Thread: Streaming Service of Choice?

Question Streaming Service of Choice?

I haven't subscribed to cable for 10+ years, however I dearly miss the ESPN/ESPNU games and either find a friend to host or meet at a pub. With stay-at-home, neither option is good for me now...

I have Disney Plus, so was thinking of adding ESPN+, but if I understand the description correctly, this does not grant me access to the actual ESPN channels (or games).

Also, in looking at the schedule on gozags.com, future ESPN games (past W. Virginia) simply say "ESPN Networks", so I'm thinking they don't even know which ESPN channel.

So... Do most people use Sling TV? Is there something cheaper?

I subscribe to AT&T Now streaming service. My plan is an old one grandfathered in so I get the ESPN channels. I also surprisingly started getting Root a few months ago, so I'm happier! I haven't looked in a while but I thought YouTube.tv had lots of sports options.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfriend View Post
    Also, in looking at the schedule on gozags.com, future ESPN games (past W. Virginia) simply say "ESPN Networks", so I'm thinking they don't even know which ESPN channel.
    The reason for that is because the Pac-12 also has a deal with ESPN Networks. They have 6 days before tip to decide, so one game (Pac-12 or WCC) will be on ESPN, the other on ESPN2. The Zags will never be on ESPNU.

As to streaming, I guess Sling is as good as any. Not sure if they carry ROOT, but they do carry ESPN/2.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

I haven't subscribed to cable for 10+ years, however I dearly miss the ESPN/ESPNU games and either find a friend to host or meet at a pub. With stay-at-home, neither option is good for me now...

I have Disney Plus, so was thinking of adding ESPN+, but if I understand the description correctly, this does not grant me access to the actual ESPN channels (or games).

The Gonzaga vs WV game is on ESPN.

Look at Hulu Live. It carries the ESPN channels. You can also get a package deal with Disney+ included.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I’ve researched it a couple of times and Hulu and YouTube always come out on top for my needs which aren’t exclusively sports.
    I found some good info here.
    https://www.groundedreason.com/
    Last edited by Birddog; 12-01-2020 at 06:32 AM.

I use Hulu Live. I used to stream ESPN games by using my son's Comcast login but I stopped doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    I use Hulu Live. I used to stream ESPN games by using my son's Comcast login but I stopped doing that.
    Seriously contemplating but how does one get root sports for when zags on that channel?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The reason for that is because the Pac-12 also has a deal with ESPN Networks. They have 6 days before tip to decide, so one game (Pac-12 or WCC) will be on ESPN, the other on ESPN2. The Zags will never be on ESPNU.

As to streaming, I guess Sling is as good as any. Not sure if they carry ROOT, but they do carry ESPN/2.
    Root has been the deal-breaker for streaming for me. I have to use Directv for this here in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Seriously contemplating but how does one get root sports for when zags on that channel?
    There lies the rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Two of the AT&T packages show Root as the regional sports network available. The rub is you have to have your billing address and device in their coverage area. Packages look like they cost $65 and $75 per month. Both have all the ESPN channels. I think there are cheaper options to get ESPN options, but this is the only other streaming option to have Root, outside of Comcast.

I'm paying $70/month for youtubetv. I live in Spokane though, so the local games are just on channel 6 or FOX usually. Don't have to worry about ROOT. Also don't get the PAC12 network, but I hate Bill Walton, so I'm ok with that. Really kinda glad we don't have any PAC12 games for that reason......I really hate Bill.
    Anyway, back on subject, I really like youtubetv as far as sports goes. About the only legitimate problem I've had is the same problem I had with DISH which is sometimes the guide isn't updated with the games when on the local channels, thus they don't record unless you manually set it up to record whatever "it says" is on, such as Jeopardy etc. Oh, and you do get some commercial breaks where obviously there isn't any paid commercial to go there, so you get a standard time filler screen, usually with music, sometimes even a pretty nature scene. (Which I prefer over almost every commercial ever made)

Well, this is a new twist. Credit to Stanford (hail to the trees) to giving us another option. You'll like this. It's based on a a scientific study, but you get pretty much all the national networks (local to SF). Enjoy!

https://puffer.stanford.edu/

What channels can I watch?
    Puffer re-transmits free over-the-air broadcast television signals received by an antenna located on the campus of Stanford University. At the moment, we are re-transmitting local affiliates or owned stations of CBS (KPIX 5), NBC (KNTV 11), ABC (KGO 7), Fox (KTVU 2), PBS (KQED 9), CW (KBCW 44).
    I've been stressed about the upcoming need for CBS coverage (Dish and KIRO [Seattle] are having another petty dispute over money) for the Baylor game. Problem solved. Login required, but you get the pixels you crave. It's legal, and I'll be taking advantage.

I haven't had to stream a zags game yet this year. But they might be available on sportsurge.net for free-- this is where I go to stream NBA and College Football. If I remember I will check on free streams tonight and report back.