Thread: Suggs #1 Mention in Article

Default Suggs #1 Mention in Article

TBTakes: Early College Basketball Season Surprises

1. The Jalen Suggs takeover

Coming into the season, there was no questioning Jalen Suggs' talent. He exited high school as the No. 11 overall prospect in the 2020 247Sports Composite Rankings due to his blend of scoring, athleticism and playmaking. However, as you have seen, Gonzaga is deep and loaded with talent and with Andrew Nembhard's late eligibility clearance it was a bit unclear as to how Suggs' role would unfold throughout the season whether if he'd be a piece to the puzzle or the star of the show.

He has since answered that question loud and clear and has become one of the biggest stars in all of college basketball. While not shocking, it was a pleasant surprise to start the year. His vision and playmaking have been outstanding, something that was a bit overshadowed in high school with his scoring.

The Gonzaga freshman is currently averaging 13.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 6.3 assists in 25.3 minutes per game this season.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...sas-157080978/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    TBTakes: Early College Basketball Season Surprises

1. The Jalen Suggs takeover

Coming into the season, there was no questioning Jalen Suggs' talent. He exited high school as the No. 11 overall prospect in the 2020 247Sports Composite Rankings due to his blend of scoring, athleticism and playmaking. However, as you have seen, Gonzaga is deep and loaded with talent and with Andrew Nembhard's late eligibility clearance it was a bit unclear as to how Suggs' role would unfold throughout the season whether if he'd be a piece to the puzzle or the star of the show.

He has since answered that question loud and clear and has become one of the biggest stars in all of college basketball. While not shocking, it was a pleasant surprise to start the year. His vision and playmaking have been outstanding, something that was a bit overshadowed in high school with his scoring.

The Gonzaga freshman is currently averaging 13.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 6.3 assists in 25.3 minutes per game this season.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...sas-157080978/
    The stats are a bit skewed with the injury in the WV game.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Jalen s performances were shocking to me. Not just a really good player with lots of athleticism. I never expected to see one of our frost guards so good he’s NBA ready! Kid is simply amazing. I’ve had calls from friends I’ve trained with.

The great thing for Jalen and the ZAGS is that for the team to be successful Jalen CAN be the star but doesn't HAVE TO BE the star. There is no undue pressure on him to carry the load, either scoring, assisting, running the show, etc. Lots of freedom for him to do what he does best within the system.

Cudos to Jalen for recognizing this and the staff for supporting this young mans growth both on and of the court, as well as letting him shine without obscuring the other talent on the floor with him. Great balancing act.......................

Go ZAGS

If you subscribe to The Athletic, there is a great story on Jalen today!

Jalen Suggs is tough, fearless and ready to drive the ‘Cadillac’ that is Gonzaga
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I was amazed at Brandon Clarke's Zag debut, but he had two years of college ball under his belt, and was a prior MWC All-Star. Comparing him to Suggs is apples and oranges. Dan Dickau can be put in this category as well. Not really a true debut considering his prior college experience. Still good enough to be an All American though. Nigel Williams Goss.....same category. Not a true freshman as a Zag. Still one of my favorites of all time as he led GU to it's first Final Four.

The best Zag frosh debut I can think of is Elias Harris, who was very good right out of the gate, but seemed to hit his ceiling early, and never really did get significantly better. He never should have spent that one off season "converting" from 4 position to 3 position. It really set his progression back as he ultimately had to go back to his original role. Despite this, he was still a very, very good player throughout his Zag career. Similarly, Kevin Pangos had an excellent debut and was outstanding as a freshman, but he reached his physical limitations quickly. Length was his issue, especially when defending, but he was extremely skilled offensively, and a dedicated, hard worker. I can't even make a credible comment on Zach Collins (Spock looks up from his monitor and says "Insufficient data"). Collins came off the bench for a loaded team (how many legitimate "one and done" freshman can make that claim?) that played for the National Championship. But I just didn't get to see enough of him to make a credible assessment except that foul trouble was his issue. He wasn't in for the final decisive moments of the National Championship Game when he was needed most. Regardless, perhaps Collins had the best Zag freshman debut to this point. He certainly had his moments of Zag greatness. Just needed more of them.

But.....none of the fore mentioned are in the same debut stratosphere as Suggs (although an argument can be made for Clarke's pure athleticism). The length, the athleticism, the attitude, the burst, the finishing, the skill. In a word, jaw dropping. The complete package. Suggs is NBA level right now and not as a developmental project. Like not only makes the roster, but starts immediately, and is a significant contributor. His admittedly needed improvement shooting behind the arc is a learned, easily attained behavior due to dedicated, repetitive training and Suggs isn't that far away anyway. He is close in that regard, only needs to squeeze out about 5% more accuracy, as he can now practice his long range shot instead of spending half the year reading where the free safety is lined up as a quarterback (and you can't convince me that this didn't contribute toward his basketball acumen), and no program is better suited to develop him for a single season than GU. Just look at Brandon Clarke's stroke, before GU and after GU, to get the picture. I think Suggs makes the NBA all rookie team and will be a perennial All-Star at the next level.

On another note, my definitive threshold for all time greatest Zags list is this: Ask yourself, "Is/was he better than Derek Ravio?". If not, than not on the list. If yes, then on the list. Ravio will always be on the list if only as a benchmark to see who gets to be on that list.
    Last edited by MickMick; 12-17-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

It also didn't help Pangos that he had to deal with that dang toe injury. I don't know if he ever fully recovered from that.

- this article also points to two surprise standouts in addition to jalen suggs
    - justin powell of auburn and jalen wilson of kansas.
    - i have watched both play a couple of times since we played them, and both indeed look very impressive
    - also impressive is we controlled each better than any other opponent thus far this year....albeit early in the season.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    If you subscribe to The Athletic, there is a great story on Jalen today!

Jalen Suggs is tough, fearless and ready to drive the ‘Cadillac’ that is Gonzaga
    I love this quote:

“Man, that’s what I love about him, that he played football,’’ Gonzaga coach Mark Few says. “Football guys are tough and competitive. Usually it takes six months for most of our freshmen to figure out the physicality of college. Hitting guys, getting over the top of screens, it’s, ‘Oh, ouch, this hurts.’ First practice, he went all out and got laid out, and didn’t think twice about it.’’

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I was amazed at Brandon Clarke's Zag debut, but he had two years of college ball under his belt, and was a prior MWC All-Star. Comparing him to Suggs is apples and oranges. Dan Dickau can be put in this category as well. Not really a true debut considering his prior college experience. Still good enough to be an All American though. Nigel Williams Goss.....same category. Not a true freshman as a Zag. Still one of my favorites of all time as he led GU to it's first Final Four.

The best Zag frosh debut I can think of is Elias Harris, who was very good right out of the gate, but seemed to hit his ceiling early, and never really did get significantly better. He never should have spent that one off season "converting" from 4 position to 3 position. It really set his progression back as he ultimately had to go back to his original role. Despite this, he was still a very, very good player throughout his Zag career. Similarly, Kevin Pangos had an excellent debut and was outstanding as a freshman, but he reached his physical limitations quickly. Length was his issue, especially when defending, but he was extremely skilled offensively, and a dedicated, hard worker. I can't even make a credible comment on Zach Collins (Spock looks up from his monitor and says "Insufficient data"). Collins came off the bench for a loaded team (how many "one and done" freshman can make that claim?) that played for the National Championship. But I just didn't get to see enough of him to make a credible assessment except that foul trouble was his issue. He wasn't in for the final decisive moments of the National Championship Game when he was needed most. Regardless, perhaps Collins had the best Zag freshman debut to this point. He certainly had his moments of Zag greatness. Just needed more of them.

But.....none of the fore mentioned are in the same debut stratosphere as Suggs (although an argument can be made for Clarke's pure athleticism). The length, the athleticism, the attitude, the burst, the finishing, the skill. In a word, jaw dropping. The complete package. Suggs is NBA level right now and not as a developmental project. Like not only makes the roster, but starts immediately, and is a significant contributor. His admittedly needed improvement shooting behind the arc is a learned, easily attained behavior due to dedicated, repetitive training and Suggs isn't that far away anyway. He is close in that regard, only needs to squeeze out about 5% more accuracy, as he can now practice his long range shot instead of spending half the year reading where the free safety is lined up as a quarterback (and you can't convince me that this didn't contribute toward his basketball acumen), and no program is better suited to develop him for a single season than GU. Just look at Brandon Clarke's stroke, before GU and after GU, to get the picture. I think Suggs makes the NBA all rookie team and will be a perennial All-Star at the next level.

On another note, my definitive threshold for all time greatest Zags list is this: Ask yourself, "Is/was he better than Derek Ravio? If not, than not on the list. If yes, then on the list. Ravio will always be on the list if only as a benchmark to see who gets to be on that list.
    MM - Totally agree with your reasoning and conclusions. In addition to Elias Harris, I would add Domas. That kid was NBA ready when he got to GU, just plug & play. He stayed only two years (would have been a senior on the national runner-up squad I believe, WOW what a team that would have been).

I like your assertion about Derek Raivio being a benchmark for being on the list or not. Food for thought.............

Go ZAGS

Jalen had this Lebron thing about him in his NCAA debut vs Kansas. Nothing to do with Lebron's size or position, just his readiness at a young age and the full package, athleticism, speed, brains, power............

Quote Originally Posted by MEZAG View Post
    Jalen had this Lebron thing about him in his NCAA debut vs Kansas. Nothing to do with Lebron's size or position, just his readiness at a young age and the full package, athleticism, speed, brains, power............
    ...and his passing! I was utterly amazed at how much he impacted the Auburn game in 2nd half after returning from injury just w his passing. Gets guys easy buckets. He will hopefully help make Garza work his a** off on D by feeding Timme and Watson for early breakout baskets when they sprint ahead into offensive end and Garza can’t keep up.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - this article also points to two surprise standouts in addition to jalen suggs
    - justin powell of auburn and jalen wilson of kansas.
    - i have watched both play a couple of times since we played them, and both indeed look very impressive
    - also impressive is we controlled each better than any other opponent thus far this year....albeit early in the season.
    the end to your fourth line bears repeating...neither kansas or auburn really knew what they had with those two at the time. both only played 22 minutes each against the zags.
    powell wasn't even starting and now he's their star go-to guy...wouldn't be surprised if the auburn win ends up a quad 1, especially if sharife cooper ever gets eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    MM - Totally agree with your reasoning and conclusions. In addition to Elias Harris, I would add Domas. That kid was NBA ready when he got to GU, just plug & play. He stayed only two years (would have been a senior on the national runner-up squad I believe, WOW what a team that would have been).

I like your assertion about Derek Raivio being a benchmark for being on the list or not. Food for thought.............

Go ZAGS
    Domas would have been a Junior. Frontcourt would have been:

Tillie
    Collins
    Jw3
    Sabonis
    Karnowski

3 Euros, 2 americans, and 1 big trophy.

I'd have loved to watch the practices (pre-Karno's back injury) in 2016.

Jw3, Karnowski, Wiltjer, Sabonis, NWG. (and a 7ft 300lb Ryan Edwards, just to put another enormous human in the mix).

Raivio kinda like a Mendoza line?
    Domas started one game as a freshman.