View Poll Results: The BZ Bulldog of The Game - Northwestern State - Game 1 - 12. 21. 2020 ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suggs

2 2.60%
  • Timme

0 0%
  • Watson

7 9.09%
  • Kispert

65 84.42%
  • Harris

2 2.60%
  • Strawther

0 0%
  • Nembhard

0 0%
  • Other. . .(and why)

1 1.30%

Thread: The BZ Bulldog of The Game - Northwestern State - Game 1 - 12. 21. 2020

Default The BZ Bulldog of The Game - Northwestern State - Game 1 - 12. 21. 2020

SIDEARM STATS LINK: https://gozags.com/sidearmstats/mbball/media

The Demons were no match for the Zags. Gonzaga's second unit got a fair amount of playing time this evening in a 95 - 57 win. Kispert led all scorers with 27. Harris, Suggs, Timme, and Watson all scored in double figures.

Who is your player of the game ?

Kispert tonight
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Kispert and Suggs came to play. Lack of energy in the first half. Watson’s play improved in garbage time against an inferior opponent - not sure how much you can take away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Kispert and Suggs came to play. Lack of energy in the first half. Watson’s play improved in garbage time against an inferior opponent - not sure how much you can take away from that.
    Not much.

Harris is legit. I expect he'll get some PT against UVA. Strawther good too.

Cocoa Krispies for the win!!!!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Cocoa Krispies for the win!!!!
    My kids call him "Krispy Kritter"

A few sloppy turnovers and less than stellar finishes on several shots at the rim but otherwise a nice scrimmage. NW State played a nice game. Made us play defense.

Glad Few was able to get this on the schedule on the fly so we can work on depth and some wrinkles (like the press) going into the game with UVA.

Nine players scored (hard to believe Ayayi didn't). Good shooting percentage. Decent FT shooting (nice to see Watson 6-6). Other than some understandable lethargy after playing less than 48 hours following an emotional/energy draining win against #3, and flight back to West Coast, what's not to like.

When Kispert fouled out of the Iowa game, I knew they would make the final score closer than the game really was. Kispert is the last player I would want to foul out of a game. He is the bedrock that holds everything together. The one player you can hang your hat on for consistency and maturity. He is always ready to go.

Kispert is the player of the game.

Shout out to Watson for some good defensive sequences.
    I miss Mike Hart

Kispert is the obvious choice and will be for many games, sooooo...I voted for Harris for his defensive tenacity and his career high in scoring.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

This is an easy one: Kispert

But it was nice to get to see lots of minutes for the subs. Great coaching opportunity.

I enjoyed watching Kispert and Suggs the whole night. Nice to see them give it 100%. I really enjoyed Harris and Swather in the second half. And that IS exactly what I was hoping to see. Like other I did enjoy Watson's effort on defense in the second half, and he HIT a 3 point shot and got 7 boards. He seemed much more comfortable playing on the second team. But I will say one thing that is not good about him. He played horrible the first half and acted like he didn't even want to play. And Timme was really not much better. Timme should have dominated down low the way Kispert did; so I was quite disappointed by Timme and hope he comes out ready to play tomorrow. He needs to get more creative on offense, because right now everyone knows exactly what his moves are, and they are NOT working. He needs to develop an outside shot. Ayayi was another who seemed like he would have rather stayed home. No effort at all, imo. 1 rebound, 0 points. Swather played ten times better imo. I liked Swather's game a lot.

There was a huge let down the first half, which really is expected. They played some great teams so far. I just thought they'd play better at home, but maybe it bothered them not to have the student body there. But at least we had some guys who did come to play, and for that I feel pretty good. Ballo is sure a good free throw shooter. I wonder if he has a good outside shot? He played good defense tonight; so I believe he's improving. He should have made a couple of dunks. All in all, I will go to bed happy and wake up happy, and just hope a couple guys come to play tomorrow that didn't tonight.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

- kispert came to play tonight
    - love it when even an unschooled fan such as myself can see year to year improvement in a player.
    - kispert exudes confidence, and unlike a year or two ago he finishes at the rim consistently.

I'm voting for Reborn, who loaned them his old uniforms for tonight.

Kispert was awesome of course, but kudos to Anton for his 2nd half effort. That's the Watson we were all expecting !

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    I'm voting for Reborn, who loaned them his old uniforms for tonight.
    Question for Reborn, was “Zags” ever part of the nomenclature back in the 60’s at Gonzaga? During my time on campus in the late 80’s, early 90’s, I recall that the Women’s Volleyball team had Zags on their uniforms, but everyone else were the Gonzaga Bulldogs.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Question for Reborn, was “Zags” ever part of the nomenclature back in the 60’s at Gonzaga? During my time on campus in the late 80’s, early 90’s, I recall that the Women’s Volleyball team had Zags on their uniforms, but everyone else were the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
    I recall newspaper articles in the 50's and 60's referring to the team as the "Zags". I think they were occasionally referred to as the "Boone Avenue Blues" back in the 50's.

During my 4 year stay (65/66 thru 68/69) the home whites had only GU on the shoulder portion of the sleeve, nothing but a number front and back.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I overlap with Reborn (not on the team but years at GU). I think my memory is pretty accurate but Reborn can correct if I'm misremembering. Our sports teams and to some extent students in general frequently used the term "Zags" in the late 60s. My guess is because it was cooler to say than "Bulldogs" and it put the emphasis on the syllable that was almost always mispronounced by outsiders.

The uniform during that time had a t-shirt top with the short-sleeves. Numbers front and back with G U on one sleeve and G plus maybe a bulldog face on the other. I don't recall school name on the front or player name on the back. The t-shirt style was from an earlier era. By 1970, I think only GU and maybe New Mexico State or some other team were the only D-1 programs still using the t-shirt style (side note: Georgetown with Patrick Ewing and crew re-popularized the t-shirt later except they wore it as gray undershirt with the uniform shirt, which was now sleeveless, on top).

For the 1970-71 season (after Reborn graduated), the team (finally) went to the sleeveless shirt. I like to think it was my persuasive editorial in The Bulletin - but, we'll never know (Hank was not a fan of my stuff). In any event, the home whites featured ZAGS in large letters across the chest with a large number below. I think that is the first time (to my knowledge) "Zags" was incorporated in the uniform. Of course, the shorts were still the short-shorts and didn't disappear for another 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    I overlap with Reborn (not on the team but years at GU). I think my memory is pretty accurate but Reborn can correct if I'm misremembering. Our sports teams and to some extent students in general frequently used the term "Zags" in the late 60s. My guess is because it was cooler to say than "Bulldogs" and it put the emphasis on the syllable that was almost always mispronounced by outsiders.

The uniform during that time had a t-shirt top with the short-sleeves. Numbers front and back with G U on one sleeve and G plus maybe a bulldog face on the other. I don't recall school name on the front or player name on the back. The t-shirt style was from an earlier era. By 1970, I think only GU and maybe New Mexico State or some other team were the only D-1 programs still using the t-shirt style (side note: Georgetown with Patrick Ewing and crew re-popularized the t-shirt later except they wore it as gray undershirt with the uniform shirt, which was now sleeveless, on top).

For the 1970-71 season (after Reborn graduated), the team (finally) went to the sleeveless shirt. I like to think it was my persuasive editorial in The Bulletin - but, we'll never know (Hank was not a fan of my stuff). In any event, the home whites featured ZAGS in large letters across the chest with a large number below. I think that is the first time (to my knowledge) "Zags" was incorporated in the uniform. Of course, the shorts were still the short-shorts and didn't disappear for another 20 years.
    Fantastic history! Thanks!

Here is a shot of The Pride of Morton Wa, Bill Suter from 1966 I believe. It should be pointed out that the team colors were Columbia Blue and Red with Red being a highlight.
    Birddog