Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga Vs Kansas Post game

Been a while since I posted on this board.

Hope all the old timers I have know for the past 20 years are doing well

Came back to talk Suggs. What a talent. Shades of Derrick Rose. Those slashing drives to the basket...the way he protects the ball and uses the backboard. Has the same strength. Suggs is a better shooter but Rose was a better athlete (once in a generation) and had a tighter handle.

Watson needs to embrace the glue guy role. We have enough scoring.

Team is loaded....only weakness I see is possible over reliance on Timme....don't see anyone else on the roster who can score inside.

Our defense was also a bit concerning...that was not a great offensive team in Kansas we faced. We gave up too many open looks.

Would love to see more of Ballo and Zakharov when we start murdering everyone in conference. Need to develop a reliable backup to Timme.

Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and is staying safe.

Quote Originally Posted by deathchina View Post

Came back to talk Suggs. What a talent. Shades of Derrick Rose. Those slashing drives to the basket...the way he protects the ball and uses the backboard. Has the same strength. Suggs is a better shooter but Rose was a better athlete (once in a generation) and had a tighter handle.

Team is loaded....only weakness I see is possible over reliance on Timme....don't see anyone else on the roster who can score inside.

Our defense was also a bit concerning...that was not a great offensive team in Kansas we faced. We gave up too many open looks.

Would love to see more of Ballo and Zakharov when we start murdering everyone in conference. Need to develop a reliable backup to Timme.

Great to see u again, DC.

ESPN has this on TV "Zags, Team of the century"; lol, after 1 game. But, Fun.

Deathchina did You know Suggs has a 50 invertical?
    Last edited by MDABE80; 11-26-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Deathchina did I know Suggs has a 50 invertical?

Good to see you too Abe!

Is that an official measurement?

I can't tell if you are jerking my chain or not...

A lot of the "50 inch verticals" are actually 40 inch verticals. I have a hard time believing anything over 42 because the ALL TIME NBA combine record is 46 and there are only a couple players over 40 inches in each draft class. Maybe it is his football background. All the heavy barbell squats and explosiveness you build for football really helps with your vertical....Personally, the only time in my my own life I was able to dunk a basketball comfortably was after I started doing heavy squats.

Jokes from years ago. Good seeing you

Was going to post that about Watson. We need the glue. He’ll get some big number games I’m sure, but his value to the team should be on D and doing the little things that get us more possessions.

Love how the pieces fit together this year. Suggs, Kispert and Timme are just amazing. But Suggs is on another level, he could be the best player in the NCAA.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Personally, the only time in my my own life I was able to dunk a basketball comfortably was after I started doing heavy squats.
    Mine was when i got my kids a little tykes basket!

From a reporter on Twitter Breanna Green

“Not the happiest of Thanksgivings so far... Those are the best guards we’ll play all year long.”- Bill Self says of Gonzaga

Bill basically just said this Gonzaga team is on the same level of the 2011-2012 or 2014-2015 Kentucky teams. The 2011-2012 Kentucky team won a national championship. The 2014-2015 team went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four.

Self: “I don’t remember the last time we scored 90 points and didn’t when the game.”

Goes on to call Gonzaga the best offensive team in the country.

Here is the video https://twitter.com/brennagreene_/st...529993216?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    According to KenPom, GU's 77.3% 2PT shooting was the worst allowed by a Kansas team in the Bill Self era.

“Not the happiest of Thanksgivings so far... Those are the best guards we’ll play all year long.”- Bill Self says of Gonzaga. ( via Brenna Greene twitter feed )

Which is more impressive:

Jalen Suggs going 9-15 for 24 points

or

Jalen Suggs having 8 assists to 1 turnover ?

I think Suggs will be the first Zag to record a triple double.
    Hard choice...I will go with...he only played 24 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Jokes from years ago. Good seeing you

Lol. Got me Abe. You know, I had to go look up that post. I remembered it as I was reading your comment. That was 11 years ago! Time flies.

I liked what I saw out of Watson for the most part. His defense bothers people and it set the tone early. We have seven or eight guys that want to shoot as much as they possibly can, so I'm okay with one guy being more reserved and opportunistic while bringing defense and rebounding. He does need to take more than 1 shot per game though. It did look like he was tired after awhile and once when going to commercial it looked like he was grimacing and holding his upper thigh or groin area.

My two biggest worries are: (1) whether Ballo will come along fast enough. I think he will. He's obviously done enough in practices to clearly be the #2 center in Few's eyes as Pavel didn't play until garbage time. It was his first action in a real game for us, so I'm going to consider his few bad plays as jitters and bet he ends up being our 14 minutes per game rim protector we need.

And (2) whether Nembhard can play within the system well enough to increase his offensive efficiency. At Florida he had an offensive rating of 105.7 as a freshman and 105.9 as a sophomore. A lot of that was due to relatively poor three point attempts. On occasion he settled for a longer, tougher three pointer rather than working the offense to get something easier. I was watching to see if he settled for long three pointers at Kraziness, and he did. I wasn't that impressed with his performance there because the one big question mark about him in my opinion seemed to be unchanged. I thought he did better today though when I watch it again I'll pay attention to how and where those three three-point attempts were taken. If he gets a boost to his efficiency by being in our system (as an offensive rating of 105 will put him on the bench with Few) and Ballo comes along by March, this squad is so crazy good and talented that ... well, anything is possible.

The thing I have to keep in mind about Watson is he's really only about 1/2 way through his freshman year in terms of games played and a lot of that he was injured. In all actuality, he hasn't played a competitive game since Jan. 11. Plus, from this exact point one year ago tomorrow, he's played in 9 games and a total of 77 minutes in those games because of his shoulder injury. Not sure when he was able to resume basketball activities, but there's a lot of rust and I'm sure some nerves with his shoulder. I think he'll be fine as we move through games the next month or so.

Granted, it’s just one game, but such a fun team to watch.

In particular, I love that Suggs has swagger he can back up, that Timme has both grit and great skill and that Kispert is such a skilled dual threat.

Most of all, However, I’m impressed that Few was able to take this team, with new faces and Covid restrictions, and have them so dialed-in for the first game if the year...against Kansas, no less. We truly have a great one in Few.