Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Watson

Quote Originally Posted by jagwalkley View Post
    I think Arlaulkas is not getting enough(any) time,he is better than Ballo,but does not get in,sad to see coach has his favorites.
    If he was a big, heíd play some, but heís not. No doubt he is far behind other options in his position group. Not to be disrespectful to Arlo, but what has he shown to be playable at this point? Ballo only is playing as heís the only option besides Zhakrov inside

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    If he was a big, heíd play some, but heís not. No doubt he is far behind other options in his position group. Not to be disrespectful to Arlo, but what has he shown to be playable at this point? Ballo only is playing as heís the only option besides Zhakrov inside
    Recall he had a couple of highlights last year. Didnít he even start a game?

Watson does we he needs to do to help the team, and he certainly does. He has a role to play and does that well, imo. I know Few loves him, and I can see why. We got to remember that this is a team game, and Gonzaga DOES play team basketball. Few knows what he's doing.

I thought Ballo looked better today. He only fell to the ground once. And he scored two baskets. He's improving.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Watson looks like heís added a lot of muscle and sort of like heís still getting used to his body. Great do everything glue guy this year. Will need to adapt much more of an alpha attitude next season and beyond to realize his considerable potential.

ps Nembhard has gotta stop shooting 3ís.
    I agree! I know Watson can shoot having watched him for years. I am wondering if Ballo is having some injury problems or if he is having trouble adjusting to the extra height and the weight loss. He doesnít look like the guy I watched play in FIBA games. I keep remembering a statement from last year that Ballo was the best guy in practice. This team is playing at a faster pace than most other teams and Kispert doesnít seem to be racking up assists. This offense could present problems for the freshman big. Writing players off in any way after watching 2 games is silly. So far we have seen a guardís dream game come true.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Good news is we'll have Watson's defense for at least 2 seasons.

To me, Watson should play every minute we can possibly keep him on the court. He's our only versatile big defender with plus skills on that end of the floor (and even if everyone loves watching guys shoot and the first thing they look at is points per game, stopping people from scoring is also somewhat important). We don't need anymore offense but someone that plays defense and gets deflections

And every extra minute should be going to Ballo. The only weakness we have shown so far is interior defense and pure size. Against a couple of the teams out there, that have true big men, we are going to need Ballo to be ready (even in a limited role). Nembhard, Cook and Arlauskas (and Harris/Strawther) are good players but they are just less effective versions of our stars playing the same roles. We have a need and Ballo (and Watson to a much lesser degree) fit what separates us from being the favorite in every game in March or being very concerned when we run into a team with a 5-star 7-footer that can push Timme around. The staff wouldn't be betting it all on Ballo if they didn't think he could do it. And anyone who watched his FIBA games knows he can. He's played 12 minutes, I'm going to reserve judgment until he has a couple hundred under his belt.

Timme gets in foul trouble trying to defend Garza and our season is over. Five fouls and a load of trouble from Ballo could be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    We need to remember that Watson is still a freshman in many ways. He only played in 15 games last season, and only averaged 14.7mpg before he got hurt. He is only going to get better. Also, Few is trying to get people to understand that Watson is not a back to the basket big man. There is this belief that he has to be. I still feel we need to see a little more offense & rebounding from him, but he by no means needs to be a double digit man for GU to be great. He can just be an improving role player who brings other things that no other GU players can bring to the court.
    In reality, he played about 7 games bc from that point on he was guarding his shoulder more than thinking and playing.

That being said, Suggs is in his games, too.

To me, and maybe I'm wrong, there are times he looks a little lost, maybe confused, and that maybe makes it look like lack of effort at times but probably is the opposite.

He just looks a little confused to me. But his ceiling is unlimited.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

He's doing just fine...just being on the floor, hes effective. The guy has a ton of length and a nice touch...not to mention a nice poised demeanor. He will get better and better as time goes on. The Zags win by contributions from MANY...thats whats makes it so hard to prepare for them. Watson is among those doing the damage...the other team has to account for him...and watch lazy passes around him.

Hes gotta have a big wingspan...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Recall he had a couple of highlights last year. Didnít he even start a game?
    I donít recall either of those. I didnít even think he looked better at end of non competitive games than the other bench players. He very well may develop in time but I donít see it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been playing great defense, but probably not going to be more than the 5th option no matter who is on the floor. His time will come but it won't be this year or even next year for that matter.

not sure i would describe Anton as stronger and bouncier than Mike Hart. He is a better all around player, taller, more of an offensive presence, and more athletic than Mike, with a much higher ceiling.

Nembhard reminds me of snacks when he arrived in the department of chucking up a lot of shots, but especially taking some bad attempt, low % shots. Few's system and coaching will reign that in, as it did with snacks, I predict.

I agree Arklauskas is a better overall player right now than Ballo. Problem is, we are thick with what Arklauskas has to offer. We are thin at having a Center who is clogging up the lane, shot blocking, and a bigger man than Timme defending above the rim. I was so happy to see Few give Ballo PT today, because that is about the only spot I see on our team that could stand an important boost. Just remember how other teams became cautious when driving to the bucket on Brandon Clark, Karno, Zach Collins, etc. I hope Ballo gets a lot of PT because it will speed up his learning. Pavel has a similar body as Zach Collins, but just not the inside presence the opponent fears in the paint, and dont think he has the hops that Collins and BC had.

Have you not noticed that team players like Watson, step up when needed and fill a helpful role when not. What a luxury. Mike Hart and Pendo are great examples of players who changed their game each year as needed. We do not need 5 Suggs on the floor. We just beat a top 5 team by 12pts a top 30 team by 21 pts. do you really think we need Watson to score more! We need him to do all the other things he can do so well and score within his comfort zone. And by the way, perfection is a standard somebody has established--it does not exist. That's why they practice and play to get better and better. I would not criticize a player until the same error was committed week after week with no sign of improvement. And yes I did and wouldd criticize snacks because he was a gunner first player who was not increasing his shooting percentage of makes but kept on shooting which I did not feel was in the best interest of the team. But apparently it was OK with coach Few, so it was just a problem to me. By the way he is in the NBA so what do I know. I really like what Larry Bird said "you will notice when I'm having an off shooting night my defense picks up dramatically". Now that is a team oriented guy.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 11-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

I feel like we're only scratching the surface of what Anton has to offer. Sky's the limit, as his confidence continues to grow.

interior defense is zags biggest weakness...will need both watson and ballo to step up. huggy bear will be interesting as they have a couple dudes down low...very curious to see how that plays out.

I also like Watson’s defense and is moving more without the ball. He is setting screens and passing. I will say by the end of the year he is going to have more than one big scoring night. I love his defense
    After Baylor we have 4 games that I think we will see a lot of Ballo and then we will know more where he stands

Anton started a bunch of games at the beginning of last year when Tillie was still recovering. He played well and people were excited about him.

He will rarely outscore one of the big three, but he is solid and will only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    interior defense is zags biggest weakness...will need both watson and ballo to step up. huggy bear will be interesting as they have a couple dudes down low...very curious to see how that plays out.
    I actually think our perimeter defense has been the most obvious area to address. In particular the 3pt defense and rotations on that

I actually think our perimeter defense has been the most obvious area to address. In particular the 3pt defense and rotations on that

What defense? It looks like we are playing HORSE.

I hear you Mr. V................same "problem" as the last decade+. IMHO it is a conscious decision by the staff to take away the paint and make teams live and die by the 3. Can't have both and can't argue with the results, although it is a bit disconcerting when the opposing team drains two or three in a row from deep to cut a double digit lead to five or six in less than a minute. As I recall, the guys crushed both KU and Auburn on points in the paint and were pretty close to a draw from behind the arc. Not going to change and I don't think there is a reason to change. It's not broken so no reason to try and fix it.

My area to address every year is TO's. The guys are doing well so far (small sample size) and if they can keep TO's to fewer than 12 a game they are pretty much unbeatable. This is another area where Suggs will be a big help running the show (1 TO against KU and 2 against Auburn).

Enjoy the ride.

Go ZAGS

Back to Watson.

I like what the Zags get defensively. His length and reaction time results in turnovers and altered passes, reducing the amount of time other teams have on the shot clock.
    My one thing I would like to see is him making lay-ins and chip shots. If finesse doesn't work, jam it home.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Timme gets in foul trouble trying to defend Garza and our season is over. Five fouls and a load of trouble from Ballo could be the difference.
    Did you consider the prospect that Timme would foul out Garza first? Luka's a big, rugged baller perfect for the Big 10. Let's see how he does playing a crafty center like Drew. When Luka gets the ball, I'm betting he'll be swarmed by quick handed Zags looking to pick his pockets.

I'm looking forward to that game, it's going to be awesome.

Watson's role at this point is defense and rebounding. He's more than capable of scoring in double figures on occasion, but I doubt there will be many occasions where we will expect or need, for that matter, more than 5-6 points and 4-5 rebounds out of Anton. His value on defense is obvious, especially when we apply 3/4 court pressure. On offense, he is capable of scoring and so will draw attention and open up scoring opportunities for Corey, Jalen, Drew, and Joel. I think we have an offense that can average close to 90 per game even if Anton averages 6.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    óKurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Have you not noticed that team players like Watson, step up when needed and fill a helpful role when not. What a luxury. Mike Hart and Pendo are great examples of players who changed their game each year as needed. We do not need 5 Suggs on the floor. We just beat a top 5 team by 12pts a top 30 team by 21 pts. do you really think we need Watson to score more! We need him to do all the other things he can do so well and score within his comfort zone. And by the way, perfection is a standard somebody has established--it does not exist. That's why they practice and play to get better and better. I would not criticize a player until the same error was committed week after week with no sign of improvement. And yes I did and wouldd criticize snacks because he was a gunner first player who was not increasing his shooting percentage of makes but kept on shooting which I did not feel was in the best interest of the team. But apparently it was OK with coach Few, so it was just a problem to me. By the way he is in the NBA so what do I know. I really like what Larry Bird said "you will notice when I'm having an off shooting night my defense picks up dramatically". Now that is a team oriented guy.
    Well said....just an UNselfish player besides, the Zags just took care of 2 pretty darn athletic teams...not a whole lot to complain about.

My worry...Timme's replacement..and teams will go after him.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Did you consider the prospect that Timme would foul out Garza first? Luka's a big, rugged baller perfect for the Big 10. Let's see how he does playing a crafty center like Drew. When Luka gets the ball, I'm betting he'll be swarmed by quick handed Zags looking to pick his pockets.

I'm looking forward to that game, it's going to be awesome.
    Itís a possibility. I hope it is Drew getting his guy in foul trouble, not the other way around. But Teske destroyed Petro and Timme last season. Timme is fantastic at everything except guarding those big physical guys. He didnít look that great defending the post this weekend but wasnít really challenged by either team. At some point some coach will try to go right at him with a bigger guy. Hopefully, Ballo is ready to help out when that happens.

Thatís not a knock on Timme, he canít help that he isnít bigger. Like Sabonis, he gets every ounce of talent out of what God gave him. I wish he was 7í1Ē. I love Timme but if we have a weakness itís at backup center. But I think Ballo could be ready by March to back him up.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    To me, Watson should play every minute we can possibly keep him on the court. He's our only versatile big defender with plus skills on that end of the floor (and even if everyone loves watching guys shoot and the first thing they look at is points per game, stopping people from scoring is also somewhat important). We don't need anymore offense but someone that plays defense and gets deflections.
    Agreed with all of your post but I want to focus on Watson. It doesn’t make sense to me to look for something wrong with him because he’s not putting up big numbers right now. We all know he can score, but he missed some shots (including some bunnies I’ll admit) in the first couple of games and it’s like this is a huge problem we have to address. It would be nice to score 150 per game but it’s not realistic and it’s not necessary, 100 will do just fine. What we need is his defense. His offense will come around anyway. Not even close to a problem.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!