Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs West Virginia - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs West Virginia - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Another couple of big games coming up this week... first up is West Virginia.

Will Huggy Bear finally figure out how to beat Few? Will the press of WV be able to slow the Zags offensive juggernaut? What are you hoping to see? What are you expecting to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

WV D scares me a bit. This contest will be tighter than some think.
    Im hoping we can get some better minutes out of Ballo in this one, we will need his minutes to be meaningful.

Good ole boys 83
    The other ones 77
    America's Team!

Zags 92 -78

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I am really excited about this matchup. This will be a great learning opportunity for the players. The younger players have never seen this kind of defense. If I was Coach Few, I would try to schedule at least one game a year against West Virginia, Florida State, or Virginia to give the players a taste of playing through a physical, exhausting defensive battle before the Tournament.

This will be a lower scoring game for the Zags. Zags win 80-77.

Total contrast to Auburn and less extent Kansas. Well coached, D minded, hungry. And a HoF coach.

83-62 Zags

Zags 88 WV 73

Kudos to the staff for scrambling to slate to replace Tennessee. Third straight undefeated opponent. Zags have too many weapons. Plus, this year’s edition of WV lacks the press of previous teams. Win and stay healthy this week.

Zags 84
    WV. 68

Go Zags!

Zags 84
    Wvu 78
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Kudos to the staff for scrambling to slate to replace Tennessee.
    I thought the same thing when I first heard this, but have since learned otherwise:

"It’s not often that you can pick up an opponent the quality of Gonzaga in mere minutes, but that’s exactly what West Virginia ... head coach Bob Huggins was able to do. The No. 1 ranked Bulldogs were set to square off against Tennessee in the Jimmy V Classic inside Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana, before thing[s] were derailed. The Volunteers had to pull out of the event due to concerns over COVID-19 and Huggins just so happened to see that news roll across the ticker on his television screen while relaxing and readying for the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic three-game tournament. So the idea hit the veteran head coach.

“I thought what the heck, let’s call ESPN,” he said. “So I called some guys that I’ve known for a long, long time and said ‘can you work this out and get us in the Jimmy V to play Gonzaga’.” That longtime acquaintance said he would get back to Huggins in short order and low and behold, 15-minutes later the head coach’s phone was ringing. “He called me back and said we got it done. You’re in,” Huggins said."

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news...gether-quickly

The takeaway: Good on Hugs for pushing it, and good on Few for grabbing the offer.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Gu 88-67

Really hope they play.

Zags 91, WV 79
    GO ZAGS!!!

This is a scary game to me. I watched WV they are very athletic, well conditioned, and played very good defense. Could be a struggle but I hope not.
    79 zags-75WV
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

ZAGS this year are going to be almost impossible to press due to the ball handling ability of Kispert, Watson, and Timme. Forget about the zone press, the ZAG guards will shred it. If it's the man press just have Kispert, Watson, or Timme bring it up. Simple..............

ZAGS have always matched up well against WVU, this time will be no different.

ZAGS by 15+, ZAGS score over 80.

Go ZAGS

Red face Coach Huggy and his Beloved Alma Mater

Love in the Time of COVID*, a poem
    <ahem>
    There once was a boundless infection,
    Requiring some healthy correction.
    Huggy & West Jinny,
    (His "Morgantown Pretty"),
    A Mountaineer's love reconnection.

-------
    Few's beloved Gonzaga -- 88
    Huggy's beloved West Jinny - 71

= +

:]

*With a "title" tip-o'-the-hat to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I just hope the game happens
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

After the first game, I was tempted to never predict less than 100 points for this team for the rest of the season. They took their foot off the gas against Auburn, so now I know it's possible. What I think we'll see against West Virginia is a team that isn't as bothered by a pesky defense as we've had in the past - I think this offense will still be able to dictate the flow of the game.

Zags - 86
    U of WV - 72
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

I know there are those with their usual nervousness. I think it’s gonna be double digits.

Zags - 82
    WV - 67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be interesting to see if Press Virginia can slow down the GU attack. I don't think they can keep up with us. This is a great game for GU to get on the schedule-experience against handsy, aggressive defenses will pay dividends at tourney time.

On a related note, it has been interesting to see Few employ more pressing this week than he usually does. I think he has the personnel to pull it off and this game gives them a chance to see a very good press in action.

ZZ

Zags 87-69
    Last edited by willandi; 11-30-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    It's not funny.

85-77 Zags
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    This is a scary game to me. I watched WV they are very athletic, well conditioned, and played very good defense. Could be a struggle but I hope not.
    79 zags-75WV
    Me, too.

I am not good at predictions bc I tend to always not give our team enough credit and predict closer games.

But on this one, I see a very young point guard, and kinda weird 2-5 (in a good way but just not press breakers), and the 40 min press is just a different game and people go in dreading it, I think.

I think we'll just flat out talent them in the end with offensive efficiency and win 84-77
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Gonzaga 85
    West Virginia 72

West Virginia has a pretty good center in Culver. He's 6' 10" and weight 260, and averages 15 ppg and 10 rebounds. I'm going to enjoy this match up with He and Timme. Should be a lot of fun to watch. They have three guards that all average double figures: McBride-16.3. McNell-13.7. and Sherman-11.7. However, they do not shoot the 3 very well, on in the low 30% as a team. One player, Sherman does shoot well, hitting 63.6% of his threes.

The games with West Valley are always tough. They have a great coach. This will be a physical test, one that will be good for the Zags. The good thing I like about Gonzaga is that we've already had two very tough games, and not many teams are tougher than Kansas. I think West Virginia's post players will be more physical and tougher than Kansas, so it will be a good test for our inside game. Gonzaga has been scoring a lot of points in the paint, including drives by our guards and Kispert. This will a teat to see if we can still to the rim against a more physical team.

Wednesday can't get here soon enough.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Apparently I haven't paid attention. What day and time is this game happening...tentatively?
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Apparently I haven't paid attention. What day and time is this game happening...tentatively?
    4pm PT wed
    Love the zags for life