Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs WVU Post game thoughts.

- couple of high points stats wise
    1. we held even on the boards in the second half. wvu two bigs had 17 boards at half but only 6 in the second half.
    2. only 11 turnovers is our best effort this year, and in tense tight game, against the best defense we have seen thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    guarantee if he was a Big baller brander he'd be out "just to protect his future." Really gutsy by Suggs, although i was definitely apprehensive about his return and his effectiveness.
    if he was a BBB he would have sat out this year.

The team got some stuff figured out in the 2nd half. Love Ballo's improvement. Nembhard steps up bigtime, Suggs shows some real grit and there is nobody consistently better than Ayayi in the last 10 mins of most games. Color me impressed with this win.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Back to thoughts about the game... this team is pretty young. There's got to be a lot of pressure just by being #1. They came out surprisingly (to me) tight tonight. This defense is tough, and it definitely affected them more than I thought it would. Then the injury, which I think shocked/stunned more than a few of them. I thought they did a good job of keeping it close in the first half, and then came out a little looser and more aggressive on both sides of the ball in the second half. I think it was a good win for this team at this point in the season, and most of all, I hope Suggs is 100% on Saturday.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    you should listen to WVU fans or their coach... grow a pair.
    Saying it is OK because everyone else does it, doesn't make it right. Just food for thought.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I think you’re in the minority. Count me as a fan of Huggins and his team. I thought they played well enough to win.
    I am no fan of Huggins or his teams. Huggins cries to the refs from the opening tip every game, I flat don't like him or his teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I am no fan of Huggins or his teams. Huggins cries to the refs from the opening tip every game, I flat don't like him or his teams.
    How i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The team got some stuff figured out in the 2nd half. Love Ballo's improvement. Nembhard steps up bigtime, Suggs shows some real grit and there is nobody consistently better than Ayayi in the last 10 mins of most games. Color me impressed with this win.
    If West Virginia would have shot free throws like they usually do we would have beat them by 15. If there is such a thing as getting hot from the free throw line, that would be West Virginia tonight.

They did play well enough to win. And I am not a Huggins fan, I am a Zags fan. But all hail this, this was not Zags vs Cupcake Shmegaeegy. We beat a blue blood tonight. We prevailed after a halftime deficit. That is the mark of a #1 team.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Anyone else rooting hard for Baylor now? I want to see a legit 1 vs 2

I am with a former poster on this thread. Many posters who knew of Watson's play in high school hyped him to the moon. Unfortunately, from what I have seen so far he seems nothing more than a placeholder-on the floor only because the only thing this team lacks is another decent big forward. Sure hope he contributes more as the season goes on. At 6' 8" he should be holding his own in rebounding, at the least, with our guards. Just not happening.

I think Watson is doing a lot that isnt showing on the stat sheet... active hands.. getting rebounds.. battling their bigs as another tall guy we need.

I wish his offense would come back... just hasnt been the same since he got hurt

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i said a very unselfish prayer for suggs when he got hurt.............i think it was answered, and so quick too...........oh me of little faith.

- give prayerful zag fans a hockey assist on this one.
    Ever pray for a fan's lottery win?

Glad you did pray...he does bring a boist when he steps on the court.

Apparently, hes as hard on his players as he is the refs...or at least they play like it. Lotsa coaches do it...kinda like players who jaw...PART of the game like it or not.

Personally, Im glad WVU took the game 9n short notice...fans and players benefitted from it.

I think Watson is doing a lot that isnt showing on the stat sheet... active hands.. getting rebounds.. battling their bigs as another tall guy we need.

I wish his offense would come back... just hasnt been the same since he got hurt
    I have to believe you because Few plays him. But if ballo gets way better be ready for a "Twin Towers V.2" setup.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I have to believe you because Few plays him. But if ballo gets way better be ready for a "Twin Towers V.2" setup.
    Ballo would have to get way better. He did okay today but he is still so raw and robotic.

Yea, real classy. From ESPN.

We're every bit as good as they are — if we don't do dumb things," coach Bob Huggins said. "I think everyone should shoulder the blame."

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Big shout out to Omar. In 10 minutes, 6 points, 3 boards. The youngster got thrown in with the older big boys and I thought he did well. Nice win, fellas, against an always tough and physical team. Have always liked Huggins.
    YUP.

He got a game tempo more to his liking...and it showed. Keep getting him minutes...WE NEED HIM.

Ballo would have to get way better. He did okay today but he is still so raw and robotic.
    Give him a break. 10 minutes of play. 6 points and 3 board. Thrown in with the big boys and held his own.

Looking at the stat sheet Zags were + 19 with Watson on the floor, the best by far with the next best player + 12....

Kispert passes up too many threes. Even contested he’s our best long range shooter.

If Martynas had played AAU ball with Few's kid instead of Anton .....

I firmly believe if Suggs wasn’t injured, this wouldn’t have been a close game.

However, it was a net positive as other players stepped up and gained confidence in helping our team to the win.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post

However, it was a net positive as other players stepped up and gained confidence in helping our team to the win.
    This!

From Nemhard’s quotes it seems he wasn’t really mentally prepared to play this season. I think Suggs going down and forcing him into the leadership role will be paying us dividends for a while to come.

Suggs went from season-ending achilles rupture, to limping in the tunnel, to hobbling around on the court, to make a key block at the end of the game. That was a roller coaster. The team took awhile to adjust to the let-down of the injury but Nembhard really stepped in and helped keep the team on track.

I'm withholding judgement on Watson, but I have been surprised by his lack of confidence offensively. He seems to be rushed and just throwing the ball up at the rim. This team doesn't really need his scoring but he's missed a few easy ones and has forced a few more. I agree with the previous comment that it seems like he should be rebounding better than he is for his size.

Ayayi looks very smooth and shined again at the end of the game with some key plays.

Kispert quietly had another good game. I am surprised out how good his handle has gotten. He's got a tricky change of direction dribble and plays with some change of pace now when going to the rim. Last year, I came the conclusion that he needed some wiggle in his game instead of full speed straight line drives to the hoop-- at least at the next level-- and he has shown a lot of that already.

Timme was Timme. He forces some things, but he is so efficient that if he didn't he'd be darn near perfect on the offensive end. He isn't imposing defensively, but he gets into good position and at least looks interested in playing defense and getting up the floor. I'm hoping Ballo can round out into that presence down low, becaus he has potential to be a beast down there.