Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga Vs Kansas Post game

Default Gonzaga Vs Kansas Post game

Wow. Just wow.

Zags win 102 to 90.

Suggs is the real deal. Kispert and Timme were very good as well. Ayayi with a solid game. Watson needs to do more on offense if he wants more playing time. Zags 62 points in paint, the most allowed by kansas in 15 years.

Mark few with 600th win. Congrats coach!

Go zags!
    Love the zags for life

Great game! Defense was frustrating at times but we need to keep it in perspective, this is their FIRST real game together. Few will tighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballguy View Post
    Great game! Defense was frustrating at times but we need to keep it in perspective, this is their FIRST real game together. Few will tighten it up.
    Need another reliable big. Suggs may be best Zag ever. Kispert gotta shoot more. Our big three best in CBB I believe.

Watson is the only player that didn't seem dominating at times. Maybe a matchup thing. I dunno. Everyone else, god, it's going to be a great year.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Need another reliable big. Suggs may be best Zag ever. Kispert gotta shoot more. Our big three best in CBB I believe.
    YUP.

Gotta have another big step up.

Better than Stockton??? I hear you, though. Jalen is simply electric.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Watson is the only player that didn't seem dominating at times. Maybe a matchup thing. I dunno. Everyone else, god, it's going to be a great year.
    I agree. He had a few wide open shots he didn't take and I expected a bit more defensively from him.

-wow is the word of the day

- ayayi is the best rebounding guard in the country (9 today)
    - if timmie can improve to 70% from the line this year, this team is going to shoot near 80% (3 of 4 today)
    - suggs, 8 to 1 in assists to turnovers, not too shabby for his first game against an elite top 10 team.

- as much as i loved this game, this win, huge watermark victory............i'm more excited to just watch them play again tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Noooo, that’d be truly heretical.

Suggs, Timme and Kispert were ALL better than any of the Kansas players.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    Suggs, Timme and Kispert were ALL better than any of the Kansas players.
    Today yes but they have their own five stars.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post

Anton was out a very long time last season. I did like the defensive message he sent to Kansas in the first couple of minutes.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Anton was out a very long time last season. I did like the defensive message he sent to Kansas in the first couple of minutes.
    Grasping, my friend. He looked lousy. Nembhard for Watty.

He's got all the talent (Watson) and he must learn to trust his shoulder.
    Suggs is a super player. He's plays in an entirely different culture than John did. His game different. 36 years different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Yeah, let’s not infer too much from one game. I do feel sorry for our conference opponents. Only possible hiccup is against BYU, but they all need a boost from a home crowd, which will not happen this year.

Wow, wow, wow!! We have an amazing team and deserve that #1 ranking. A few thoughts...

Suggs blew my expectations out of the water! A few overly aggressive and forced drives but he’ll find that balance.

We need a second big to step up. If Timme gets in foul trouble or heaven forbid gets hurt that is a huge hole we’ll have. Ballo came in for a few minutes and struggled with the speed of the game. Noticed he didn’t come back out the last 50 seconds.

Watson was pretty quiet most of the game. Was surprised with that. Hopefully it’s just rust from not playing for almost a year.

Loved the press and it seemed to have good results. Hope to see more of that! That was where Watson had the biggest impact. Great tip for the steal. Seemed to hang in the air forever!

We are embarrassingly rich at the guard spot. OMG!!

CBS studio crew giving lots of love for GU. More so than normal it seems. Effusive praise for Few and the program and how good they are!

Surreal watching this AM after 8 months of uncertainty. Can’t wait for the next game!

Only one game but hope we play better D going forward. Otherwise what an awesome game!!

Grasping, my friend. He looked lousy. Nembhard for Watty.
    I agree, he looked lazy out there. Hoping for more, we need him badly. Hoping we can get development from Ballo.
    America's Team!

I can see why Tommy got Ballo. What a low post body!! But he's gonna need a couple of years. Not very fluid.

I am sure Self is far more unhappy about the KU defense than Few is about GU's defense, but GU allowed too many threes, and they could have some troubles when facing teams with tall, skilled big men. This team needs to learn to "tighten the vice," as Tarkanian used to say. They allowed KU to hang around too long. I expect the D to get better. The offense is unreal. No one has too much pressure put on them except maybe Timme. He had a great game, but was forcing the action with 5 turnovers. As someone mentioned, Watson needs to step it up as this season goes along to provide Timme more offensive & defensive help. There are going to be games and certain matchups where GU isn't gonna be able to play all those perimeters.

Suggs is special. 247 Sports had him ranked too low. He is a top 5 guy. I feel bad for Harris. He is a very good player, but it is hard for Fewie to not play Nembhard who started every game at Florida, was a top 30 guy coming out of HS, and who Mark wanted as a recruit. Cook is going to get more time than Harris because of his experience (which GU needs) and his elite on ball defense.

Game one is over and GU got a really good win for the resume. Auburn lost almost everyone. Hopefully the team will be able to "work on some things" tomorrow, but the 8am PT tip time sucks.

I am so geeked about today's game that I am beyond the point of wetting myself. I need a serious catheter. We just beat the #6 team, and that is no easy task. I am so proud of this team and I know it can only get better. Hopefully the boys know there is another game tomorrow (against a weaker team, yes) and will not have a letdown.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

CBS studio crew giving lots of love for GU. More so than normal it seems. Effusive praise for Few and the program and how good they are!
    Maybe because it was on FOX unless you switched stations.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Coach Few gets a post-game shower from his minions:

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/1332070230143627264

Congrats !!

According to KenPom, GU's 77.3% 2PT shooting was the worst allowed by a Kansas team in the Bill Self era.

“Not the happiest of Thanksgivings so far... Those are the best guards we’ll play all year long.”- Bill Self says of Gonzaga. ( via Brenna Greene twitter feed )

Which is more impressive:

Jalen Suggs going 9-15 for 24 points

or

Jalen Suggs having 8 assists to 1 turnover ?

I think Suggs will be the first Zag to record a triple double.

I can't stop saying it to myself, we just hung 102 points on KANSAS in regulation! That's something that no one has done in 30 years. Not to mention that it's the first game of the year with sooooo many new faces. It's only one game, but color me impressed.

I agree on Anton. I think that as the season goes on he will become a major piece in the offense as well as the defense. His passes are solid and he seems to know where he should be on the court. I think before the end of the season we will have 7 (probably 8) or more different players that have double digit games.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Noooo, that’d be truly heretical.
    Compare college to college.

Much of Stockton's glory is from his NBA career, not to say he wasn't a great Zag too, but coming out of Gonzaga, nobody saw what he became.

I do think that, based on one game, Suggs will end up better than NWG for their one season.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.