Thread: This is a very unusual team

Default This is a very unusual team

Among the great Zag teams of late, this is a team of extremes. It has some significant weaknesses: little size inside, little depth inside, no rim protectors, relatively poor post defense, and overall mediocre three-point shooting. While no team is ever perfect, any of these deficiencies could be exposed and lead to defeat in the wonderful and brutal NCAA tournament.This team also has some exceptional strengths: three great offensive players in Kispert, Suggs, and Timme, tremendous across the board skill in dribbling, passing, cutting and smartly working the offense, looking to run at all times and doing so extremely well, more players than we have ever had who can create off the bounce, in Suggs, Cook, Nembhard, and Kispert, and the potential to be very good defensively up top. Can we build on our strengths and improve our deficiencies? Should be a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    Among the great Zag teams of late, this is a team of extremes. It has some significant weaknesses: little size inside, little depth inside, no rim protectors, relatively poor post defense, and overall mediocre three-point shooting. While no team is ever perfect, any of these deficiencies could be exposed and lead to defeat in the wonderful and brutal NCAA tournament.This team also has some exceptional strengths: three great offensive players in Kispert, Suggs, and Timme, tremendous across the board skill in dribbling, passing, cutting and smartly working the offense, looking to run at all times and doing so extremely well, more players than we have ever had who can create off the bounce, in Suggs, Cook, Nembhard, and Kispert, and the potential to be very good defensively up top. Can we build on our strengths and improve our deficiencies? Should be a fun ride.
    Good post. I would add that we have a lot of high-ceiling athletes on this roster; more than ever before imo.

We also have a lot of size at guard which translates to good rebounding.

Coaching staff (x’s and o’s/recruiting, etc) seems to be okay.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Coaching staff (x’s and o’s/recruiting, etc) seems to be okay.
    The best. In fact, it’s been the best for a while now, and keeps improving year-by-year. The growth Few has made over the last two decades is impressive, and it’s not as though he started out as a chump. The respect he’s gained from the game’s best speaks for itself.

We are truly lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Good post. I would add that we have a lot of high-ceiling athletes on this roster; more than ever before imo.
    overall athleticism is solid and probably highest it's ever been in the backcourt, but only suggs and harris are elite and frontcourt is probably below average if comparing to top 25 programs...

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    overall athleticism is solid and probably highest it's ever been in the backcourt, but only suggs and harris are elite and frontcourt is probably below average if comparing to top 25 programs...
    Ayayi is very long and athletic. In looking at the top 25, I think our team compares favorably in that column as a whole.

frontcourt is probably below average if comparing to top 25 programs...
    Hmmm .... let’s look at that “below average” starting front court.

1st Team (Top 5) preseason AP All American Corey Kispert

Top 10 (KenPom) Drew Timme

Now that Few is starting Nemhard over Watson it looks
    to me that GU’s starting front court is actually pretty good.

And fwiw Watson looks dialed in now

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Harris?
    dominick

We do have elite offensive players. Where are the elite defenders? Cook is one . I see some others that could be but ....

It is too early and the summer was too abbreviated to draw many conclusions.

Sometimes the light bulb just comes on and players make miraculous changes. Olynyk comes to mind. Too soon. The team hasn't been together nearly long enough. In the meantime, we can hang our hat on Kispert. He will lead the team through the early stages.
    I miss Mike Hart

dominick
    Elite? How can you possibly tell?

I think he is referring to athleticism as opposed to being an elite player. I tend to agree with that. I also think Dom has a chance to be a very good player with a chance to be special. Not there yet, but has some tools.

I also think that Ayayi is something like a Hart or other glue players. He is there when you need him. Rebounding, defense, ball handling, and being in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Hmmm .... let’s look at that “below average” starting front court.

1st Team (Top 5) preseason AP All American Corey Kispert

Top 10 (KenPom) Drew Timme

Now that Few is starting Nemhard over Watson it looks
    to me that GU’s starting front court is actually pretty good.

And fwiw Watson looks dialed in now
    the discussion was about athleticism, not overall ability...and average is probably more fair...but i was comparing with the top frontcourts, not the wcc and such. mobley brothers, kai jones & jericho sims, garrison brooks & armando bacot...those types. zags are missing that one rim protector...i watched noah mensah of sdsu almost single-handedly destroy smc the other night. 18-13-6 blocks on 8-9 shooting. the gaels were relegated to chucking up contested 3's.

to be fair, you don't need to be brandon clarke to protect the rim...ballo might someday fit the bill.

The thing about Gu teams is they can play above their individual talents. They pass the ball and generally shoot it well also. A great TEAM will beat a GREAT 2 players. The ZAGS are greater than the sum of their parts and have been for a long time. Today they have MORE talent to go with their TEAM thing.

If eyeballs or stats matter, Watson and Suggs appear to be elite defenders. Cook has been very good in previous seasons and solid for us in limited action. And I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Harris.

But to me, Watson is the best defender on the team leading the way in blocks, steals and deflections while making life miserable for cutters and slashers.

Joel A. is a weapon that no team has. How many teams in the past 30 years of college basketball had a shooting guard who collected 18 boards in a game? Regardless of what the scouts say, I feel this team falters if Joel gets injured just as much as if Suggs gets injured. Joel is a totally unique player that teams are unaccustomed to facing.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    If eyeballs or stats matter, Watson and Suggs appear to be elite defenders. Cook has been very good in previous seasons and solid for us in limited action. And I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Harris.

But to me, Watson is the best defender on the team leading the way in blocks, steals and deflections while making life miserable for cutters and slashers.
    watson's overall defensive ability/versatility almost makes up for the zags lack of a rim protector...hopefully his offensive performance against nw-state is a sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Joel A. is a weapon that no team has. How many teams in the past 30 years of college basketball had a shooting guard who collected 18 boards in a game? Regardless of what the scouts say, I feel this team falters if Joel gets injured just as much as if Suggs gets injured. Joel is a totally unique player that teams are unaccustomed to facing.
    another thing about joel...go check out his game logs...ayayi always shows up and plays his best in the biggest games. if he ever fixes his 3-ball........

edited to add: 15.7pts on 22-34 (65%) and 11.3 rebounds average against the 3 ranked opponents this year.

another thing about joel...go check out his game logs...ayayi always shows up and plays his best in the biggest games. if he ever fixes his 3-ball........

edited to add: 15.7pts on 22-34 (65%) and 11.3 rebounds average against the 3 ranked opponents this year.
    What a great stat to point out. Ayayi has this calmest coolest cat on the court demeanor that I love. He exudes confidence and is so humble at the same time; secure enough to enjoy seeing his teammates shine but asserts himself offensively when team needs him. Love this Zag who traveled far from home at 17 to pursue his hoop dreams and boy is it proving to be a great decision.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Let's not forget that he was the MOP of the WCC Tournament last year, and deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post

Watson’s smooth motion is deceptive. He doesn’t appear to have a fast twitch until the ball is suddenly flying out of an opponent’s hands.
    Parlez-vous français?

I think that the whole is better than any of the parts. I think that Watson plays great defense on defending the passing lanes, defending against opponents if they do not pay attention to where he is on the court and being a backstop to change shots for shooters (other than his own) as they get near the basket. Cook just plays hard defense, stays close to his man, and does not give up on any of the players that he is guarding. He also plays the passing lanes. Suggs and Ayayi just play quick, stay in their players face and look for where they can steal the ball all over the court. They are going to do nothing but get better as the year goes on.