Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USF is leading Virginia with 2 minutes left

- one of the best victories by a wcc team (other than gonzaga) in a long long time.
    - really when did one of our conference mates beat a top 5 team last?
    - congrats to usf.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - one of the best victories by a wcc team (other than gonzaga) in a long long time.
    - congrats to usf.
    Santa Clara beat No. 4 UNC in 2004... can't otherwise remember but there's probably one in between

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    Well BYU Jimmered the #4 Aztecs back in 2010-11 but technically that was before they joined the WCC

Can't think of any others (edit: forgot about Broncos over Heels). Certainly not SMC-they were 0-30 vs Top 5 opponents before they beat us in 2019 when we were #1.

Great win for USF

ZZ

USF got a good athletic director, and the renovation of the legendary War Memorial Gym has a ton of history. They made an excellent hire in sticking with associate head coach Todd Golden. Too many teams at USF's level change the whole staff when a guy like Kyle Smith moves on to a BCS team. I personally feel that Kyle should have waited for a better job than WSU. He's a great coach who would've eventually coached a mid-level BCS program. But USF made the right choice in who they replaced him with.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    USF got a good athletic director, and the renovation of the legendary War Memorial Gym has a ton of history. They made an excellent hire in sticking with associate head coach Todd Golden. Too many teams at USF's level change the whole staff when a guy like Kyle Smith moves on to a BCS team. I personally feel that Kyle should have waited for a better job than WSU. He's a great coach who would've eventually coached a mid-level BCS program. But USF made the right choice in who they replaced him with.
    Not Kyle’s last bounce

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Well BYU Jimmered the #4 Aztecs back in 2010-11 but technically that was before they joined the WCC

Can't think of any others (edit: forgot about Broncos over Heels). Certainly not SMC-they were 0-30 vs Top 5 opponents before they beat us in 2019 when we were #1.

Great win for USF

ZZ
    Feb 22

BYU beat #2 GU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Feb 22

BYU beat #2 GU

Yeah not counting GU was the question.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Santa Clara beat No. 4 UNC in 2004... can't otherwise remember but there's probably one in between
    I was at that game. UNC has a tradition of giving its players a hometown game before they leave the program. It was a UNC hometown game for one of their guards who was from Oakland. He never turned out to be much of a player for the Heels. It's kind of interesting that when the Heels play these hometown games against non-BCS teams, they sometimes struggle. Northern Iowa beat them too....partly because the hometown kid was injured and couldn't play in his hometown game.

I do not understand why BCS teams from the east feel compelled to play non-BCS road games before they head off to the Maui Invitational. Vanderbilt got beat by Saint Mary's. LMU almost beat a ranked Notre Dame team.

BTW - Pepperdine is currently up 7 at the half against UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Yeah not counting GU was the question.

ZZ
    Oh, I thought it meant not counting GU’s wins.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Oh, I thought it meant not counting GU’s wins.
    Could be. If so, then SMC win in 2019 when we were #1 counts too. Unfortunately those tend to count more as "bad losses" by GU than "good wins" for the WCC. Been a long time since our WCC brethren took down a marquee OOC opponent like USF did today.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Really? WSU is not a terrible job with Chun in charge now. They are getting renovations and his analytics system in place too. He just had the best recruiting class they’ve had a decade. Not to mention his wife is from the area. I think he’s going to do good there and be there for awhile.

Pepperdine giving UCLA a run for their money. In over time now.

Ugh, Pepperdine falls in triple overtime to UCLA 107-98

We already knew Colby Ross was legit-now everybody else does too.

ZZ

Imagine -- some jerk on this Board two days ago left this post: "The Dons, 14 point favorites against UMass-Lowell (???), lose by 8 points. I'm not sure where the Dons were rated, but it's too high."
    What a nitwit!

Ummm ... wait a minute ... that was me! Sorry Dons -- I'm a nitwit.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Even though SF player Bouyea played against our 2017 team twice here is what he said about SF's victory over #4 Virginia:

Bouyea said. "I've been here for four years and this is probably the best team I've played in four years. To beat them and just have an amazing performance is wonderful."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401255646

I am glad SF won, I like them, am happy for GU, and the WCC. I am glad Bouyea is buoyantly speaking his joy, and wish him and the whole team a strong year.

I just disagree with his statement , considering the number of times we beat SF in the last four years, and probably a least some of them while ranked #1.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Imagine -- some jerk on this Board two days ago left this post: "The Dons, 14 point favorites against UMass-Lowell (???), lose by 8 points. I'm not sure where the Dons were rated, but it's too high."
    What a nitwit!

Ummm ... wait a minute ... that was me! Sorry Dons -- I'm a nitwit.

Thanks for saving me the time to find that, SLO!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Even though SF player Bouyea played against our 2017 team twice here is what he said about SF's victory over #4 Virginia:

Bouyea said. "I've been here for four years and this is probably the best team I've played in four years. To beat them and just have an amazing performance is wonderful."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401255646

I am glad SF won, I like them, am happy for GU, and the WCC. I am glad Bouyea is buoyantly speaking his joy, and wish him and the whole team a strong year.

I just disagree with his statement , considering the number of times we beat SF in the last four years, and probably a least some of them while ranked #1.
    Just an excited kid, no big deal. Enjoy it, great win.

Easy to understand with the huge win against a highly ranked power 5 school.

Gonzaga boat races teams. Virginia is more of a hand to hand battle. Makes for a very emotional game.

Great win for a good WCC team. It will make the conference games mean more. Zags had better keep focused.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Easy to understand with the huge win against a highly ranked power 5 school.

Gonzaga boat races teams. Virginia is more of a hand to hand battle. Makes for a very emotional game.

Great win for a good WCC team. It will make the conference games mean more. Zags had better keep focused.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I would agree with that. That West Virginia Sweet Sixteen win was huge for Gonzaga even though we’ve beaten higher ranked teams and higher seeded tournament teams. To come from behind and prevail in a one possession game against that kind of defensive team is an amazing accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Great win for the Conference!!!
    Great results for WCC this week. I would have loved Pepp to knock off UCLA. St Mary’s improved a lot over their 3 games. Jury is still out on Bennett as he wore the same sweatshirt 3 days in a row. Kidding aside, their two frosh played very well.