Thread: SSF's Steven Karr: Film Room: Gonzaga’s Defense in Fort Myers

Default SSF's Steven Karr: Film Room: Gonzaga’s Defense in Fort Myers

Film Room: Gonzaga’s Defense in Fort Myers

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...-in-fort-myers

I love the video showing the individual defense. Cook is a handful!

Thanks, Scrooner. A great article with good film.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Great stuff. I learned a lot. Would like to see more analysis like this. Makes me appreciate the game even more.

ZZ

Really good analysis. College coaches - unless their whole program is defined by defense - will always tell you that their team's defense is always behind their offense early on in the season. It's even more challenging when you have a team like GU who can just simply outscore people. But trying to simply outscore people is not likely to lead to a national title. I think the program learned that in 2017 when they were within a hair's length of winning it all. You tell even after the Kansas win that Few was not happy with the defense. I also agree with the take that fans (and critics) should not be upset with point totals with this team. as Karr says:

Because of Gonzaga’s pace, there will be an abnormally high number of possessions every game, which means they will give up a decent number of points. I wouldn’t focus on the point total as much as points per possession, field goal percentage, and rebounding. They gave up 1.10 PPP against Kansas, which is not ideal, but not the end of the world facing a top 10 team with very little scouting available. They gave up just 10 points across a seven-minute stretch late in the second half to ice the game. Friday, they gave up just 0.88 PPP to the Tigers, which would have been a top 12 result in 33 games last season. Auburn shot just 37 percent from the field and turned it over 17 times.

Where is a good free site to see more of the advanced metrics like points per possession?

ZZ

Cook is outstanding, i do hope he stay next year. We need a guy like that.

Kenpom is very good Zagzilla

This team has the potential to be very effective defensively. This team has a lot of speed and length with players who are willing to put in the effort to defend at a high level. They have already shown that they can force turnovers and rebound. The guards are good “on ball” defenders. We have smart players who see the floor well. It will take a few games for them to learn how to communicate with each other on the defensive end. Once they understood their defensive rotations and get comfortable playing together, they should be a credible defense.

The lack of rim protection will limit the defensive ceiling, unless Ballo, Watson, and Timme collectively develop that aspect of the game over the weeks to come.
    Last edited by Martin Centre Mad Man; 11-30-2020 at 03:36 PM.

CDC, what 5 were on the floor during that period?
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

This team doesn't need to defend like the 2017 team to win it all. They just don't want to become another Iowa who was #5 on offense and #97 on defense last season. The Hawkeyes are already at #73 on defense, and they haven't played anyone of substance.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Where is a good free site to see more of the advanced metrics like points per possession?

ZZ
    This one has all kinds of crazy stats and things you can mess around with. https://barttorvik.com/trank.php#

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    This one has all kinds of crazy stats and things you can mess around with. https://barttorvik.com/trank.php#
    Definitely one of my favorite sites. Pick on a team and it goes to multiple panes on that team, its players, and its schedule. I wish I was smart enough to understand all of the info provided.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the way this Zags team can score, D is key for stretches imo, to spurt away, to be able to lockdown for key possessions or key periods, especially in the 2nd half and late. Not sure if all the player groups can do it, but like last year and others, there are player groupings that can do it better than others. All the Zag lineups look like they can score, and Few and co. are MUCH improved tactically defensively than they used to be, versatile, more unpredictable, and also with the horses to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    the way this Zags team can score, D is key for stretches imo, to spurt away, to be able to lockdown for key possessions or key periods, especially in the 2nd half and late. Not sure if all the player groups can do it, but like last year and others, there are player groupings that can do it better than others. All the Zag lineups look like they can score, and Few and co. are MUCH improved tactically defensively than they used to be, versatile, more unpredictable, and also with the horses to do it.
    Yep. Three stops in row and you are up 8 or more
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few