Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Baylor Game

Default Potential Baylor Game

I would think we would find out today if the Baylor game will be added back in or not. They may be able to find time during the conference season to make it happen, but I would think that if they canít make it happen for this week, with the Zags only playing an hour away from Waco on Saturday, the game will not be played this season.

I would think either Sunday the 27th or this Thursday the 24th would be the two likely dates.

Anyone think we hear good news today that this game gets scheduled for this week? I have a feeling the ball is in Baylorís court right now, and the Zags have already communicated the interest to make it happen this week...especially after yesterdayís win.

I think it’s unlikely at this point.
    Baylor has a few Big 12 games to make up.
    I believe both teams and coaches want to play this game but conference games come first.
    Still, fingers crossed.

ZERO chance

remember when we used to play one outside game in the middle of our Conference season?
    did we lose that when we added Pacific?

Don't the guys have to be back in Spokane for a game tomorrow?

I'd pass on baylor rn. Whoa don't come for me!!

We have had a tough schedule. I am ready for us to move past baylor and worry about them in march or april.
    Love the zags for life

I have a feeling that Gonzaga will squeeze in at least one more high level opponent before March. I would love to see Baylor or Tennessee reappear on the schedule, but I would be equally pleased with a surprise announcement related to a team that was never on the schedule. At some point, a WCC opponent may pause team activities during the pandemic. There will undoubtedly be national programs that have sudden open dates on the schedule. I’m sure the athletic department will be watching for those opportunities all season long.

It would have been nice but doubtful at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I'd pass on baylor rn. Whoa don't come for me!!

We have had a tough schedule. I am ready for us to move past baylor and worry about them in march or april.
    Given this will be the shortest season ever, and perhaps the best Zags team ever, I want all the quality opponents and games possible.

I'd love to play every ranked team out there! It will be big disappointment if our last top-25 opponent until the tournament is in a week. Bring on some bizarre bubble round robin with Villanova, MSU, Tennesssee, and Houston!

(I know it would result in some Ls, but would be fun to watch and would ultimately help the team unless there was an injury)

- given the rumor is correct and we will be playing northwestern state twice, back to back on the 21st and 22nd, we can forget about any baylor game in december.
    - but who knows come january or february, teams might shut down due to covid and both gonzaga and baylor have an openning? that is probably the only way that game will come off.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    remember when we used to play one outside game in the middle of our Conference season?
    did we lose that when we added Pacific?
    That all changed with conference expansion. The big name leagues like the ACC are now playing 20 or more regular season league games. No space for an intersectional matchup like GU used to do with Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    That all changed with conference expansion. The big name leagues like the ACC are now playing 20 or more regular season league games. No space for an intersectional matchup like GU used to do with Memphis.
    Then there was that one dreadful year we played in the bracket buster. Tulsa?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Then there was that one dreadful year we played in the bracket buster. Tulsa?
    Yes. One of the most important games in Gonzaga Basketball history vis a vis "the streak" of 21 straight dances.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...Gonzaga-(long)

Zags traveled to San Diego for the WCC tourney and were upset by the Toreros in the Final -- leaving them with an RPI of 43 and 8 losses on the season.

However, (and the point of this long winded story) is the Zags' last regular season home game (Senior night for Zach and Winston). It was the Bracket Buster ESPN2 game against Tulsa -- won 69-60 by Gonzaga in front of a packed, rowdy Kennel and the National TV audience. Also in the house was Karl Benson, Commissioner of the WAC and a member of the NCAA Selection Committee.

I had a conversation with Mike Roth in '06 (or '07) about just how important it was for Gonzaga that Karl Benson was at that game. During the Selection Committee meetings -- Gonzaga was THE hot topic. The majority of the committee felt VERY strongly that 43 was too high an RPI to be considered "in" and really -- who HAD this mid-major (who couldn't even win their conference tourney) beaten to justify an invitation to the dance? Washington? (RPI of 161), Washington State? (RPI of 232). North Carolina State in the Jimmy V? (RPI of 53). This uppity Mid Major HAD their chance to make a statement and they HAD failed, losing to Indiana (RPI of 47), losing to Kentucky (RPI of 1), losing to Georgia (RPI of 5), losing to Stanford (RPI of 21), losing AT HOME to St. Joseph's (RPI of 27) - albeit the loss was by 1 in OT. They also had those two horrific conference losses -- to RPI 229 Loyola Marymount and AT HOME to RPI 241 Portland.

However, Karl Benson was in the room, and he had a voice. I don't know Karl Benson, but I understand him to be a persuasive gentleman. Because he had been in the Kennel for the Senior night OOC Bracketbuster game -- because he understood how tough mid major conference games can be (it's rare that any mid-major can go unscathed through conference), because he understood that this Gonzaga team DESERVED an invitation to the dance, he convinced the others to include the Zags, who were seeded at #9. But these Zags were soooo close to being left home.

That led to what Mike Roth (at the time) said was the most important NCAA tourney game in Zag history -- the opening round game against Huggins and Cincinnati. GU had been bounced in the first round the year before. Would it happen again? WAS Gonzaga to be simply another mid-major flash in the pan?

We all remember (at least most of us do) the 74-69 opening round win over the Bearcats as the United States of America was initiating "Shock and Awe" in Iraq. Then, the 96-95 double o.t. 2nd round loss to 1 seed Arizona. Gonzaga WASN'T going to "disappear" and Gonzaga WAS going to stay relevant -- thanks in large part to Bracketbusters.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I think it’s unlikely at this point.
    Baylor has a few Big 12 games to make up.
    I believe both teams and coaches want to play this game but conference games come first.
    Still, fingers crossed.
    I also agree that it's unlikely now. Our December schedule is pretty full with these added games. And yes, the WCC games should always take priority.

Baylor won't happen unless in the NCAA Tourney. I want to see Strawther and Harris the next two nights and see what they can do. Ballo needs to have big games against the drop in competition imo. Ballo has to step up we will need him as we progress through the season. At this point im intrigued to see Ben Gregg, he can shoot it and has a high basketball IQ. Its unlikely he has an impact this year but we may need him to play 5-7 minutes.
    America's Team!

Brian Hamilton, Hoops writer for The Athletic, chimed in with a scenario / suggestion for a Bears - Bulldogs get-together:

My next suggestion is going to involve a lot of folks working together: Gonzaga and Baylor must resolve to get their game back on the schedule, and itís not going to be easy. But if Mark Few and Scott Drew were serious about finding a way, they need to loop in the Big 12 and West Coast Conference pooh-bahs and ask for some cooperation all the way around. Stay with me here.

Squeeze the game in on Thursday, Jan. 21, on a neutral floor. Maybe revisit Fort Worth, Texas; itíll limit the travel strain on Baylor, and Gonzaga has that routine down after playing Virginia there. Or maybe thereís a gym in Denver that can serve as a meet-me-halfway point.

Now hereís the tricky part: Both Baylor and Gonzaga have games on Saturday that would have to be pushed to Sunday. Which would be easy enough. But that has a daisy-chain effect in the Big 12, particularly, where an Oklahoma State-Iowa State game set for the following Monday has to be bumped. Solution for that? Shift it to Wednesday, which leaves both teams enough time for prep for that one and the Big 12/SEC Challenge games to follow that weekend.

Is it messy? Yes. Are there probably a ton of broadcast rights issues and day-off rules that complicate this plan? Assuredly. Does this heedlessly ask too much of the humans involved who have to play the games? Should that be the case, donít bother. For sure. Itís not that important. But if it can be done reasonably and safely, then hopefully everyone can come together on it. It would be great if we could make sure we see Gonzaga-Baylor at least once.
    Wouldn't it be nice ?

https://theathletic.com/2293505/?source=twittered

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Brian Hamilton, Hoops writer for The Athletic, chimed in with a scenario / suggestion for a Bears - Bulldogs get-together:

Wouldn't it be nice ?

https://theathletic.com/2293505/?source=twittered
    A big time sponsor needs to step up, and write large checks to both conferences. There are athletic departments in both conferences that could use the assistance.

Default Potential Baylor Game

The only way these teams meet is in the tournament at this point. Frankly, whatís the value in playing each other now? Theyíll both be one seeds anyway, assuming they take care of business in the conference slates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The only way these teams meet is in the tournament at this point. Frankly, what’s the value in playing each other now? They’ll both be one seeds anyway, assuming they take care of business in the conference slates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would think that both teams would want to maintain some scheduling flexibility to cover potential conference rescheduling requirements.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    A big time sponsor needs to step up, and write large checks to both conferences. There are athletic departments in both conferences that could use the assistance.
    like Amazon or UPS

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    like Amazon or UPS
    Are there any other Nike schools in the WCC ?

I would prefer to not play them until we get to Indy. Not to sound selfish, but we have a realistic chance to go undefeated in the regular season, and Baylor could beat us. Going undefeated is something special, natty or no natty. We need to stay focused; every other WCC team will now have our game marked on their calendars.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

I have pondered the Zags playing Baylor for the championship with both teams coming in undefeated. Would be a story for the ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I have pondered the Zags playing Baylor for the championship with both teams coming in undefeated. Would be a story for the ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A much more preferable option, IMO. Record ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    A much more preferable option, IMO. Record ratings.
    If Baylor can go undefeated playing Kansas, WVU, Texas, Texas Tech twice each plus their conference tourney they will be scary. I'd take the over on 2 losses by NCAA tourney time for Baylor.