Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP Poll ~ 12/14/20 - Gonzaga remains at #25 in this week's Top 25 Poll

Post AP Poll ~ 12/14/20 - Gonzaga remains at #25 in this week's Top 25 Poll

Gonzaga remains at #25 in this week's AP Top 25 Poll...but did pick up 7 votes this week...

Lady Zags trail #24 DePaul by 9 points in this week's poll...

South Dakota State drop out of this week's AP Top 25 Poll after suffering 2 losses this past week...

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...1/seasontype/2

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press

Just as I was afraid of.

SDSU dropped out, Oregon State did not drop far enough and South Florida leap frogged both Gonzaga and Depaul.

A lot more work to be done.

ZagDad

Been thinking about CLF’s plan... and while being in the top 25 is very important, I think she would rather get as many players as possible on the floor. When you go three deep in the OOC, it’s to develop and grade... and as time goes on, the numbers hitting the floor may be trimmed. I think the erratic play is due to the rotation... and hopefully play will look more like against Wyoming than Montana.

Like ZD said... a lot of work still to do. And it may be time with only a couple of games remaining before conference, to get a rotation going that works.

Go Zags!!

PS: impressed with the moves that the Wirths are showing this season. Watched LW do a perfect two hand dribble to the hoop for 2. JW has become as comfortable with her left side as her right.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Been thinking about CLF’s plan... and while being in the top 25 is very important, I think she would rather get as many players as possible on the floor. When you go three deep in the OOC, it’s to develop and grade... and as time goes on, the numbers hitting the floor may be trimmed. I think the erratic play is due to the rotation... and hopefully play will look more like against Wyoming than Montana.
    Skip, I would normally disagree with you on the Top-25 (Like that has never happened before ) but it is somewhat more muted this year. Unfortunately, we can't count on the WCC to help the Lady Zags out with our NET (Formally RPI) ranking, thus most of our movement in the polls typically has to occur in the OOC season. This year we lost a great number of potential, quality games against P-5 opponents and the games we replaced them with, well, we did not finish them as we good as we could have. Close is not good enough in the eyes of the committee when considering the potential of a mid-major. With what is left on our schedule, we will not be moving up based on the quality of our wins. We are reduced to hopefully winning the vast majority of our games and counting on the misfortune of the teams in front of us to move up in the polls.

First and foremost, unlike the Zag Mbb team, the Lady Zags are only about 50-50 in winning the WCC conference tournament and getting the WCC automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Thus, half the time we are counting on an "at-large" invitation to make the NCAA tournament. While the The Top-25 is supposedly not reflective of the NCAA committee's selections, it is very hard to imagine a Top-25 team not getting an "at-large" bid. So staying in the Top-25 keeps you from having all your eggs in the WCC tournament basket. Not a bad thing.

As we all know, hosting the first two (2) rounds of the NCAA tournament makes getting to the sweet-16 much easier. In 2021 and 2022 it is even more important because the regionals are (were) held in Spokane, so the Lady Zags, would have the opportunity to play at home and in Spokane all the way to the final four (if they got that far). HOWEVER, because of the Covid-19 issue, the NCAA is going to host the entire tournament at a single site. so this year, the benefits of hosting are eliminated, at least for this year. So the benefits of being in the Top-25 are reduced, but certainly not eliminated.

Hopefully, as Skip says, the Lady Zags will play closer to the quality of play they exhibited in Wyoming and less like their play against Montana. Getting a jump on the opposition will certainly allow CLF to play with her rotations.

Here is a thought for consideration. Instead of trying to plug individual players in one at a time and hoping they players jell and get used to working with a myriad of combinations, why not consider having two (2) platoons, say the starters as platoon #1 and maybe K-14, LS, AOC, MK and either AV or YE as Platoon #2. LF and MW could slide as required. This would allow both platoons to get used to working with the players on that platoon within the limited amount of minutes that are available.

In any case, the ladies need to show some significant improvement in consistency before the WCC season begins.

It starts on Sunday.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

In this week's USAToday Coaches poll, Gonzaga remains at #25 but the Lady Zags are now tied with Virginia Tech...

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/dec-15-2020

Thinking back to the Montana game...

One would wonder what the team thought playing in an empty MAC?

At Wyoming, there were a thousand fans to play infront of with family in the stands. At home, they had no one... in an arena that is usually full. I have to believe there was a let down.

I can’t stress enough the impact on players not having family and friends in the stands... we have a bunch of seniors that may be playing their last season of basketball...

At least give families a chance to see their kids play... we have to be smart enough to make it work!!

Go Zags!!

Thinking back to the Montana game...

One would wonder what the team thought playing in an empty MAC?

At Wyoming, there were a thousand fans to play infront of with family in the stands. At home, they had no one... in an arena that is usually full. I have to believe there was a let down.

I can’t stress enough the impact on players not having family and friends in the stands... we have a bunch of seniors that may be playing their last season of basketball...

At least give families a chance to see their kids play... we have to be smart enough to make it work!!

Go Zags!!
    SkipZag..........No Covid..........No Politics...

You have been whining and kevetching about this since at least May...

If you can't abide by this request at least refrain from posting these types of comments on the threads started by others...Start your own thread...Thank you...

WOW...

So thinking of our kids and their families is COVID and POLITICAL?... and by the way... yes, I will always support them and their lifes!! Whining?

A little thin skinned Terp... I was talking about how their play was affected possible by the empty MAC which could affect their ratings.. and how having family in the stands would be good... that is why I put it on your thread.

Cheers!!

Go Zags!!

Wow, indeed...SkipZag...

While Moderators and other board members requested no Covid and no politics over the recent months, for some reason, you decided that that request did not apply to you.

While other board members have attempted to heed those requests; you continued to kevetch and interject your unsubstantiated personal and political viewpoint at every opportunity.

If in fact your were truly concerned with the Lady Zag players and their families, you would have applauded the efforts of Gonzaga University to keep all of them safe and healthy during this season.

Gonzaga has attempted to follow the latest health and safety recomendations and guidance of federal, state, county and city health officials to keep their Lady Zag players, Gonzaga coaches and staff, game officials and many other game participants as well as all their families and friends safe and healthy. Gonzaga did not follow the example of several other universities and other states to the bottom in adopting the lowest common denominator of health and safety requirements during their basketball games.

I agree Go Zags!...and Thank you...
    Last edited by TerpZag; 12-16-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Terp, I don't know what Mike Roth and Thane McCullough would have decided, but Jay Inslee made the decision on no fan attendance, not the University. It's a state mandate. I don't have a dog in the fight, just setting the facts straight.

Okay Terp... one more time.

This has nothing to do with covid or politics... I know them well thank you. This is about the kids and their mental health period...
    And again how it has effected them and their play period.

And like tummy stated, this is Inslee... I would bet that if Mike and Thane had a choice they would find a way to SAFELY have the players families attend. Why... because they understand the importants of family.

You have attacked me twice...Game over...

Cheers and Stay Safe

Go Zags!!

It is not by accident that the Lady Zags have scheduled tournaments in South Dakota and Las Vegas.

It is not by accident that the Mbb Zags played a tournament in Florida and now will play Iowa in South Dakota.

Do you think the only reason the Wbb NCAA Committee is trying to work out a single site tournament in San Antonio, Texas?

Players want fans, coaches want fans, TV wants fans.

In some way, the teams will try and play, at least some times, in front of fans were possible.

ZagDad

Spot on ZD...

There is a great picture on the GU WBB facebook page of a GU players (2) family in the stands at the Wyoming game...

I hope some can make it to Vegas this weekend to cheer the team on....

Go Zags!!

Up to #21 in the AP poll

Thanks Spike,

Up to #21 in the AP (writers) poll. USA Today (Coaches Poll) comes out today.

50-50 Chance to move up another spot in Coaches Poll with the loss of #19 Indiana to #12 Maryland yesterday.

ZagDad

In this week's "Bracketology":

Coaches, players and fans must be prepared for constant change in the 2020-21 women's college basketball season. Games will be canceled, moved and rescheduled. It's unlikely that every team will play a full complement of games, which will alter conference races and the NCAA tournament evaluation process.

That could also mean changes to the 2021 NCAA tournament format. Since no one knows exactly what the season will look like come Selection Monday, anything is on the table. With that in mind, this edition of Bracketology projects not only a 64-team field, but also condensed 48- and 16-team versions, as determined by these rules.
    Gonzaga is up to a #6 seed (from last week's #8 seed) in both the 64 and 48-team brackets. They are not included in the 16-team field.

With their loss last night, BYU has dropped out of the 64-team field and is included in the Next Four out. With their great showing against Oregon, Washington State has moved into the 64-team field as a #9 seed. South Dakota (#12-seed) and South Dakota State (#8-seed) have both made this week's 64-team field.

Bracketology Link: https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes

ZagDad

Nope,

The coaches did not move Indiana (#18 in coaches poll) despite their loss to Maryland.

Lady Zags at #21 in both polls.

Link AP (Writers) Poll: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press

Link USA Today (Coaches) Poll: https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-5-2021

ZagDad

Now that GU WBB is playing in conference, I would hope they are looking not so much at player development (it will come) as winning everything.
    If the dance is limited to 16 (and you have to play like it will) then it is essential to win out. I would also figure that there will be no automatic ins... I hope that it doesn’t turn into a P5 tournament.
    As we know, the only way GU moves up is if others loose.
    If they have us at a #6 seed, then lots of things need to happen to get to a #4 or better seed. And being in the WCC will make it a challenge. Hence... got to win out.

Go Zags!!

Now that GU WBB is playing in conference, I would hope they are looking not so much at player development (it will come) as winning everything.
    If the dance is limited to 16 (and you have to play like it will) then it is essential to win out. I would also figure that there will be no automatic ins... I hope that it doesn’t turn into a P5 tournament.
    As we know, the only way GU moves up is if others loose.
    If they have us at a #6 seed, then lots of things need to happen to get to a #4 or better seed. And being in the WCC will make it a challenge. Hence... got to win out.

Go Zags!!
    You are 100% correct. When we played North Alabama and Eastern Michigan, despite the 2 wins, we still dropped from a 6th seed to an 8th seed in the 64-team bracket and the Lady Zags were no where to be found in the 48-team and 16-team brackets. This week we moved back up to a 6th seed in both the 64-team and 48-team brackets. The 16 team bracket only has one (1) non-P-5 team (excluding UConn) and that is Depaul.

BYUs loss to USD yesterday dropped the Cougars from an 11th Seed in the 64-team bracket (getting an at-large bid) to all the way out of the 64-team tournament. Not only was BYU dropped from the tournament, they dropped all the way out of the first-4 out all they way to the next four out. So we now know how the bracketologist will treat a loss to a WCC team and it is not pretty.

As you said, the Zags absolutely have to win out if they want any chance at the 16-team bracket. If we only lose once in league play, I think we will likely make the 48-team or 64-team tournament but it could be close. Better to win out and remove all doubt.

The Lady Zags need to take it one game at a time. They have the talent to run the table, just need to focus on one game at a time.

ZagDad

Up to 20 in the AP poll.

#20 in AP Poll - Link: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press - Jumped Texas

#19 In USA Today Poll - Link: https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-12-2021 - Jumped Texas and Depaul

Jan 12 NET Ranking = #20 - Link: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings - No change from last week.

Thanks Spike,

ZagDad

Up 2 in the AP Poll this week and up 1 in the Coaches Poll.

SeaCat will probably have a heart attack, Arkansas is still ranked at #18 in the coaches poll despite having a 11-6 record. Can't say that I understand that ranking myself.

Bracketology still has the Lady Zags as a #5 seed in both the 64- and 48-team brackets and in the first four out in the 16-team bracket.

ZAB posted some data that the NCAA Wbb committee that looks like it will be a 64-team bracket, which is good news for all participating schools. Will be a few more "At-Large" bids since several conferences with automatic qualifying bids have canceled basketball for this season.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Up 2 in the AP Poll this week and up 1 in the Coaches Poll.

SeaCat will probably have a heart attack, Arkansas is still ranked at #18 in the coaches poll despite having a 11-6 record. Can't say that I understand that ranking myself.

Bracketology still has the Lady Zags as a #5 seed in both the 64- and 48-team brackets and in the first four out in the 16-team bracket.

ZAB posted some data that the NCAA Wbb committee that looks like it will be a 64-team bracket, which is good news for all participating schools. Will be a few more "At-Large" bids since several conferences with automatic qualifying bids have canceled basketball for this season.

ZagDad
    Ha ha. I've seen it pointed out elsewhere that Arkansas has a bunch of good losses, so I guess that counts for a lot.

I know this is about polls, but even the computer rankings are nonsensical. Oregon keeps coming up #4 in several of them, despite currently being in 4th place in their own conference. How in the world? They are 0-3 against Stanford, Arizona and UCLA but are ahead of 2 of those in the computer ranks. I guess they are getting a lot of mileage out of some lopsided wins against bad teams.

Mississippi St. did not fall out of the AP poll. I give up. 8-5 overall with only 1 good win.

Zags did drop a spot though. Winning isn't enough apparently. Got jumped by Tennessee and Arkansas. Must be nice being in the SEC, where you rise in the polls whether you win or lose games. They currently have #2, #7, #15, #16, #18, #24 and #25.