Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was Suggs so upset about?

Default What was Suggs so upset about?

At the end of the game, Suggs was clearly upset. He also got some words, then a hug from Few. What was that all about? Did someone give him a cheap shot?

I thought he was clearly fouled on that made 3 earlier. Which contrasted with the call against him earlier when refs called him on a foul

I believe Garza did. Refs did not review play.

He’s ultra demanding of himself. Special kid.

He was mad about his 2nd half in general I think. Refs had a very bad whistle the last 10 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    He was mad about his 2nd half in general I think. Refs had a very bad whistle the last 10 as well
    This

Zags seemed to get penalized for being up so big. Should not have been that close. But didn’t think game was ever really in doubt. Still put up 99. They could not stop our scoring.

I felt it was about his second half performance because he was turning the ball over so much. But I'll say one thing, that 3 pointer he made late in the game (which he WAS fouled on) was a huge play, and showed his guts and confidence. If part of it was because of the reffing, I kind of agree. He WAS fouled on that 3 and the refs really limited the playing time of two of our very best players, Timme and Kispert. Both fouled out.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Kinda strange Suggs was called for a foul on a three attempt were I saw no contact live (maybe there was didn't see a replay). Then gets fouled on his own attempt and no whistle. There was some game managing going on by the refs in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He’s ultra demanding of himself. Special kid.
    YUP, he will learn that when the game goes to the "ugly faze"....you just win and smile...hes got NOTHING to hang his head about.

The refs must have been told at half to try to keep it close so the people would keep watching on tv. I can't imagine why else that every time the Zags got hammered under the basketball there was no call, but every time we looked hard at Iowa it was a foul. I also notice that every time we set a screen it was a foul, but every time Iowa set a moving screen, no call. With an even whistle the Zags win by 25.

There were at least a dozen missed,and rather obvious, over the back calls on Iowa that would have made the score what it should have been, a 35-40 point win

I was upset too!
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I was upset too!
    I was not really upset, we won, But I didn't like the refs. Remember that the Big-10 and the Acc are the media darling conferences, and shouldn't be loosing to teams in the WCC media's eyes, so the refs had to try to keep it close.

Gorgeous game from the Zags! Awful second half from the Zebras.

Aside from a handful of plays, the Zags never really needed to get out of 3rd gear on this one.

I loved that Coach Few hugged him . Special bond.

That traveling call on Suggs near the end in the backcourt was the ref auditioning for a stand up comedy act. One of many, together in the second half they should be able to have a good tape for the Comedy Club.

Horrendous last 10 minutes by the "officials" (and I use the term "officials" very loosely!). Managing the spread to keep it respectable, any unbiased observer could see that. And then to have Iowa Coach McCaffery #####ing about a late call that didn't go his way. Hope we get to play this bunch again in March!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

His stats by half:

1st-5-7 (5-6 3's) for 18 pts., 3RB, 2 each Assists, TO, and steals
    2nd-3-10 (2-4 3's) for 9 pts. 4 RB, 2 assists, 5 TO, and 1 steal.

I'm guessing he was pretty upset by his 2nd half performance, especially the 5 TO. He's had 5 total in the previous 3 games. Such high personal standards.

I was thinking he got nicked up early in the 2nd half. Held his rib or solar plexus after being fouled under the basket. I noticed it a few times. Missing the dunk also put him down hard again. He's a tough kid but we need him healthy throughout the season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Kinda strange Suggs was called for a foul on a three attempt were I saw no contact live (maybe there was didn't see a replay). Then gets fouled on his own attempt and no whistle. There was some game managing going on by the refs in this one.
    That's what I saw as well.

I thought the calls went more Iowa's way in this game. I disagree a little with some posts, but also admit I am no expert.
    I have trouble thinking the referees are trying to manage the outcome of a game like this on purpose, or by agreement.
    I do think refs can be influenced by vengeful crowds sometimes (not a factor here) or by subconscious needs.
    When i read other message boards where everyone blames the ref's for this and that, I am usually just as unimpressed with the messages as with the guys in the zebra uniforms.
    just one person's viewpoint.

Some calls/no calls were certainly sus, especailly the phantom fould on Ayayi's rebound, but we're a more sophisticated fanbase than this thread suggests. Suggs gets to be mad because he's a fierce competitor. Fans (and most players) doing it just look petty, especially where we won the game. Bad look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Some calls/no calls were certainly sus, especailly the phantom fould on Ayayi's rebound, but we're a more sophisticated fanbase than this thread suggests. Suggs gets to be mad because he's a fierce competitor. Fans (and most players) doing it just look petty, especially where we won the game. Bad look.
    wah wahhh we can discuss the officials. It was terrible. We can discuss specific calls and you can go and look on tape for yourself. I think the Suggs fouling the 3 shooter that they did call was pretty phantom. Then I think Suggs definitely took more contact than that on his late made 3. And I think the "moving screen" to get Timme his 4th was actually egregious - the commentary crew agreed.

The refs really took the fun out of that last 10 minutes. Hard to watch no matter who you root for.