Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sabonis of guards

Default The Sabonis of guards

For GU, Suggsy is the Sabonis of guards.

Those are some rosey glasses you're wearing Jazz. Sabonis' freshman year he averaged 21 min, under 10 pts, and 7 RB. Damontis did not take us to a final four in his career, or result in a quantum increase for the program. Jalen is unique with no comparator as a freshman. This season remains to be seen, but for the program I'd say he's more like junior year Ammo. In my view Adam brought a quantum increase in respect and recognition to the program.

What's kind of funny is during yesterday's game, maybe at about Sugg's 57th 3 pt make that there was at least one other playerJazz will like as much as Sabonis.

Too bad it has to be this screwed up season.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Those are some rosey glasses you're wearing Jazz. Sabonis' freshman year he averaged 21 min, under 10 pts, and 7 RB. Damontis did not take us to a final four in his career, or result in a quantum increase for the program. Jalen is unique with no comparator as a freshman. This season remains to be seen, but for the program I'd say he's more like junior year Ammo. In my view Adam brought a quantum increase in respect and recognition to the program.
    I was on a different track. If Suggs makes the all star game by his third or fourth year, is what I’m projecting. With both, however, their fire and skill, you just know.

I’m not to wild about your comparison Jazz. Off the top I’ll say he is the best 1st year player since Frank Burgess

It’s a clumsy comparison, Birdman. Great is great, how’s that.

We all know how much Jazz loves Sabonis. So I see that actually Jazz is paying Jalen a huge compliment because in Jazz's eyes if you are equal to Sabonis, you are the greatest and Jazz loves you. I get you Jazz. The comparisons I see is their toughness, and their relentless spirit. Winners to the core of their being. For me I put them both in the class with Adam Morrison because of all the players I love who played at Gonzaga, Adam was the purest of all winners. No one laid it all out there like Adam did. If you know me you know much I love Adam Morrison.

Go Zags!

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    We all know how much Jazz loves Sabonis. So I see that actually Jazz is paying Jalen a huge compliment because in Jazz's eyes if you are equal to Sabonis, you are the greatest and Jazz loves you. I get you Jazz. The comparisons I see is their toughness, and their relentless spirit. Winners to the core of their being. For me I put them both in the class with Adam Morrison because of all the players I love who played at Gonzaga, Adam was the purest of all winners. No one laid it all out there like Adam did. If you know me you know much I love Adam Morrison.

Go Zags!

Go Zags!
    You’re a very smart and kind man, Bornie. Yakima’s finest. I’ll start any team with the Bonus, Ammo and Suggsy. Me and you fill it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

Go Zags!

Go Zags!
    Something I agree with here. The Bonus has always been tucked away nice and neat in his heart. With great reason too. The Bonus could and did guard just about everyone and was clutch AF. No he didn’t make the final four but he was a reason our streaks of S16s and NCAA tourneys are still around. Great NBA player developing into Indiana’s best player. He was one of the best players in country in 15-16 also ... just played with inexperienced guards.
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It’s a clumsy comparison, Birdman. Great is great, how’s that.
    That's cool. I agree he'll be an NBA All Star before long and making it at the guard position is daunting. Locally we have 6'7" Cade Cunningham at OK St who was the preseason consensus #1 draft pick. I've watched him a couple of times and I think Suggs is a little better. Both are super studs.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

best freshman I've seen at GU, period. I wonder about his durabilty tho, he takes crazy hits every game. I know he's tough, footballer and all, but he's still got a human body

yesterday he did it in a 2nd half where he showed all the signs of being gassed, yet willed in a crazy 3 and willed out the last 10 minutes. Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    That's cool. I agree he'll be an NBA All Star before long and making it at the guard position is daunting. Locally we have 6'7" Cade Cunningham at OK St who was the preseason consensus #1 draft pick. I've watched him a couple of times and I think Suggs is a little better. Both are super studs.
    I have seen both and not only is Suggs the better player rite now, he is also more talented, which means that he also has a higher ceieling. Cunningham is good, not great player, and is overhyped by the media.I just wish we had got to play all the games. The nba is obcessed with length. Cunnungham is 6'8'' and can play point guard and the nba this is the rype player that thenba loves. I guess that is why Cunningham is hyped so much. Like I said in my opinion, Cunningham is a very good not great player. Suggs is not only better than him rite now, but is more talented and will be the better player in the long run.

Suggs has already exceeded the number of plays where i literally said "seriously, how did he do that as a freshman? holy crap!" than I did with Sabonis his entire time at Gonzaga. Sabonis was great at GU, but i feel his best days are in the NBA as it was with Stockton. Suggs is lightning in a bottle and when he learns to take care of the ball game in and game out, without losing his potential for playmaking, he'll be unstoppable in college.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Still amazed at this effort !!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1340365774469406732

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jazz, I'm not sure you should be allowed to bask in the Suggs glory considering your absolute refusal to believe he would come to GU.

Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Zag View Post
    Jazz, I'm not sure you should be allowed to bask in the Suggs glory considering your absolute refusal to believe he would come to GU.
    I was pretty certain he’d wriggle away, you’re right. But I never doubted his brilliance.

My dads all time favorite player is sabonis. Every game he would say "my man!". Lol
    Love the zags for life

Lol, I was thinking it’d be Ayayi after his 18 rebound effort. This team has a number of guys who would have started on just about every past Gonzaga team. I’m glad that Suggs is determined to forge his legend at Gonzaga before moving onto the NBA. He’s clearly a top 5 pick, and winning could push him into consideration for the top spot. The kid is a winner!

Suggs run back for a block reminds me of DK Metcalf running down Budda Baker

Or Josh in the magical run.....

That still is one of the MOST amazing plays I have ever seen. Baker couldn't believe it. I had no idea that Metcalf was THAT fast.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Jalen is leading the NCAA in broken ankles.

Spectacular speed om these high end athletes. I'm pretty confident we've never had a first or "any year" PG as fine as Suggs. I'm still saying he will lead us to an undefeated regular season. As we all know, once you get tot he "Dance' anything can happen. We are just back on the courts. If we continue to improve as the season progresses, I do think we can go bumper to bumper with no losses. This team is that good. I'll be interested in Ben's contribution when he comes on board. To me, Ballo need a year or two. Ben might surprise. I do think we need another big to be fed. Nice thing about Suggs, is that he can make his own points. Just wow Just 4 games in..........this team and Suggs look like world beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Still amazed at this effort !!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1340365774469406732

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    That was phenomenal. Nothing but sheer determination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Spectacular speed om these high end athletes. I'm pretty confident we've never had a first or "any year" PG as fine as Suggs. I'm still saying he will lead us to an undefeated regular season. As we all know, once you get tot he "Dance' anything can happen. We are just back on the courts. If we continue to improve as the season progresses, I do think we can go bumper to bumper with no losses. This team is that good. I'll be interested in Ben's contribution when he comes on board. To me, Ballo need a year or two. Ben might surprise. I do think we need another big to be fed. Nice thing about Suggs, is that he can make his own points. Just wow Just 4 games in..........this team and Suggs look like world beaters.
    What do you know or suspect about Ben Gregg that would make you this optimistic?

He was a kid that GU didn't want to offer until 4 months ago, even though they could have done so and gotten a commit at any time.