Thread: GU vs Baylor Is the biggest non-conference game ever>#1 vs #2 Awesome

Default GU vs Baylor Is the biggest non-conference game ever>#1 vs #2 Awesome

Let's get ready for this one. What gets you fired up for this game? This is the all-time biggest non-conference game ever. It's bigger than Gonzaga vs Duke two years ago. Baylor isn't Duke of course, but they are better than Duke this year. Yes, there's no love lost in our battle with Baylor. We're kind of friends in a big way. The Zags have a huge rivalry going with Duke. But this year, at this time it's us vs Balor, who may be the best team in the country outside of Gonzaga.

I'm hoping to get some high octave energy going about the game tomorrow. What fires you up about the game? ?What do the Zags need to do to win? What can you do to get fired up and be a great fan behind this team. Yes, this year fandom is all about virtual, but virtual or not, we CAN BE GREAT FANS IN OUR HOMES or wherever we watch this game. The team WILL FEEL our energy.

1. Playing #2 in the country, Balor gets me fired up. The fact that Baylor has most of their team back from last year and would have been a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. This game is a replacement game for not being able to get into March Madness last Spring. Thank you CBS for scheduling the game, even if it's at 10 am, which I do like in fact.

2. Baylor is supposed to have the best backcourt in the country. I believe our Zags are every bit as good. I am so excited to see our backcourt go up against theirs.

3. Their defense is supposed to be the best in the land, especially their guards. I want to see how are very talented guards battle their defense. IMO Zag guards are the best passers in the country and it will awesome to see us attack their defense.

4. I think we win the battle in the paint with the penetrating ability of Timme and our guards. We have the best penetrating guards in the USA imo. This will be fun to watch.

II What do the Zags need to do to win. Win the battle between the backcourts. Penetrate their defense with excellent passing on pick and rolls. Battle them on the boards the way we did against West Virginia. Run Baby Run, all night long.

III. What can I do? Wear my best and luckiest Zag gear which includes my long sleeve, blue, pullover sweatshirt (cotton) and my Zag ball cap, and Zag sweats. And never give up. Keep the faith all night long.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I honestly think they're going to try to shoot a ton of 3s, and if they hit them, it'll be close and/or we'll be playing from a slight deficit. If they don't hit their 3s, we will transition them to death and we blow them out. Either that or none of it. I'm basically worthless as a predictor.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I love it. I agree with you reborn. I think this is the game where Ballo really needs to show up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I love it. I agree with you reborn. I think this is the game where Ballo really needs to show up as well.
    Good points MTZag03. Ballo did look better against West Virginia. If he continues to improve it will make a difference. He got six points and 3 rebounds against WV. I thought that that was good. If he could just get 8 and 4 that would be really nice.

Go Zags!

My only regret is that I will be forced to be sober for this game (and the early start time doesn't help much either). No worries, if the Zags win I will celebrate by getting hammered during the Tarleton State game.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Lots of love and Gonzaga story lines from ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...arly-surprises
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    My only regret is that I will be forced to be sober for this game (and the early start time doesn't help much either). No worries, if the Zags win I will celebrate by getting hammered during the Tarleton State game.
    I'm with you. I have Dish, and our local CBS wankers are having a $$$ dispute. Which means I have no way to watch the game by my traditional means. Which also means I spent last evening pulling out an old TV and antenna getting prepared for 'over the air' transmission. What is this, 1938???

Call me crazy, but I bought a ROKU device tonight as well, in the case that everything goes SNAFU. I have Dish at home, but Xfrickity at my vacation home. If all fails, I'll pound on the neighbor's door, or go the pirate route (I was forced to the last two games due to Xfrickity deciding that all I paid for was just a mirage -- screw Comcast, they are abominable). You try the legal way, and two hours of "customer service" leads nowhere, and most of that time is trying to actually contact a human being. Last game, my helping wife is getting nowhere after 45 minutes. It's tip off time and, panicked, I find a perfect (non-traditional) stream in 30 seconds. This is why we can't have nice things. The hurdles are too high with the networks when it's a simple search for a free one. Pathetic. Now I need a drink.

This game makes me nervous. Hopefully I'll at least get to watch it. Either way, I'm probably going to be pulling my hair out, either due to technical difficulties, or by what's happening on the court.

Go Zags.

I hope Kispert is trigger happy and on fire...remind us all of your elite catch and shoot game CK! Give em some old time Stepp range 3’s
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    I'm with you. I have Dish, and our local CBS wankers are having a $$$ dispute. Which means I have no way to watch the game by my traditional means. Which also means I spent last evening pulling out an old TV and antenna getting prepared for 'over the air' transmission. What is this, 1938???

Call me crazy, but I bought a ROKU device tonight as well, in the case that everything goes SNAFU. I have Dish at home, but Xfrickity at my vacation home. If all fails, I'll pound on the neighbor's door, or go the pirate route (I was forced to the last two games due to Xfrickity deciding that all I paid for was just a mirage -- screw Comcast, they are abominable). You try the legal way, and two hours of "customer service" leads nowhere, and most of that time is trying to actually contact a human being. Last game, my helping wife is getting nowhere after 45 minutes. It's tip off time and, panicked, I find a perfect (non-traditional) stream in 30 seconds. This is why we can't have nice things. The hurdles are too high with the networks when it's a simple search for a free one. Pathetic. Now I need a drink.

This game makes me nervous. Hopefully I'll at least get to watch it. Either way, I'm probably going to be pulling my hair out, either due to technical difficulties, or by what's happening on the court.

Go Zags.
    Caduceus, its easy to make a high def antenna from a length of coax cable if your old antenna isnt high def. Takes 10 minutes, lots of videos on YouTube showing how.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Caduceus, its easy to make a high def antenna from a length of coax cable if your old antenna isnt high def. Takes 10 minutes, lots of videos on YouTube showing how.
    Haha, I'm good. Signal is fine over the air. The Roku is also giving me a perfect feed (even though it said I'm not allowed in my area). I'm right as rain. Thanks for your input.

I remember the days when if you wanted to watch HBO free, you could sling about 18 feet of coax in a circle under your rug! BTW, why are we still using coaxial cable for anything? It's bulky, kills your fingers when you install it, and often shocks you if it's a live cable feed. Ancient tech.

Three hours to game time, and I'm set. Now where did I put that beer?!

I'm right behind you, Caddy. It's game day, Baby. And I'm ready. Zag Nation's waking up and gettin ready. I can feel the energy risin. I'm feelin Bruce Springsteen this morning. The temperature's rising. I'm hopin that our guards can hit some 3's today. That would be nice. But let's see 'em run, run, run.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm right behind you, Caddy. It's game day, Baby. And I'm ready. Zag Nation's waking up and gettin ready. I can feel the energy risin. I'm feelin Bruce Springsteen this morning. The temperature's rising. I'm hopin that our guards can hit some 3's today. That would be nice. But let's see 'em run, run, run.

Go Zags!
    Best post of the week, Rebs! You're always inspiring Zag Nation!!! I actually performed a Springsteen song Karaoke in the COG in a talent show (how embarrassing) my freshman year. Downbound Train. My three other mates aren't nearly embarrassed as I was. We did some ZZ Top thing that night too. I still have the wooden drumsticks!

I have a lot of other Springsteen stories. Most of them involve a nearly four hour concert at Soldier Field in Chicago. Might be the best day of my life. His energy is unmatched. Another involves a spinout on a highway in Montana when I thought my life was over on my way to Spokane. Yet, here I am!

Bruce is the Boss:

Last edited by caduceus; 12-05-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Best post of the week, Rebs! You're always inspiring Zag Nation!!! I actually performed a Springsteen song Karaoke in the COG in a talent show (how embarrassing) my freshman year. Downbound Train. My three other mates aren't nearly embarrassed as I was. We did some ZZ Top thing that night too. I still have the wooden drumsticks!

I have a lot of other Springsteen stories. Most of them involve a nearly four hour concert at Soldier Field in Chicago. Might be the best day of my life. His energy is unmatched. Another involves a spinout on a highway in Montana when I thought my life was over on my way to Spokane. Yet, her I am!

Bruce is the Boss:

Springsteen. Da. Man.

Go Zags !!!

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Springsteen. Da. Man.

Go Zags !!!
    Um, no. Piano man

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Um, no. Piano man
    Maybe in pure talent, but not in energy. Saw him in concert a few times too. One remarkable episode actually involved a car crash between two taxis in Manhattan, when one passenger happened to be Woody Allen on his way to play his brass instrument (sax) at a local establishment. We were in the other vehicle (also a taxi). BJ was scheduled to play with said car crash victim. It was a very interesting night. At least we got a helicopter ride over the river and a spectacular dinner at Club 21 the next day. Weird experience overall 10/10 except for the car crash.

The other concert was at the Tacoma Dome. It was not quite as interesting, but remarkable nonetheless.

From the GU Athletics Web Site: https://gozags.com/news/2020/12/3/me...-saturday.aspx

This is the sixth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Baylor. The Zags have won all five of the previous meetings against BU, with four under Mark Few.

This will be the fifth meeting on a neutral court.

- In the latest meeting between the programs, Gonzaga beat Baylor, 83-71, in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    - The first four meetings were all decided by single digits.
    - The Zags won the first meeting between the programs, 77-75, on Nov. 29, 1991, in Fresno, Calif.
    - The Bulldogs are 21-9 against current Big 12 members, including 8-2 in the last 10.
    - The last nine meetings against Big 12 opponents have come on a neutral floor.
    - This will be the third of three meetings against a Big 12 opponent for GU, after defeating Kansas in the season-opener and No. 11/15 West Virginia in the Jimmy V Classic on Wednesday in Indianapolis. Baylor topped the league's preseason poll, followed by Kansas and West Virginia. Texas and Texas Tech were fourth and fifth, and were both on the Zags' original 2020-21 schedule.

Game has been cancelled. Trying to reschedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Game has been cancelled. Trying to reschedule.

WHAT!!!???‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽

WHAT!!!???‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽
    Announced about 10 minutes ago. Two positives on Zags, one was a player “who didn’t play versus WV” and one “staffer”

Joint statement is online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Announced about 10 minutes ago. Two positives on Zags, one was a player “who didn’t play versus WV” and one “staffer”

Joint statement is online.

Well, we'll stay #1! Woo hoo!

I've warned enough around here about the trajectory of Covid. And yet here we are. I heard next week might be the scheduled (re)matchup.

Edited to say the timing of this cancellation is insane.

Maybe in pure talent, but not in energy. Saw him in concert a few times too. One remarkable episode actually involved a car crash between two taxis in Manhattan, when one passenger happened to be Woody Allen on his way to play his brass instrument (sax) at a local establishment. We were in the other vehicle (also a taxi). BJ was scheduled to play with said car crash victim. It was a very interesting night. At least we got a helicopter ride over the river and a spectacular dinner at Club 21 the next day. Weird experience overall 10/10 except for the car crash.

The other concert was at the Tacoma Dome. It was not quite as interesting, but remarkable nonetheless.
    The Woodman used to sit in every Monday at Michaels Pub. That closed years ago, now he plays at the Cafe Carlyle in the eponymous hotel. Saw BJ here at Petco, dreadful. Then at MSG, heaven. It was a New York State of mind for all 19,000 of us.