Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: All Hail Jalen Suggs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,979

    Default All Hail Jalen Suggs

    Great in-depth article by Rob Dauster. Enjoy.

    https://robdauster.substack.com/p/al...ye4BRRGcEL41bs

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,809

    Default

    Corey is hardly the 3rd best player in the team. Each of the 3 is playing different positions so they’re hardly comparable but if I had to pick one, it would be Corey. Season’s young yet. We’ll see.
    Cook has only one year?? I love this kid on O and D!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    57,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Corey is hardly the 3rd best player in the team. Each of the 3 is playing different positions so they’re hardly comparable but if I had to pick one, it would be Corey. Season’s young yet. We’ll see.
    Cook has only one year?? I love this kid on O and D!!
    Cook is a grad transfer so would normally have only one year. However, since the eligibility clock is not running on any player this year, it is my understanding that he could return next year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Corey is hardly the 3rd best player in the team. Each of the 3 is playing different positions so they’re hardly comparable but if I had to pick one, it would be Corey. Season’s young yet. We’ll see.
    Cook has only one year?? I love this kid on O and D!!
    Who's most valuable? If we define this as least replaceable it's currently Timme only because of the drop off in his replacements. I'd say Jalen is next, Corey is 3. But Suggs will have the most successful pro career.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Cook is a grad transfer so would normally have only one year. However, since the eligibility clock is not running on any player this year, it is my understanding that he could return next year.
    Hadn’t thought of this. Surely one of Ayayi, Nembhard, Cook will return for 2021-22 season.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Nembhard has 2 more years of eligibility, not counting this years freebie.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Suburb
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    analysis from Jackson Frank on Jalen's

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/film-with-frank-44365565

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    analysis from Jackson Frank on Jalen's

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/film-with-frank-44365565
    This is a great article to savor. Pretty long, but still a great read with a lot of videos. Fun stuff for a good Monday morning.

    Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    analysis from Jackson Frank on Jalen's

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/film-with-frank-44365565
    Thanks Philly.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    I’m starting to think the hype wasn’t quite enough...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,534

    Default

    I like this from the initial article:

    In all the years that Gonzaga has been really good, they’ve never had a guy that can do all of these things. Josh Perkins was sensational in ball-screens. But he wasn’t the scorer Suggs can be. Nigel Williams-Goss was a first-team All-American. He wasn’t the athlete Suggs is. Kevin Pangos was a bucket, but he was nowhere near the driving threat that Suggs is.
    All three of those guys are amazing Zags, some of the best we've ever had, and the very early review is that Suggs combines the best of all three? Yikes!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I like this from the initial article:



    All three of those guys are amazing Zags, some of the best we've ever had, and the very early review is that Suggs combines the best of all three? Yikes!
    With the driving ability of pargo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,809

    Default

    Each of the three plays his own position although there is overlap. As the season progresses, the big 3 will be melded to a team and, as they depend on each other, I don't know if "good, better, best" will apply. All outstanding and are a unit i.e. each makes the other better. I do think the others on this team are not far behind. Joel is such a speed demon and can play point very well as can Cook. I do hope Balo comes along quickly and the same with Watson. As the season bears on we'll need all hands on deck to go the distance. This team and this group, at least early on, look to be the best we've had in decades.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Just going to say that Jalen Suggs plays more like Baby LeBron than any other player I’ve seen.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,349

    Default

    ESPN:

    Jalen Suggs ... Ohio State quarterback?

    The Gonzaga guard was the most electric freshman in the country in the first week of the 2020-21 season, connecting on more than 68% of his shots inside the arc and going viral on social media with his above-the-rim finishes and acrobatic layups. Gonzaga has scored 125 points per 100 possessions and made 72.7% of its shots inside the arc with Suggs on the floor, per hooplens.com.

    But what if Suggs were playing quarterback for Ohio State right now? Chris Goodwin, head football coach at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, said it was a possibility Ohio State's staff had discussed with him when it offered Suggs a football scholarship in 2018.

    "Ohio State absolutely was serious about it," he told ESPN.

    Last year, Suggs became the first player in Minnesota to win the Mr. Basketball and Mr. Football awards in the same season. He was a dual-threat star at Minnehaha Academy and had offers from multiple Power 5 programs. He averaged 10.0 yards per carry as a senior. He was sacked only five times, Goodwin said, throughout his four-year career. "No one could catch him," he said. Suggs also occasionally played free safety and wide receiver for Goodwin's team. He was a force on the football field and his vision and toughness translated to the basketball court, too.

    Suggs is a 6-foot-4, 205-pound guard who loves to finish through contact. In Gonzaga's first two games, he challenged Kansas' and Auburn's players with his physicality. Goodwin said he had the same tenacity on the gridiron.

    "He's a huge hitter, a gigantic hitter," he said. "He would knock guys out."

    But Suggs chose basketball. And now Mark Few has a player unlike any he has ever coached at Gonzaga.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    ESPN:

    Jalen Suggs ... Ohio State quarterback?

    The Gonzaga guard was the most electric freshman in the country in the first week of the 2020-21 season, connecting on more than 68% of his shots inside the arc and going viral on social media with his above-the-rim finishes and acrobatic layups. Gonzaga has scored 125 points per 100 possessions and made 72.7% of its shots inside the arc with Suggs on the floor, per hooplens.com.

    But what if Suggs were playing quarterback for Ohio State right now? Chris Goodwin, head football coach at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, said it was a possibility Ohio State's staff had discussed with him when it offered Suggs a football scholarship in 2018.

    "Ohio State absolutely was serious about it," he told ESPN.

    Last year, Suggs became the first player in Minnesota to win the Mr. Basketball and Mr. Football awards in the same season. He was a dual-threat star at Minnehaha Academy and had offers from multiple Power 5 programs. He averaged 10.0 yards per carry as a senior. He was sacked only five times, Goodwin said, throughout his four-year career. "No one could catch him," he said. Suggs also occasionally played free safety and wide receiver for Goodwin's team. He was a force on the football field and his vision and toughness translated to the basketball court, too.

    Suggs is a 6-foot-4, 205-pound guard who loves to finish through contact. In Gonzaga's first two games, he challenged Kansas' and Auburn's players with his physicality. Goodwin said he had the same tenacity on the gridiron.

    "He's a huge hitter, a gigantic hitter," he said. "He would knock guys out."

    But Suggs chose basketball. And now Mark Few has a player unlike any he has ever coached at Gonzaga.
    I didn't know he was 6'4 and 205.

    He already has an NBA-ready body.

    I always said we wouldn't win a NC w/o a Nigel, and there is a lot of the season to go, but I think we've got a guy in that area. He doesn't have the maturity of NWG, but neither do I as I write this, so that's not a put-down, but he isn't scared by the moment and is clearly comfortable leading. He has never set foot on anything where he wasn't the leader.

    Lots to the season to play but we might have that Nigel.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Jalen is starting to take on the aura of the most interesting man in America from the Dos equis advertising campaign. This is from wikipedia: "In seventh grade, he played three games of junior varsity basketball for Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis before moving to the varsity team. Suggs was a starter at the varsity level as an eighth-grader, averaging 17.5 points, 4.4 steals and four assists per game."

    That was new info to me. Just incredible what genetics and hard work have created.
    Last edited by tummydoc; 12-01-2020 at 09:32 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,646

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    With the driving ability of pargo
    Better than Pargo. I know what I saw last week.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

    Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,977

    Default

    Thanks for the link, Zagdawg. Enjoyed the podcast interview w/ Suggs. Jalen's an old-hand at interviews and it shows.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Thanks for the link, Zagdawg. Enjoyed the podcast interview w/ Suggs. Jalen's an old-hand at interviews and it shows.
    Agree. Thanks for the link and Jalen sounds so polished for a freshman and sounds like he’s really a great fit here at GU

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Better than Pargo. I know what I saw last week.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yessir. And Pargo was a beast around the rim.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Pargo became a fringe NBA player after a few years of development overseas. Jalen Suggs has some of the best advanced stats ever, admittedly in a limited sample size. He’s going to be an NBA all star sooner than not. I’ll be shocked if he isn’t top 3 in the deep 2021 draft.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,977

    Question

    After 2 games, Mr. Suggs has 14 assists and 3 turnovers, a nifty 4.6: 1 A/TO ratio. Got me to wondering: What were the A/TO ratios of some of GU's notable guards ?

    According to sportsreference.com, here's the results: ( Name, Ratio )

    Pangos - 2.41
    Perkins - 2.29
    N. Williams-Goss - 2.20
    D. Stockton - 2.09
    W. Brooks - 2.04
    R. Woolridge - 2.02
    M. Santangelo - 2.01 **
    J. Stockton - 1.87
    B. Stepp - 1.83
    D. Raivio - 1.82
    D. Dickau - 1.66
    J. Pargo - 1.65
    S. Gray - 1.62
    M. Bouldin - 1.58

    ** SportsReference doesn't show any TO stats for M. Santangelo for neither the 97-98 nor the 98-99 season; his A/TO ratio for the two seasons with complete stats was 2.01.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    After 2 games, Mr. Suggs has 14 assists and 3 turnovers, a nifty 4.6: 1 A/TO ratio. Got me to wondering: What were the A/TO ratios of some of GU's notable guards ?

    According to sportsreference.com, here's the results: ( Name, Ratio )

    Pangos - 2.41
    Perkins - 2.29
    N. Williams-Goss - 2.20
    D. Stockton - 2.09
    W. Brooks - 2.04
    J. Stockton - 1.87
    B. Stepp - 1.83
    D. Raivio - 1.82
    D. Dickau - 1.66
    J. Pargo - 1.65
    S. Gray - 1.62
    M. Bouldin - 1.58

    SportsReference doesn't show any TO stats for M. Santangelo for neither the 97-98 nor the 98-99 season, hence his omission from the list. His A/TO ratio for the two seasons with complete stats was 2.01.
    Impressive research. Thanks! Suggs could be very special when all is said and done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •