Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Iowa - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see?

Default GU vs Iowa - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see?

I will steal LIZF’s thunder by getting this thread started and free him up to continue his humanitarian work in the craft brewing field.

This should be an exciting game between two teams that put a lot of points on the board.

Gonzaga 105
    Iowa 88
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

40 minutes, I’m happy.

It will be a close game but the Zags have the horses

Gonzaga 95-87
    It's not funny.

The game will end in a tie.

Garza kind of scares me, but mostly because of all the hype he gets. I think it will be a comfortable win.

Zags - 102
    Iowa University - 87
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

No. 3 Iowa's date with No. 1 Gonzaga headlines Top 25 slate

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/no-3-io...43--ncaab.html

Zags 92

Iowa 87
    Love the zags for life

I hope to see the game moved to Prime Time, but I know that won't happen, as CBS is busy with football. Honestly, I hope this is the last day game for the Zags this season; night games are so much more fun.

Thanks... been buried over here... now they are saying we may literally be buried in the white stuff..

Thanks MCMM for starting this for me!

I cannot wait to see Garza and Timme battle down low. I suspect Ballo will get some minutes against him as well. Not 100% buying into their offensive prowess based on the competition they have faced to this point (only ranked team was UNC). This game should be a barn burner though.

Zag 92
    Iowa 85
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags 102-97

I took a look at the Hawk Board, Prediction Thread, and shockingly, I am seeing a lot of Hawkeye fans going with Gonzaga. No belittling the Zags, at all.

https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/forums/basketball.7/

Quote Originally Posted by HRZag View Post
    I took a look at the Hawk Board, Prediction Thread, and shockingly, I am seeing a lot of Hawkeye fans going with Gonzaga. No belittling the Zags, at all.

https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/forums/basketball.7/
    Only mildly surprised by that. Hawkeye Nation has been bitten by the bulldogs before (19 pt loss in the 2nd round of big dance) - so they should remember us.

104 to 92 zags. Should be a great game.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Am concerned about our long layoff. Yes, it helped get Covid situation under control and, hopefully, gave sore ankles, shoulders, etc. time to recover. Just worry about the rust from lack of actual games and what could have been as as far as more in-game experience for some of our subs.

I think this is going to be another nip-and-tuck physical battle. Be interesting to see what the strategy is: contain/limit Garza but emphasis more on shutting down his supporting cast and their ability to get him the ball; or, focus on containing Garza both scoring and rebounding as much as possible; or, something else.

I see this as a 5 or 6 pt. win with the score in the upper 80s - like 88 to 83 Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Thanks... been buried over here... now they are saying we may literally be buried in the white stuff..

Thanks MCMM for starting this for me!

I cannot wait to see Garza and Timme battle down low. I suspect Ballo will get some minutes against him as well. Not 100% buying into their offensive prowess based on the competition they have faced to this point (only ranked team was UNC). This game should be a barn burner though.

Zag 92
    Iowa 85
    I watched that game vs UNC and they should have won but they turned the ball over and just made really poor choices on offence...rushed shots and also poor selection. We need to be able to up our defence and stop their 3pt shooting as they can shoot the ball well AND we have not yet proved we can shoot from 3pt line...

Garza is a HORSE to say the least but hope Timme can stay out of foul trouble and get him into foul trouble...gonna be a really tough game and hope we rebound and get into transition quickly...

Smile Creature Feature

The Garza, soon to be a Major Motion Picture
    <ahem>
    O'er there in Iowa City,
    A Giant of Stone! Stony, gritty!
    "Son, don't take a charge-uh,
    From Luka, Luka the Garza!
    You're asking for pain, Won't be pretty!"

-------
    Wooden Award - 93
    Academy Award - 81

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Going to go with a high score in the 90s for the Zags...

94 Zags
    87 Hawkeyes
    GO ZAGS!!!

i have been googling for vegas odds, but must admit i am not sure how to read their websites,
    i will make my prediction now, and hope someone can send a vegas link just for fun. They have 6 games under their belt, and we have only 3 and also a long layoff. If they knock us on our butt early in the game, it may take a while to get it rolling
    Spokane 88
    Iowa 81
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 12-17-2020 at 09:11 AM.

I think Garza fouls out trying to guard Timme. Timme has to many moves and is to quick for Garza. Look for Few to double up on Garza every time he touches the ball. Iowa doesn't have the athletes to contend with the Zags. The only thing that might hurt the Zags is the long layoff. Still look for Zags 96 Iowa 80.

I think Aaron Cook will play a Hugh role.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

I’ll take the Zags: 95-89.

I worry about our players’ lack of practice time and lack of game reps. Iowa is an outstanding shooting team team and a great offensive team overall. We have the length, athleticism, depth, and hustle to defend them, but our kids need time on the court to develop their team defense. Good defense requires communication and teamwork. We have a lot of new players who have not played much together. That showed in the earlier games when we allowed too many uncontested outside shots. These players are good individual defenders, but the team defense is still a work in progress. If Gonzaga can choke off Iowa’s outside shots, the Zags can win this by double figures. If not, this one could get away from us in a hurry.

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    5h
    Tom McCarthy and Clark Kellogg on the call for Gonzaga-Iowa this Saturday

I definitely am not as confident as everyone else. I don't know how Timme can defend Garza. Ballo won't be able to keep up or go out to the perimeter on defense. I think this one comes down to team rebounding and defense to limit Garza's damage. I can easily see this being iowa 90, GU 83. But I'm going to go with GU 95, iowa 93. I predict we play even, Timme gets a few early fouls, and Iowa goes on a run. We switch to small ball and focus on entry pass denial and catch up. Timme comes back and keeps pace with Garza allowing us to pull ahead late.

GU 102-80