Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Watson

Default Thoughts on Watson

After these first two games... I have come to the conclusion that anything Watson scores is just gravy. His D is so outstanding. His ability to play D is as comforting as a warm blanket on a cold winter's night.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I totally agree. In fact my wife and I had that conversation during the game. Love it when I can throw my wife in the conversation. She is not a sports fan, EXCEPT, for Gonzaga basketball and as the years have gone by she is getting pretty smart (at basketball that is)! She always was smarter than me!

Agree but to the extent he can become a better rebounder he will become our D Rodman and that would be great. I’d also like to see him in the post when Timee is out. He’s a major upgrade over Ballo, who’s years away.

Default Thoughts on Watson

I’ve personally thought that Watson looked sluggish both games and is trying to find his role. He’s going to be a key to any run we make and a big piece in coming years. He will get going though.

I almost think we’d be better off using Timme and four guards with Watson coming off the bench for Timme and Kispert.

Ballo is exactly what I’d heard and was ridiculed for saying preseason. A kid with a big upside that is very raw. He’s going to be on a similar plan as Rui. He honestly wouldn’t see the floor if he wasn’t the only backup to Timme/Watson..no disrespect to Zhakrov intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They ran the offence through him today on occasion. He definitely will add another option to an already explosive machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Watson is a big time disruptor on defense, he accounts for several deflections per game. If he plays some post, then he needs to finish stronger at the rim. He may still be a little gun shy.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I’ve personally thought that Watson looked sluggish both games and is trying to find his role. He’s going to be a key to any run we make and a big piece in coming years. I almost think we’d be better off using Timme and four guards with Watson coming off the bench for Timme and Kispert.

Yessir, my point as well. He’s just taking up space on O w our roadrunner guards and wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yessir, my point as well. He’s just taking up space on O w our roadrunner guards and wings.

No doubt Watson does not have the flash as the other starters but he is in for his defense. Today did see Watson make a couple of nice plays today however also seen him miss a lay in standing still right in front of the basket that he should have done the sure layup.

Small sample size for Watson. He seems a bit tentative right now so I'm hoping we can see a bit more explosion on the offensive end. When he has the lane and space he needs to be dunking, the lazy layup won't work against athletic teams. Ballo is not near where I thought he would be which is concerning to me, we need to solidify that backup spot.
    America's Team!

Watson looks like he’s added a lot of muscle and sort of like he’s still getting used to his body. Great do everything glue guy this year. Will need to adapt much more of an alpha attitude next season and beyond to realize his considerable potential.

ps Nembhard has gotta stop shooting 3’s.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Watson looks like he’s added a lot of muscle and sort of like he’s still getting used to his body. Great do everything glue guy this year. Will need to adapt much more of an alpha attitude next season and beyond to realize his considerable potential.

ps Nembhard has gotta stop shooting 3’s.
    Nembhard does not have a a scorers mentality but shoots like he does.

Watty is noticeably thicker than when we saw him last. Looking more like a power forward than a step-out 4. He helps our defense more than our offense which is fine since we have all the firepower we need.

Ballo looks thick and lumbering-not bouncy. Hope he is coachable in the way Kelly, Rui and Karno were at the beginning of their careers. Remember he is still barely 18.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nembhard does not have a a scorers mentality but shoots like he does.
    3 airballs in 2 games. I will have to look at his FLA numbers but I thought he was a better shooter.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    3 airballs in 2 games. I will have to look at his FLA numbers but I thought he was a better shooter.
    Read it and weep. Thirty percent from 3 last year. Down from 35%. Overall fg two years at UF about 42%. Otoh, 6 apg and 76% ft

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...embhard-1.html

Watson is freshly back. Looks bigger and taller. He was a great scorer and rebounder in HS. That shoulder doesn't seem to be bother him in terms of range of motion. I suspect he need more time to "trust" it as BZ used to say. I suspect he'll be a superior defender and good offensive option (future).

I like him. It's early.really early.

Read it and weep. Thirty percent from 3 last year. Down from 35%. Overall fg two years at UF about 42%. Otoh, 6 apg and 76% ft

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...embhard-1.html
    Stick to facilitating. Good on the pick n roll and setting up the Off.
    America's Team!

If Watson can just consistently convert when he has the ball near the rim, that would be enough for this offense. He hasn’t done that in the first couple of games, but he did it during the early games of last season. He will be fine.

We need to remember that Watson is still a freshman in many ways. He only played in 15 games last season, and only averaged 14.7mpg before he got hurt. He is only going to get better. Also, Few is trying to get people to understand that Watson is not a back to the basket big man. There is this belief that he has to be. I still feel we need to see a little more offense & rebounding from him, but he by no means needs to be a double digit man for GU to be great. He can just be an improving role player who brings other things that no other GU players can bring to the court.

I've seen the only thing I expected from Watson from game one to game two.....improvements. same can be said for Ballo, though smaller improvements. If both of these guys can just keep improving instead of regressing, then I'll be happy.

We obviously don't need many points from him based on what we have accomplished so far as an offensive team. His defense and rebounds will keep Zags in the win column. Cook is solid too.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    We obviously don't need many points from him based on what we have accomplished so far as an offensive team. His defense and rebounds will keep Zags in the win column. Cook is solid too.

Go Zags!!!
    Good point. Any scoring increase by Watson will be at the expense of someone else. Tough to squeeze more points in when they are scoring 100 pts a game.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post

Go Zags!!!
    This.................Watson is not in there to be a double/double guy, the team already has 3 (or 4 if you add Joel) of those guys, don't need another one. He is a great defender and facilitator for the other guys, knows and accepts his role, and complements the rest of the guys really well. IMHO, he is this years "glue guy", like Hart and Pendo in years past, only bigger, stronger, faster, and bouncier. It's only been two games, let's not try to fix something that obviously isn't broken. Remember.............there are five ZAGS on the floor at a time, and only one ball.

Go ZAGS

He needs to score enough to keep a defense honest

Took the words right off my keyboard BD!!

Agree but to the extent he can become a better rebounder he will become our D Rodman and that would be great. I’d also like to see him in the post when Timee is out. He’s a major upgrade over Ballo, who’s years away.
    I think Arlaulkas is not getting enough(any) time,he is better than Ballo,but does not get in,sad to see coach has his favorites.