Thread: Highest praise I have ever heard, not coming from somebody already in Zag Nation

Default Highest praise I have ever heard, not coming from somebody already in Zag Nation

Here is Bill Self's quote, speaking of today's Thanksgiving game, all the more impressive to me when I think it was our first game of the season:

"And they are really good though. Next to that KY team, uh, well, Kentucky's two teams in 12 and whenever the other one was, that made the undefeated run for so long -- I don't know if we have played against a team where the pieces fit better, or, and the talent matched the pieces fit better moreso, than what we did today. They are really good."

I can accept the high praise, but noteworthy to me this early in the season is about how well the parts were fitting together. This is tribute to Few, in my interpretation.

Don’t want to oversell this group but it’s more of a machine and it’s only the beginning of the season.

I think the game tomorrow will be an indication of just how good this team will be in that playing Auburn and our defence shuts them down and the offence continues, then this week’s games really indicate just how good this team really is...IMO

I just hope Self doesn't cancel the Gonzaga/Kansas home & home series that starts next season because GU is too good!

Great to see Greg Foster drop 11 for the Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Great to see Greg Foster drop 11 for the Hawk.
    That was a good move for Greg. He’d be very deep in the rotation here.

High praise indeed. It wasn’t overnight, but a few has built a program, not a team. I love it. Keep it coming!

I can see the comparison. What I see is the speed of the game. That Kentucky team played at a pace that few teams could play. When you have a 5 as fast and as in shape as Timme is in, you can run forever. And when you don't really have a back up center and you bring in another guard, the speed is really going to amp up. And of Watson, as Few said, is really a big guard. Timme handles the ball on the break also like a guard. Kansas was forced to play small ball in order to run with the Zags, but they really hadn't practiced much small ball. I really love playing fast.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I can see the comparison. What I see is the speed of the game. That Kentucky team played at a pace that few teams could play. When you have a 5 as fast and as in shape as Timme is in, you can run forever. And when you don't really have a back up center and you bring in another guard, the speed is really going to amp up. And of Watson, as Few said, is really a big guard. Timme handles the ball on the break also like a guard. Kansas was forced to play small ball in order to run with the Zags, but they really hadn't practiced much small ball. I really love playing fast.

Go Zags!
    Drew would have averaged a triple double in HS, but his teammates weren't very good shooters. Even the good teams, like nationally ranked Duncanville, doubled and sometimes triple teamed him. He wasn't bothered at all, usually found a wide open teammate.

I expected a small letdown today. Understandable. Not a defeat by any means, but more a 10-15 point lead all game.

Just the opposite. Same intensity as yesterday to my eye. I'll let the BB people talk about execution and defense. I saw effort.

Speaks to the personality of this team.

They will need it: forty minutes of hell from West Virginia coming ranked team.

Setting up a very very fun number one versus two, game of the year prior to tournament.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I jumped on this quote to share with zag fans as soon as I saw it. I didn't get to Blanchette's article on the game where he quoted the same statement