Thread: Zags vs NW St Postgame Part 2

Default Zags vs NW St Postgame Part 2

Zags win 95 to 75.

2nd half was bad.

stinker

CYO

Abysmal. But, everybody has bad days, and a team is no exception, particularly a younger team.

We won..............nobody got hurt.............

Yawn.............

Nothing to see here, can't wait to play the Cavs on Saturday.

Go ZAGS
    Last edited by TacomaZAG; 12-23-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Yawn.............

Go ZAGS
    - apparently so, two post game threads, two hours after game ends, and we have all of 14 total responses.
    - this game didn't make fan base sleepy, it put it into a coma.

Sorry if this sounds like the sky is falling....but i wonder if a team has ever won a national championship giving up 61 points in a half to the 297th ranked team in kenpom. or even made a final 4? not like you could find that stat anywhere, but seems like natural defensive ability, despite effort, would prevent that from happening. I still think we're natty good, but man this is perplexing. I didn't watch the game, checked the box score, and after seeing the score expected to see that our second string played the entire 2nd half. yet that wasn't the case... clean it up zags!

NW really shot the lights out like some teams at some times do....they made some phenomenal shots....a good/great team rides these onslaughts and still win....zags won...

It looks like Timme found someone who would mix it up with him

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...on/4021674001/

Playing against each other two nights in a row, Gonzaga men's basketball forward Drew Timme and Northwestern State center Larry Owens had plenty of time to talk on the court.

One thing they talked about was Timme's mustache celebration.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

This is awesome. Two great young men, the whole NW bunch seemed like terrific kids as well as the coach. What sports should be about: competition and celebration. Congrats to both teams for having created a Yuletide interlude of joy and camaraderie.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Kitz, this is so wonderful it deserves its own thread. Like a re-set on what this is all about, or should be.

3 ball is the great equalizer in college bball...4-18 vs 12-24...zags just got lucky it happened against a team like nwstate. same thing happens against a team like byu/usf/smc and zags would be in a 50/50 game, exactly what happened to uva vs the dons. cavs 3-12 from three, dons 13-28...sanfran wins 61-60.

Zags win 95-78. In some ways it was a really good game because Northwestern State really put up a fantastic fight in the second half. It was very good to see how well they played. They were hitting 3 pointers left and right, and their center was giving Timme fits down low. Those two had quite the battle, the whole second half.

Gonzaga totally dominated State in the first half, holding them to just 17 points. That first half was perhaps some of the finest defense any Gonzaga team has played. The Zags, knowing that State can shoot the 3, were guarding them with an in your face defense. Northwestern State could not only hit any threes they couldn't even get any off. Maybe playing a great half was all that Few expected from them, because we sure laid off of them the second half. We let them get off those threes, and State kept making them one after another. That was some of the best 3 point shooting by a whole team that I've seen in awhile. Honestly, it was kind of fun to see. It was really fun seeing a team put up a dang good fight, and watching Gonzaga needing to fight back. I think the Zags were hoping to take it easy the second half, but NW State wouldn't let them. State's players wanted to show Zag fans that they too can play D1 ball. For me this game was better to watch than a game where we win by 45-50 points. This game eventually turned out to be much more than a Zag practice. It was a real, hard fought game, which is something the Zags needed. I think we all need to stand up and give Northwestern State a big applause.

On Gonzaga's side of the court, we continue to see a very good offensive team, who is capable of scoring in the 90's almost every night. Somehow they find ways to get those points. They, once again, were led by Kispert, Timme and Suggs who kind of dominated the offensive end with 25, 18, and 19 points respectively. And Watson continued to show that he's coming alive on the offensive end and really has a knack for stealing the ball...He scored 10 points last night. I thought that Harris and Swather also continued to show a lot of improvement as subs. Both are showing that they are able to score points coming off the bench and that's important. Both of them are still getting lost on the defensive end at times, but that will certainly improve with time.

I think Few and the assistants got exactly what they needed to get out of our team. I think they saw exactly what they needed to see. I know they wanted to see improved defense and they saw that the first half. I also think they wanted to see Harris and Swather get more time on the court and they got that, and both did pretty well in my opinion. I also think they wanted to see the team take better care of the ball, which they saw because the Zags only had 11 turnovers, which was their best effort this year.

As fans we need to give the Zags a little slack in our criticism I think, and give a little more credit to Northwestern State for how well those guys played in the second half. The bottom line is that the Zags got what they needed, another contest with an opponent who would battle them to the end. The Zags need games under their belt and they got a pretty good one last night. Afterall, they won by 17 points.

Looking forward to seeing the Zags against Virginia Saturday. A nice Christmas present from Santa. Thank you.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

My DVR didn't record, due to the late add.
    When I got home, the Zags were up 12-0, quickly becoming 14-0.
    The game is supposed to be fun, FOR BOTH TEAMS!

Beating the stuffing out of a team that you have already beat is NOT fun. So, the starters relaxed. They held them to 17 first half points.

The second half was different, but more because they started hitting 3's. They knew that, aside from Larry, the couldn't match the inside game. Their only hope was to shoot jumpers, especially 3's, and they did, at a 50% rate.
    That will help them in upcoming games (probably).

I have no worries that Gonzaga won't be ready on Saturday to run VA into the hardwood.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    My DVR didn't record, due to the late add.
    When I got home, the Zags were up 12-0, quickly becoming 14-0.
    The game is supposed to be fun, FOR BOTH TEAMS!

Beating the stuffing out of a team that you have already beat is NOT fun. So, the starters relaxed. They held them to 17 first half points.

The second half was different, but more because they started hitting 3's. They knew that, aside from Larry, the couldn't match the inside game. Their only hope was to shoot jumpers, especially 3's, and they did, at a 50% rate.
    That will help them in upcoming games (probably).

I have no worries that Gonzaga won't be ready on Saturday to run VA into the hardwood.
    I'm not worried about Saturday either. And know it's going to be so much fun. Beating Virginia would really be special.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!