Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sabonis of guards

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I was pretty certain he’d wriggle away, you’re right. But I never doubted his brilliance.
    I’ve been saying for two years he would lead us to a championship and go down as the greatest Zag of the Mark Few era. Check the tape.

I know a lot of people dislike people gloating about being right, but you know what I dislike? People incessantly posting negativity about a phenomenal young man like Jalen and then trying to lead the pep rally when he was proven dead wrong. Check the tape. “Poseur”.

Don’t be a jerk, unless of course you would
    like to see another mass exodus from
    the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I’ve been saying for two years he would lead us to a championship and go down as the greatest Zag of the Mark Few era. Check the tape.

I know a lot of people dislike people gloating about being right, but you know what I dislike? People incessantly posting negativity about a phenomenal young man like Jalen and then trying to lead the pep rally when he was proven dead wrong. Check the tape. “Poseur”.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Quote Originally Posted by StatsZag View Post
    What do you know or suspect about Ben Gregg that would make you this optimistic?

He was a kid that GU didn't want to offer until 4 months ago, even though they could have done so and gotten a commit at any time.
    He has dominated at the HS level, can shoot the 3 and play inside. He isn't proven in college, obviously, but should be able to get spot minutes and maybe more...he's a coaches kid, so knows the game.

The staff may have KNOWN that he would commit if offered, buy were eyeing Banchero. When he went to the devil(s), they offered.

What do you know that makes you that pessimistic?
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

I am not going to engage any of the silliness on the bottom.

As for greatest Zag leading us to a championship, this is a weird year, and yes, we've sort of run through the ringer so far and proven ourselves.

But I do want to at least note that Nigel Williams-Goss had us 2:00 minutes, one sprained ankle and 2 inexplicable whistles (that even analysts months later said were just wrong and hosed us) from out first NC.

Yes, I know, shoulda, woulda, coulda, I get it. But Nigel also had a "presence" and maturity that is extremely rare. Suggs is absolutely the most gifted athlete and raw player but I think there is room for looking at maturity in it all (not saying Suggs is immature, but Nigel was a college grad and had a few years on him)

I am not even really arguing. I am just saying that I think NWG had that NC under his belt, and was right there anyway - yes, woulda' coulda' but in a fair world and Suggs doesn't have it yet
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

As for greatest Zag leading us to a championship, this is a weird year, and yes, we've sort of run through the ringer so far and proven ourselves.

But I do want to at least note that Nigel Williams-Goss had us 2:00 minutes, one sprained ankle and 22 inexplicable whistles (that even analysts months later said were just wrong and hosed us) from out first NC.

Yes, I know, shoulda, woulda, coulda, I get it. But Nigel also had a "presence" and maturity that is extremely rare. Suggs is absolutely the most gifted athlete and raw player but I think there is room for looking at maturity in it all (not saying Suggs is immature, but Nigel was a college grad and had a few years on him)

I am not even really arguing. I am just saying that I think NWG had that NC under his belt, and was right there anyway - yes, woulda' coulda' but in a fair world and Suggs doesn't have it yet
    Agree with everything with one minor fix.

I was pretty certain he’d wriggle away, you’re right. But I never doubted his brilliance.
    In Jazz's defense its easy to get a little jaded after so many kids who you are salivating over end up at UCLA, Arizona, Kansas ect...
    While players like Dranginis,Hart,Dench built this program you have to have the truly elite to complete at the top. We all love players like the three mentioned who are all special players in their own right but not elite. In my opinion coach Few is as good as any in the business but deep down we all know you have to have the horses.
    Yes there will always be kids a who slip through cracks like the "Bonus" Rui or BC that turn out to be unbelievable and were not all that highly recruited but thats not the norm.
    Zag's have reached a totally different level of recruting the last two years and not stopping anytime soon.

But I do want to at least note that Nigel Williams-Goss had us 2:00 minutes, one sprained ankle and 2 inexplicable whistles (that even analysts months later said were just wrong and hosed us) from out first NC.

To be fair NWG had a squad. If the team wasnt as good as they were, we are eliminated in the sweet 16 with Goss 2 for 13 shooting. We have had a lot of solid to elite players with lesser teams that get eliminated in march when the star shot poor.

Nwg was blessed to have been a great player on a great team or you and others wouldnt be talking this.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by StatsZag View Post
    What do you know or suspect about Ben Gregg that would make you this optimistic?

He was a kid that GU didn't want to offer until 4 months ago, even though they could have done so and gotten a commit at any time.
    Huh? All he said was he would be interested to see Ben’s contribution when he came on board. Everyone should know that we didn’t offer him a scholarship because we were going for probably the best kid in the field. When that didn’t work out we were more than happy that Ben was still waiting for us to offer him.

I don’t know how much he can help us this year, but neither do you.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    I don’t know how much he can help us this year, but neither do you.
    I don't know.

But I strongly suspect "not very much" (just as nearly anyone plucked from a high school last week and sent to GU next week would not jump in midstream and help GU this year, especially someone ranked 55-79th by ESPN, Rivals, 247)

I'm curious about view that aren't mind, and since Jazz and a few others seem at least open to the possibility that Gregg helps GU win games this season, I simply asked why he thought that was realistic.

This is no knock on Gregg. He seems like a great NW kid. I have high hopes for his future. But very few actual Freshman bigs are any good their first year in D1, Gregg wasn't meriting an offer 4 months ago, and isn't even really a freshman in the sense of someone who played 4 years of high school sports. His 3rd year of high school playing was truncated and his 4th never began. And he's joining the best college basketball roster in the nation (though thin among post players).

No way Few ever plays this guy in a meaningful minute this year. More Kispert (or Strawther) at the 4, with Watson or Timme or Ballo at the 5.

Well said Dixie and I agree all around.

Zags were the best team in the nation that year. Kenpom had us #1 as well. Neither team actually played well (anywhere close to their ceiling) in that national championship game. I think with fair whistles, Zags win 7of10 against UNC.

Oregon (at that point in the year) was the 2nd best team. 4 of their 5 starters were subsequent NBA draftees. They were a Jordan Bell missed rebound from beating UNC.

You’re a very smart and kind man, Bornie. Yakima’s finest. I’ll start any team with the Bonus, Ammo and Suggsy. Me and you fill it out.
    Love this