Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graves with more PT than Arklauksas and Pavel Zacharov

Default Graves with more PT than Arklauksas and Pavel Zacharov

I am happy Graves is getting playing time along with most of the bench in this Northwestern game.
    I wonder why Arklauskas and Zacharov got zero minutes in Northwestern Game, also Iowa,
    also W. Virginia?
    Knowing our coaching staff, I am sure there are good reasons.

What worries me, Pavel was on the bench and clearly visible during team huddle. Martynas was not even on a bench
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Wouldn’t worry about it. Best players play although it does sting to watch.

We’re they in SD? I didn’t think I saw them. Might be recovering. Pure speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many players across the NCAA will be making moves in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Many players across the NCAA will be making moves in the near future.
    The most compelling reason to play these trash games. Keep the seven through xx players happy. But the Euros are now beyond xx, I’m afraid.

These cold, hard facts seem to be more apparent after last night:
    1. Few is investing in the future by playing Ballo, Dom and Strawther in lieu of Zakharov and Arlauskas. The Graves one doesn't quite fit this mold, but maybe even he has shown more promise.
    2. College basketball can be cold and hard*

*I know that this is question-begging/circular reasoning, and is only intended as a joke.

Pavel present on the bench suggests injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The most compelling reason to play these trash games. Keep the seven through xx players happy. But the Euros are now beyond xx, I’m afraid.
    One of GU's starting guards is a "Euro." You throw that term around so disparagingly. But so many of our all-time favorite Zags are from the other side of the big pond: Domas, Ronny, Elias, Shem...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I am happy Graves is getting playing time along with most of the bench in this Northwestern game.
    I wonder why Arklauskas and Zacharov got zero minutes in Northwestern Game, also Iowa,
    also W. Virginia?
    We don't know what we don't know.

There was more than one player missing from the bench last night ... and they were also missing from the bench vs Iowa.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    One of GU's starting guards is a "Euro." You throw that term around so disparagingly. But so many of our all-time favorite Zags are from the other side of the big pond: Domas, Ronny, Elias, Shem...
    Sloppy collective term, you’re right. Perhaps Inters? Trust me, no disparagement meant. Why would you say that?

I might not be your intent but it sounds like a slur. I say that because it's a bad look and I don't think you mean it that way.

I might not be your intent but it sounds like a slur. I say that because it's a bad look and I don't think you mean it that way.
    Duly noted. Appreciate the thought. Inters it will be.

Or you could use their names

Or you could use their names
    That’s probably what I was avoiding, Mr Consonant.

Ur we won! Millions of things are going on and we’ll never know what they might be. One thing to remember is that we are no 1 and rising! Be happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Ur we won! Millions of things are going on and we’ll never know what they might be. One thing to remember is that we are no 1 and rising! Be happy!!
    Number one and rising? Coming from a man of science?

Rising in other things Jazzmeister! Offense, defense, W-L re odd etc!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Rising in other things Jazzmeister! Offense, defense, W-L re odd etc!!
    Ahhh, a man of a million metrics. God bless, HNY.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    also W. Virginia?
    I'm not reading too much into this. I love Marty, but I know at this point he only gets limited minutes. Hopefully we will see him tonight if he isn't injured or on COVID watch.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

It's probably just as likely Arlauskas is out for illness, Covid or otherwise. Zakharov could be the same, neither were at the Iowa game. The only reason to transfer mid season would be to start practicing with your new team a semester early, because you cant transfer mid season and play. Why would you leave the number 1 team with a chance to win a national title? I always hate these threads, it's like people are rooting for these kids to leave. Remember, Arlauskas and Zakharov are Zags, we should be wanting them to grow and succeed, not showing them the door.

Didn't one player test positive for COVID just before Baylor? Marty?

Marty is the only player I didn't see (this includes all are walk-ons)

The writing's been on the wall for months if anyone who did the math wanted to calculate playing time at Martynas' position. And that was before Nembhard became eligible, making Aurlaskas further down the bench.

With CK returning, Marty's behind too many guys at the 3 (Ayayi, CK, Strawther) and Few would rather play 4 guards and one big than put Martynas at the 4.

As far as Pavel - Gonzaga (and very few elite teams) have meaningful PT for multiple young bigs who can't stretch the floor and are slow and limited to the traditional "5". Oumar has obviously emerged over Pavel in that role. Was it ever in doubt?

It's interesting to read the kind of expectations and predictions made regularly to describe a world of broader bench participation, no transfers, and no disappointments. It fits a participation trophy view of the team where everyone's a meaningful start, but that's not the world we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The incoming freshmen are too good to just sit and watch. My guess is that Few will play more than 8 players this year. IMO there's a 65% chance that Few will use a 10 player rotation, and a 35% chance that that rotation will be a 12 player rotation. What I'm saying is that there's a very good chance to see a ten player rotation, and a fair chance that we'll see a 12 player rotation.
    Suggesting a person won't play meaningful time or will transfer isn't a personal insult. Suggesting that someone of Martynas' skills (last year or now) will see meaningful PT is understandable as an insult to the guys actually earning the minutes. It says "you know what, you're worse (or not much better) than X bench-warmer".

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I always hate these threads, it's like people are rooting for these kids to leave. Remember, Arlauskas and Zakharov are Zags, we should be wanting them to grow and succeed, not showing them the door.
    It's quite the opposite for me, and I do want them to succeed. I want them to show what the coaches have seen in them for the past few years.

Hold on, what about those “Zags” who left the nest and found great success at other stops, like Creighton and Oklahoma? The system is perhaps unfair to some, but there are exceptions. Conversely, let’s not forget how many wonderful young men have transferred in, to major applause. They presumably were less happy and under appreciated where they were as well.