Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BEN GREGG IMMEDIATELY ELIGIBLE

Default BEN GREGG IMMEDIATELY ELIGIBLE

Umm...

Ben Gregg just announced on Twitter that he graduated high school early and hes immediately eligible to play at GU.

What????

Who saw this one coming??? Thoughts?

This has to be hands-down the wackiest season of Zags ball ever!

A serious question is "Is he good enough to crack the rotation as a supposed 2021 grad for the number 1 team in the nation"? If not, what is the point? I guess to get early coaching and practice against some of the best players in the nation.. okay. I guess thats a good enough reason.

Very interesting news. I'm guessing he will not lose a year of eligibility? I think that would be the case...

You beat me to the post by minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Agreed - seems to borderline veer toward silliness.

---

The Covid-exemption means Gregg will still be a "freshman" next year, and I can;t imagine he plays this year unless a major injury, but I imagine it will still help his development. Almost like a mini redshirt year.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Hahah so crazy. This one will go down in history hopefully for great reasons in addition to being wacky.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Umm...

Ben Gregg just announced on Twitter that he graduated high school early and hes immediately eligible to play at GU.

What????

The only person who saw this coming is The Amazing Kreskin.

Just an assumption, but I would guess that Mr. Gregg was concerned that his high school season was going to be cancelled and opted for the next best option considering he was on top of his academics.

GU needs some depth at the 4 and 5 spots, so perhaps it works for the team as well?

If I had a guess, it would be a redshirt season for him, unless we are certain that this season WON’T count against 4 additional playing seasons.

Any chance Kadon Perry could follow suit?? haha.. he seems like he is more likely to help this year than Gregg.

Absolutely crazy how this year is playing out but it’s great for Ben and the program. He gives us some depth in case of emergency, he gets a huge head start preparing for next year, and he will likely get some minutes once he’s acclimated in games that we get leads in. Additionally, his HS season wasn’t happening anytime soon (if at all) so this lets him practice/play now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance Kadon Perry could follow suit?? haha.. he seems like he is more likely to help this year than Gregg.
    I’m guessed it comes down to academics.

Can a player with a passing standardized test score (ACT, SAT) then take a GED test and graduate?

Isn’t Perry from the same state?

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Just an assumption, but I would guess that Mr. Gregg was concerned that his high school season was going to be cancelled and opted for the next best option considering he was on top of his academics.

GU needs some depth at the 4 and 5 spots, so perhaps it works for the team as well?

If I had a guess, it would be a redshirt season for him, unless we are certain that this season WON’T count against 4 additional playing seasons.
    Excellent assumption.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

I’m guessed it comes down to academics.

Can a player with a passing standardized test score (ACT, SAT) then take a GED test and graduate?

Isn’t Perry from the same state?
    gregg is from oregon...perry is at battleground, a washington school

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    gregg is from oregon...perry is at battleground, a washington school
    Thanks !

This should give him a big jump on next year but don't see how he impacts this year's games.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

OSAA has pushed winter sports practice start date out to May 10, with games not starting until May 17 at the earliest. May as well join the Zags!

Wow!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

So odd, but makes sense - NCAA isn't docking a year of eligibility this season, right? So, he can come early and not impact his 4 years of eligibility.

The Vanilla Gorilla !!! This is so awesome. But yeah, I agree with other posters, ease him into the lineup. No reason to waste a whole year of eligibility. Do we even have a scholly available?

A serious question is "Is he good enough to crack the rotation as a supposed 2021 grad for the number 1 team in the nation"? If not, what is the point? I guess to get early coaching and practice against some of the best players in the nation.. okay. I guess thats a good enough reason.
    I dont expect him to play much this year. I think the reasoning for him coming now is he is unable to practice or play at this time in Oregon. If he also is remote learning right now, why not come to GU and get better every day. He can train and practice and he isnt really missing out on his last year of high school because he doesnt really have one. This season doesnt count as a year of eligibility, so he will be a freshman next year anyway. Sounds like a win/win. Wouldnt be surprised to see others do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The Vanilla Gorilla !!! This is so awesome. But yeah, I agree with other posters, ease him into the lineup. No reason to waste a whole year of eligibility. Do we even have a scholly available?
    According to the great ZagNative, we do!

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ne-2020)/page8

Umm...

What????

Caldwell saw this coming.

Incidentally, that scholarship table is all skewed now, with everyone getting an extra year.

At this point, I legitimately would not be surprised if they announced Ammo could return for his senior year, due to Covid changes to the rule books.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...