towson. And only lost one game to a WCC team in SF. Now not sure how the rest of you think but ranking a Defense based on that resume diminishes the value of that D to me. Those aren't bad teams, but certainly not Kansas or Iowa. We know Bennet is a D coach and can predict his game plan a bit but I think the Zags put them in their place readily. Zags control the tempo, they are just to quick to not.
    Zags 90
    Cav's 71
    This !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Boxing Day the Zags will bring home a W.

Gonzaga 88
    UVA 76

Go Zags!!

Vegas says 74-67 Zags. They are uncannily close more often than not. I think they miss this one by a wide margin. Virginia will always play tough defense. Last year they had real trouble scoring. They got a transfer, one of the Hauser brothers, that is legit. It was thought that his presence would be enough of a boon to the offensive side that, combined with the defense, they would be a contender. I don't think it's enough to change the calculus. If Gonzaga is patient, I think they score way too many points for Virginia to keep up. I'm thinking twenty plus margin.

Tough game. Virginia is so disciplined. They milk the shot clock and look for a good shot. Am worried that the Zags will try to get into a transition game where they run down the court and quickly shoot a 3 point shot, and miss, and Virginia gets the ball and once again slows down play. The Zags can not run and gun. Play disciplined. Work it into Drew. Look for the good shot or the slash to the basket. A 6 point lead by Virginia is almost like a 15 point lead. The Zags should win, but the winning team will only score in the low 70's. Don't have a great feeling about this game, but hoping for a Zags win.

I’m thinking we’ll see something along the lines of 70-65 for the Zags. Suggs will have a frustrating game where he doesn’t get the same amount of transition buckets and assists, but will provide his usual highlight play or two. He’ll struggle in the 1st with turnovers, but will play more under control in the second half. Kispert will be hitting some momentum changing 3s, and will find ways to score on drives when the Zags need buckets. Timme will get an efficient 15, but won’t get as many good looks as he is used to. Joel Ayayi will be back to stuffing the stat sheet, and will get another double double.

I understand one should always be wary playing a TB team and playing a different style.

But this doesn't appear to be a normal TB team toughed by an ACC schedule, loss to USF, OT to sub 200 RPI team?

They have only played 5 games, we've played 6, difference is 3 of ours have been ranked, 2 in top 5, and Auburn isn't that bad, either. They have only played USF which - while not bad - isn't Iowa.

I think they will come out pumpd and then just fall apart and lost by 10: GU 77, UVA 67
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think that the biggest difference between when Bennett was at Wazzu and now is the kind of athletes we have at guard. With Suggs, Ayayi, Nembhard, Cook and company leading the way, I'm thinking that we handle Virginia pretty well. The only hiccup I can see is if Timme gets in foul trouble. Otherwise, I'm going with Zags 87, Virginia 62. Bennett just doesn't have the horses for putting the ball in the hoop

Go Zags ! Beat the Hoos !
    GU - 83 UVA - 76

Virginia 68
    Gonzaga 75
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.