• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Zags vs Auburn Postgame

Zags win easily 90 to 67.

Timme and kispert were very good. I was happy to see Ballo get his 1st bucket in college. I was happy to see Watson be more aggressive with the ball. Suggs is a stud.

Honestly this team is so scary and deep its amazing to watch.
  • GonzaGAW
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2012

- deep except at the 5 spot, that is actually our achilles heel.
    - yes, baby step improvements from watson and ballo
    - so pleased with timmie's free throw shooting so far. he is gonna be going to the line more than the next 2 players combined. need that improvement to continue.
    - would like to see the turnovers come down a bit. i know we play fast and with more possessions than almost all other teams, but still 15 and 14 is a bit high for this group.
    - great rebounding, good game, well done team

Comment

• zagamatic
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2009

I'm not too worried about turnovers at this point for the following reasons: a lot of those turnovers were either taken right back or didn't result in points, we had zero exhibition/ warmup games, and these games were back to back days against high level athletes from power 5 conferences. I'll be surprised if we have more than 12 turnovers apiece against Baylor and West Virginia now that the guys know that they can't make lazy long passes against these kinds of athletes.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2016

Few has a definite 7 man rotation with Ballo getting a little more time which sprinkles in 8 players, heres a break down of minutes today. Ayala 33 minutes, Timme 30, Kispert 29, Watson 27, Suggs 26, Nembhard 24, Cook 18, Ballo 7 minutes.

This was a blowout today Zags up by 30 points no let up by Few he is getting all 7 man rotation maximum minutes. He only subbed everybody out with 2 minutes left in game.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

The Euros seemed ticketed for Monninghoff land

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2016

Another nice rebounding day by Ayayi 7 rebounds and a big shout out to Timme who had 28 points and 10 rebounds double double.

Kispert is our 3 point man 4-8 today. Very thankful Kispert came back to the Zags for another year.

Nobody on our team has hops, speed, glide, and moves like Suggs. Just in two games I can't believe his body control and moves when taking it home to the basket.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

What is the deal with Nembhard and his long range shooting? Almost every long range shot he's jacked up has been an air ball despite getting wide open looks.

The guy on this team who is not getting enough credit is Aaron Cook. What a terrific find by Few and his staff. That kid is an elite on ball defender. But he can score better than many think, and he brings much needed experience to the rotation. He actually reminds me of some of Kansas' non-NBA guards of the past.

Comment

• zagamatic
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2009

It just makes me smile to know that the only 2 teams in the top 10 to lose so far have both lost to WCC teams

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                  What is the deal with Nembhard and his long range shooting? Almost every long range shot he's jacked up has been an air ball despite getting wide open looks.

The guy on this team who is not getting enough credit is Aaron Cook. What a terrific find by Few and his staff. That kid is an elite on ball defender. But he can score better than many think, and he brings much needed experience to the rotation. He actually reminds me of some of Kansas' non-NBA guards of the past.
                  Absolutely. He is relentless on the defensive end.

I like the maturity that he brings on offense. He is fearless when he attacks the defense, but he seems to understand that he doesn’t need to be a primary scoring option. He is a great option as our backup point guard.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• zagzilla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

CDC-great call out for Cook. He has looked very good. Perhaps overshadowed by Suggs and Nembhard but he had a really nice stint in the second half with a steal and also a great dribble drive for a layup. Reminded me of Gilder in a good way.

Nembhard's shot looks funky-those 3's were way off-usually short. 4 turnovers today lead the Zags

Seems like we always give up too many open 3 point looks and that's what kept KU in the game for awhile and Flanigan from the 3 was Auburn's best threat today. Our 2ptFG% is great but we are just 12-39 from deep after 2 games. Kispert has been solid but everybody else hasn't shown that they are worth guarding closely outside. Yet.

Suggs is electric but has shown a propensity to commit some dumb fouls-freshman. Highlight reel plays with the alley oop, the twirling drive through contact, the speed on the open court to blow by JT Thor for the and 1,etc... The only other Zags who made the kind of impression he has on me in their debuts were Ammo at MSG and Bouldin with his 9 3's vs WSU. Cherish each of these games, we are watching something special.

Timme is soooo good. Fundamentally sound, a bit cocky, tenacious and makes the plays look easy. Back-to-back career highs in scoring though 7 TO's is too many for the weekend.

Praying the Zags stay healthy and we get to see them realize their potential.

ZZ

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post

Suggs is electric but has shown a propensity to commit some dumb fouls-freshman. Highlight reel plays with the alley oop, the twirling drive through contact, the speed on the open court to blow by JT Thor for the and 1,etc... The only other Zags who made the kind of impression he has on me in their debuts were Ammo at MSG and Bouldin with his 9 3's vs WSU. Cherish each of these games, we are watching something special.

ZZ
                      Think you actually meant Pangos for the nine threes against WSU. The thing that has caught my eye about Watson's defense is not getting his arms up to contest opponent threes. Otherwise, his mobility/movement on D seems quite good. Wish he could be more productive on offense though.

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Zags win by 23. I predicted that they'd win by 21. My predictions were pretty sound this weekend. I predicted Zags would beat Kansas by 14 and they won by 12. Thanks for all of the great posts. Fun to read them all. Watson missed two layups. If he had made those (and he should have) he would have scored 10 points with 5 rebounds and 2 assists and a block. If he had made those two layups no one would be questioning his play. He did get 6 points and 5 boards. Ayayi only got 5 and I don't see any criticisms of him here. I love how Watson plays, and as time goes on he will make those layups. He has really good potential to score 10 pts a game this year and he'd be our 5th or 6th player to score double figures. I like Ayayi's game too.

I agree with what has been said about Cook. I LOVE how he plays D, and handles the ball better than Nembhard, IMO. Better back up guard.

So far Kispert and Timme have been unstoppable, and we've played two really good defensive teams, with really good coaches. I'm not sure what other coaches will begin to do to try to stop them. I know they will want to double team Timme, but his game is so versatile that he makes that hard to do. He handles the ball like a guard. There is no Big in the country who plays like him, and the one 5 that may be as good is Villanova's 5. If we play them that's going to be a great matchup. Kispert has improved more than anyone in my mind. He has added so much to his game, and is really shooting the ball well from the outside so far this year. I love his confidence., and so far I have not noticed him being a liability on defense; so that's a huge improvement as well.

I continue to marvel at Suggs' defense and passing. And his full-court transition game.

Not much has been said about Gonzaga's defense. I thought they played much better D today. Holding Auburn to 67 points in an uptemple game like the one played today is really good. Auburn had two 7 footers and they really didn't bother us at all. That was one of my concerns going into the season, and I just don't have it right now. Gonzaga has beaten two very good teams, and we handled all their bigs. And we know our D will really improve as the season goes on. Kansas beat St Joe 's by like 22 and scored 94 points. I do believe Kansas is a very good teem, and our victory over them was just AWESOME. I don't see Kansas losing many the rest of the way, and they are deserving of their #6 ranking in Kenpom. And I think that will go up, especially with Virginia losing to San Francisco. The WCC had a real good week. I'm looking forward to another tough conference.

Play of the game to me: Ayayi alley-oop to Suggs on the fast break. Wow!

Go Zags!
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

If opposing teams try to double on Timme, they will regret it. Drew was constantly double teamed in HS, sometimes triple teamed. I saw that in the one game he played at our HS, you know, the one with an arena that half the WCC would die for.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Drew was double teamed all night, and he was very adept at finding an open teammate.

Comment

• zag buddy
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2007

I am impressed with ayaia. It's like he was given things to work on during his nba time. He appears to me to be very, very confident in his game and will do more for the team as needed.

Comment

• jim77
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                              I am impressed with ayaia. It's like he was given things to work on during his nba time. He appears to me to be very, very confident in his game and will do more for the team as needed.
                              Agreed, the guy just has a nose for the ball...and goes to the boards REALLY well for a guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X