Thread: Do We Have Depth at the 4 and 5?

Default Do We Have Depth at the 4 and 5?

I was originally thinking that although we don't have a 4 big man rotation like in 2017 we actually had a couple people that could fill-in as needed. Namely Pavel and possibly Arlo. In my opinion, Ballo looks ineffective on the defensive end (particularly in the pick and roll) to play meaningful minutes in crunch situations at the moment.

We are running a lot of 4 guard line-ups and that looks really good but if we a team with a bevy of big men and we have to deal with foul trouble with Timme and/or Watson who will we go with?

Can Strawther play the 4? Can Arlo? Is Pavel ready? Will Ballo be ready by the end of the year?

Normally, I would just be optimistic but with all the Covid stuff there very well could be a time where one or both of Watson might have to quarantine because of protocol. Plus, this seems like our main weakness and teams should employ trying to get Timme in foul trouble every game.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Lots of time for Ballo to grow.

Not worried at all, small ball is also a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Lots of time for Ballo to grow.

Not worried at all, small ball is also a possibility.
    It's really not small ball when no one is under 6'5"...the Zags can field such a lineup with Jalen, Corey, Joel, Anton, and Andrew. I'm not saying we want to do that for a half, but it could be done for 8-10 minutes.

We don't have a strong rim protector but we are really good at the 4 and 5. It's only when you look at the caliber and depth at other positions that we look thin inside.

I don't know how we could be more loaded.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Doesn’t matter as long as Timme and Kispert are healthy. Most games will be out of reach so the reserves will get plenty of burn, but Kispert can hold down 35+ minutes at a high level against elite opponents. I just hope Suggs can avoid foul trouble moving forward. His plus minus was off the charts against KU. The Zags have enough talent to play around its Big 3 this year.

gonzaga is more like an nba team built around the three stars...and ayayi is one heckuva fourth fiddle. golden state with durant anyone???

Zakharov, even if his offensive game isn't there yet (I don't know), should at least be good for spot minutes if there is foul trouble. That makes them 3 deep at the 5. This team is so gifted offensively with player talent and great coaching that I'm not worried. I expect Ballo to be flirting with fouling out every game until he learns how to avoid the silly fouls that refs will be baited into because of his size. I seem to remember Karnowski having this problem. A little bit of contact looks much worse because of their size.

They have good options at the 4 with Watson, Kispert, and maybe even Strawther there if the foul situation looks really bad.

If things get tricky, you still have decent height with Arlauskas, Brooks, and Eagle at the end of the bench (more of a checkerboard of chairs these days).

Short answer, right now, is no. WE have two good bigs, they both start, and one of them, Watson, is not a very big "big". Timme simply cannot get in foul trouble against a good team.

IN MY OPINION (which is only valued by me) both Zacharov and Ballo have shown that they are quality players, both offensively and defensively. It was against lower caliber players, in the U 18 FIFA tournaments, but they were among the best in their age groups, in the world.
    It is hard to have much of a showing when your appearing in games is barely enough to work up a good sweat. I feel that they will be battle tested by the time March (or April or May) Madness makes an appearance. I hope that this OCC season doesn't make their baptism one by fire.
    It's not funny.

Dude we have the best team in the country so just enjoy the ride. Ballo has strength and size, this makes him serviceable. Zacharov has some skills, he is athletic for a 7'er, he rebounds pretty well, and runs the floor really well, all he needs is some playing time. The common fan may not see this, but if you really know how to read basketball tallant you can see this. I am not sure Zacharov will get that time since we are so loaded though. Ballo however will get time, so I think we will see him develop as the year goes by, and he gets over being nervious. He has a chance to be a beast. What a great time to be a Zag Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    IN MY OPINION (which is only valued by me) both Zacharov and Ballo have shown that they are quality players, both offensively and defensively. It was against lower caliber players, in the U 18 FIFA tournaments, but they were among the best in their age groups, in the world.
    It is hard to have much of a showing when your appearing in games is barely enough to work up a good sweat. I feel that they will be battle tested by the time March (or April or May) Madness makes an appearance. I hope that this OCC season doesn't make their baptism one by fire.
    They only get better if he lets them play more.That is Few's only weakness.We are way ahead,and he lets them in for 2 minutes,nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jagwalkley View Post
    They only get better if he lets them play more.That is Few's only weakness.We are way ahead,and he lets them in for 2 minutes,nuts.
    While that is the situation they are in now, it will certainly not be the case after this weeks games are finished. The rotation will be significantly expanded once the level of opponent comes back down.

Guys will play more as we get into the lesser competition after this week. Right now we are playing P6 schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Guys will play more as we get into the lesser competition after this week. Right now we are playing P6 schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Lesser” doesn’t begin to describe the dreck ahead, Vultch.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    “Lesser” doesn’t begin to describe the dreck ahead, Vultch.
    Vultch... some combination of a vomit and a belch?

We have 2 top 50 7 footers coming off the bench. Who else in the country has that luxury? We will be just fine

Exactly

Ballo shown some flashes, and has good FT form, he will be a Force to content with.

Ballo was steady tonight , I think he is getting things figured out

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Ballo was steady tonight , I think he is getting things figured out
    Ballo was just nervous those first 2 games. He looked just fine tonight. A 7'er that can shoot free throws is a valuable weapon to have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Ballo was just nervous those first 2 games. He looked just fine tonight. A 7'er that can shoot free throws is a valuable weapon to have.
    Agreed. Masterful coaching by Few sticking with Ballo, letting him work out his nerves on the court. He’s going to be a solid backup this year. Good enough on offense to keep the defense honest and so long he just can’t not be a factor on defense.

I would love it if Ronny Turiaf could somehow come in and work with him a bit. I think it would really help.