Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hype begins

Default The hype begins

Lunardi: Strictly from the standpoint of the NCAA tournament, the game is more important for Gonzaga. A win would give the Zags a sweep of Kansas, West Virginia and Baylor, with only Iowa (Dec. 19) remaining as a likely top-50 opponent. In other words, Gonzaga can nearly lock up a No. 1 seed with a victory.

Gasaway: Does the game matter more to the Bulldogs or the Bears? Can I say, well, "Yes"? Look at the similarities. Both institutions had, let us say, spotty records of basketball success until both improved dramatically at a similar historical moment two decades ago. (Gonzaga had a head start of a few years.) Both have had the same head coach for the past 15-plus years. Both were ranked No. 1 in the nation for at least four weeks last year. Both would have been No. 1 seeds if there had been a 2020 NCAA tournament. And together they are now, on paper, the two best teams in the country by a mile. We will still be talking about this game when both teams reach the 2021 Final Four.

If the Zags lose to Baylor tomorrow, but run the table the rest of the way, they will be a #1 seed in the West. No one in their right mind is going to slot a 26-1 team any lower than a #1 (especially when you have a pedigree like the Zags do).
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    If the Zags lose to Baylor tomorrow, but run the table the rest of the way, they will be a #1 seed in the West. No one in their right mind is going to slot a 26-1 team any lower than a #1 (especially when you have a pedigree like the Zags do).
    Winning out after Saturday would mean we would have won against Iowa, who would likely be the #2 team behind Baylor at that point. If that is the scenario, then YES, there is no way they don't give us 1 seed in West. I might argue that a loss to both Baylor and Iowa with unblemished record from then on would still be 1 seed in west.

Zags are a 1 seed even with losses to Baylor and Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Show me a year where the Zags seed was less than their loss total.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    assuming no other losses and kansas and wv holding up their end of the bargain...auburn doesn't look like it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Show me a year where the Zags seed was less than their loss total.
    2018-19- 30-3 1 seed
    2012-13- 31-2, 1 seed
    2008-09- 26-5, 4 seed
    2004-05, 25-4, 3 seed

Last year was also a likely 1 seed had there been a tournament, and GU had 2 losses.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Nice piece on Rems twitter about Gary Bell and up coming game

https://twitter.com/remfifteen

I think we are a 1 seed if we win out minus iowa and baylor.
    Love the zags for life

Iowa and Garza are a challenge I’m interested is seeing. Garza is so good. Timme can’t have a half a game where he plays intimidated like against WVU.

I want to see him hang with Garza, that will be an accomplishment regardless of the game outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Iowa and Garza are a challenge I’m interested is seeing. Garza is so good. Timme can’t have a half a game where he plays intimidated like against WVU.

I want to see him hang with Garza, that will be an accomplishment regardless of the game outcome.

Hate to lose to McCaffrey, among my most unlikeable coaches. A dyspeptic, non-obese Huggy Bear in humanoid clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    2018-19- 30-3 1 seed
    2012-13- 31-2, 1 seed
    2008-09- 26-5, 4 seed
    2004-05, 25-4, 3 seed

Last year was also a likely 1 seed had there been a tournament, and GU had 2 losses.
    So 5 out of 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Didnt Garza have 30 with about 3 minutes to go in the 1st half last night? The guy plays hard. It isnt pretty but he gets the ball to go in. Even saw him hit a couple 3's last night. They have really good shooters around him too so defenses have to stay honest. Hopefully Timme can make Graza play D and wear him out a bit. Should be a fun high scoring game.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    So 5 out of 20+ years.
    What’s your point?

Will need to play Garza front and back. He’s too strong for Drew alone. Sagging on him will work. Tough character though. Baylor will be tougher than Iowa but either can beat us depending on our defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Lunardi: Strictly from the standpoint of the NCAA tournament, the game is more important for Gonzaga. A win would give the Zags a sweep of Kansas, West Virginia and Baylor, with only Iowa (Dec. 19) remaining as a likely top-50 opponent. In other words, Gonzaga can nearly lock up a No. 1 seed with a victory.

Gasaway: Does the game matter more to the Bulldogs or the Bears? Can I say, well, "Yes"? Look at the similarities. Both institutions had, let us say, spotty records of basketball success until both improved dramatically at a similar historical moment two decades ago. (Gonzaga had a head start of a few years.) Both have had the same head coach for the past 15-plus years. Both were ranked No. 1 in the nation for at least four weeks last year. Both would have been No. 1 seeds if there had been a 2020 NCAA tournament. And together they are now, on paper, the two best teams in the country by a mile. We will still be talking about this game when both teams reach the 2021 Final Four.
    Rather than focus on seeding, I hope the team mindset is traditional Zag, i.e., we are underestimated and we are out to prove everyone wrong. I want the chip-on-the-shoulder attitude that has been a big part of Zaginess and, I believe, our success. At this point I don't care about seeding. That will take care of itself. I'm hoping the team is feeling the same way and will approach this game with Zag determination as in "we can beat anyone/anywhere/anytime, so let's do it."

Two more from ESPN self styled CBB gurus...

Borzello: I think it's a bit more significant for Gonzaga. Right now, there's a perception that the Bulldogs are the clear-cut best team in college basketball, maybe even a cut above the rest of the country. Wins over Kansas and West Virginia were good, but doing the same thing to Baylor would lay down a serious marker for the rest of the season. Plus, there will always be the idiots asking in March, "Who has Gonzaga beaten?! They don't play anyone!" and we can just point to this. But outside of that, I don't think this matchup will matter too much to anyone -- unless of course there's a battle to be the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Medcalf: I think it's more significant for Gonzaga, which will have fewer opportunities for Quad I and Quad II wins in conference play. But ... what does a No. 1 seed even mean in a one-city tournament with 68 teams, if that's what we get? Does the No. 1 seed get to choose between Hinkle Fieldhouse or the Bloomington North High School gym? What if we don't have fans?

I understand the top seed gets the best draw. And Baylor will still get a pair of matchups against Kansas, Texas Tech and West Virginia to pad its résumé going forward, so there is a greater sense of urgency for Gonzaga, although hard to imagine anything but a No. 1 seed for Mark Few's team. But I also don't know what Selection Sunday will look like in a pandemic.

From Baylor's SBNation Community, an extensive preview of tomorrow's match-up, with many video clips.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2020/1...ic-em-bulldogs

Steven Karr, at "The Slipper Still Fits." with his preview:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...preview-1-vs-2

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    From Baylor's SBNation Community, an extensive preview of tomorrow's match-up, with many video clips.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2020/1...ic-em-bulldogs
    Terrific stuff. And some truth hurts material.

They get too focused on stopping the ball. While that’s an understandable principle—the first rule of transition defense is to stop the ball—that maxim has an important word “first.” Gonzaga treats transition defense like the only rule is to stop the ball, which leaves 3-point opportunities aplenty.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Will need to play Garza front and back. He’s too strong for Drew alone. Sagging on him will work. Tough character though. Baylor will be tougher than Iowa but either can beat us depending on our defenses.
    I’m hoping Ballo continues improving game by game and proves ready to bang w Garza effectively 5-7 minutes per half to give a Timme and Watson a breather. Zags will wanna run, run, run so Suggs can feed Timme more homerun passes for layups before Garza crosses half court by late 2nd half.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Good post Flex. That's the strategy I think Few will use.

It won't just be Timme that will need to put foul pressure on Garza. We will need to attack him with drives and make a focus to go at him different ways. Have him expend energy on that end of the court and maybe get him into foul trouble. Both are tough games. I'll be pretty happy if we go 1-1 between them. Ecstatic if we sweep those two games.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hate to lose to McCaffrey, among my most unlikeable coaches. A dyspeptic, non-obese Huggy Bear in humanoid clothes.
    This post made me seriously laugh out loud. Oh yeah, he is the king of dyspeptism.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    2018-19- 30-3 1 seed
    2012-13- 31-2, 1 seed
    2008-09- 26-5, 4 seed
    2004-05, 25-4, 3 seed