Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lady Zag - South Dakota Tournament Thread

Pretty hard to win a game when your opponent shoots 30 more FTs than you do, especially when you miss all of yours.

Three chances to get a rebound after a missed free throw and the Zags can't box out, USC getting the rebound.

USC shows why they are a championship team.

SeaCat, USC had 30 foul shots before the Zags started fouling.

Zags had their chances but failed to capitalize.

Good first game, but good have been better.

Zags fall 79-72.

ZagDad

Zags had that one stolen, my bad, it was the election that was stolen.

36.4% FTs. Amazing they hung with them anyway. Zags shot way better from 3 than from the line.

Better regroup quick, South Dakota will be another good test tomorrow.

South Carolina defeats Gonzaga 79-72...

http://pentagon.sidearmsports.com/si...s/mbball/media

Gonzaga committed too many fouls (32), gave up too many offensive rebounds (15), gave up too many second chance points (18 to 6) and continued their poor free throw shooting (5 of 13)...

Towards the end of the 4th quarter, Zags went 3 minutes without scoring while South Carolina went on a 9-0 run...

79-72 loss against the top team in the nation, who had two games already under their belt. Great effort, but it was winnable and the Zags cost themselves a chance at the victory with horrible free throw shooting. Jill even missed a couple of bunnies. they should rebound well against South Dakota tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    Gimme a break.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavebear33 View Post
    79-72 loss against the top team in the nation, who had two games already under their belt. Great effort, but it was winnable and the Zags cost themselves a chance at the victory with horrible free throw shooting. Jill even missed a couple of bunnies. they should rebound well against South Dakota tomorrow.
    +1
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

First game...

To be called on 32 fouls... and to be ahead with 4 minutes left, must have done a few things right. My son was following the game on ESPN stats and said it looked pretty good per quarter... down two first an other two at half and another two after three and one the last quarter. And again first game and playing twelve players against the number one team in the nation.

A lot to talk about and clean up... and I’m thinking they feel they could have won the game.

It’s a start and enough positives to build on.

Game two tomorrow.

Go Zags!!

No. 21/20 Zags Fall Short Against No. 1/1 South Carolina

Three players score in double-figures in season-opener

South Carolina 79 - Gonzaga 72 Box Score Link

SIOUX FALLS, SD – The No. 21/20 Gonzaga women's basketball fell to No. 1/1 South Carolina 79-72 in its season-opening game at the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, SD.

Gonzaga (0-1) finished with three players in double-figures, led by Jenn Wirth with 16 points off 7-of-9 from the floor to go along with four rebounds. Jill Townsend added 15 points, three rebounds and a career-high seven assists while Cierra Walker added 13 points off 4-of-6 from long range in her Gonzaga debut.

The up-tempo contest featured five lead changes and seven ties, while neither team led by more than eight points. GU shot 52.7 percent from the floor while South Carolina (3-0) shot 48.1 percent. The Gamecocks edged out Gonzaga on the boards with a 36-29 advantage, while Gonzaga dished out 20 assists to USC's 12. The Bulldogs committed 32 fouls on the afternoon, sending USC to the line 41 times, of which the Gamecocks converted 25.

"Definitely something we can work on is how to defend and learning how to contest without fouling," Townsend said. "That's their game plan is drive, draw fouls, get to the rim. We knew that coming in, that that was going to be a key to our success. Unfortunately, we didn't turn that around the way we wanted to."

Gonzaga opened up the scoring in the first quarter off a jumper from Townsend, but South Carolina responded with an 8-2 run to lead 8-4 nearly three minutes into the game. Eight first quarter fouls by the Zags sent the Gamecocks to the line 11 times in the first 10 minutes, but GU offset early foul trouble by shooting 66.7 percent from the floor. With 3:19 left in the opening stanza, USC led by six (19-13), but Gonzaga closed the gap in the final minutes to cut the lead to two, 25-23.

The Bulldogs shooting cooled off in the second as they shot 41.7 percent from the floor, but GU locked down defensively, forcing the Gamecocks to shoot 35.7 percent from the floor while forcing four turnovers. South Carolina led 34-28 with 3:11 remaining, but Gonzaga closed the quarter with a 6-4 advantage to head into half trailing by four, 38-34.

Three minutes into the third period, Kayleigh Truong found Walker for a three tie the game a 42-all. But a 12-point third-quarter effort by South Carolina's Destanni Henderson helped the Gamecocks earn a six-point lead by the end of the quarter, 58-52.

South Carolina held its six-point lead into the fourth period until an 8-2 run in favor of the Zags tied the game at 62-all with 5:41 to go. A layup from Jenn Wirth 20 seconds later gave GU a two-point advantage, and the game saw three lead changes and two ties over the next two minutes. A free throw from Henderson with 3:25 to go put USC on top by one, and the Gamecocks scored eight unanswered points in a two-minute span to take a 74-66 lead with 1:33 to go.

A trey from Walker with 54 seconds remaining cut the lead to four (74-70), but South Carolina made free throws down the stretch to seal the win, 79-72.

The Gamecocks were led by Henderson with 23 points while Zia Cooke added 16 points, four rebounds and four assists. Gonzaga held the reigning National Freshman of the Year Aliyah Boston to 10 points and five rebounds.

"We don't talk about moral victories very often," Head Coach Lisa Fortier said. "We actually say, there are no moral victories, and we believe that. I like that we are tough, and I like that we are not afraid of any opponent…I'm thankful for our veteran group. I think that they showed up big today. Cierra Walker is a veteran—even though she hasn't played for us—Jill, Jenn, LeeAnne and Mel, those guys were ready to play. And they showed the other guys what they needed to do and how we do it."

Gonzaga returns to play Monday, Nov. 30 in its final game of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic against South Dakota at 12 p.m. PT.

Gonzaga Article Link

After a little lunch and listening to the post game press conferences, I can give my review of the game overall.

Going into the game, if someone had said that you would have the lead against the #1 team in the nation with 5:00 minutes to go and you would lose by 7, most Zag fans would have been overjoyed to see such a good result in the first game of the season. However, much like the Stanford game last year, when you have victory in your grasp, you want to win, and our ladies just could not close it out. Darn.

In all honesty, this statement just gets me so p/o'd:

You total discredit all the work our fine ladies did by placing the outcome of the game in the hands of the refs. IMO, while there were some occasional misses by the refs, both ways, by far and away, our lady zags earned the vast majority of their personal fouls. As has been the case over the past several years, when the Lady Zags foul, it is very obvious by hacking the head or arms, hand checks or obvious pushes. Any time we play a very quick player or tall, quick player with a large body, our zags tend to foul. It happened again today. That being said, USC committed more fouls than called, it is just that they were much more discrete in fouling than the zags. A slight push in the back to get the zag off balance or out of step or using their body mass to establish position in the key (which is supposed to be called but rarely is), but nothing very obvious and very difficult for the refs to call. One call that could have impacted the game was the foul on JT with the Zags up by 2 near the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter. USC player brought her elbows across JT's face and smacked her in the chin. Classic flagrant foul which should have given JT 2 foul shots and the Zags the ball. As it was, the refs only gave the zags the ball. Did not understand it at all, there should have been no doubt. The second one is more of a huh type foul. AV was called for a push and after watching USC shove their way throughout the game, to call AV for what appeared to be a phantom push was really?? In any case, Zags up 2 with 5 minutes to go, the officiating did not decide this game (Maybe you should look at the Zags scoring only one basket in the last 4:00+ minutes or maybe the zags inability to box out for the rebound on 3 straight missed foul shots).

The Good:
    - First game of the Season against the #1 team in the country with a top-3 recruiting class and having the lead with 5:00 minutes to go. Nothing to be ashamed of. Yes, it was a moral victory.
    - Shooting percentages overall (52.7%) and from 3-point range (47.4%) were good enough to win.
    - Stayed close in the overall rebound numbers, losing the battle just 36-29.
    - Had more blocks than one of the best blocking teams in the NCAA last year 5-4.
    - Stayed close in the steals (6-4) and turnover (12-15) battles.
    - While we lost each quarter, we did not lose any quarter by more than 2 points.
    - CLF was not outcoached after halftime. She held her own against last year's coach of the year.

The Bad
    - Foul Shooting was very poor at 5-13 (38.5%), but since we only took 13 free throws, it did not really determine the outcome of the game.
    - Lady Zags simply cannot let the opposition shoot 41 free throws and expect to win. Have to learn to play defense without fouling.
    - Zags had considerably fewer offensive rebounds than USC (8-15) but more importantly USC turned the O-boards into more second chance points (18-6).
    - The reason GU lost the game, consider USC outscoring GU on free throws and second chance points 43-11.
    - IMO, the zags had to value the ball and keep the turnovers to 10 or less. Today our lady zags had 15 T/Os, not unexpected, but hard to win if you keep turning the ball over. Consider, if you cut the T/Os in half and with GU shooting over 50%, the zags score 7 more points plus the reduction in points USC does not get. Zags win. Have to value the ball better.

Miscellaneous
    - Destiny Henderson is likely the fastest player, by far, our guards will see this year. Very good experience for Monday's game against South Dakota and for the rest of the season.
    - Boston lived up to the hype. She is the tallest, biggest, fastest post we will see this year and the Lady Zags did a great job on her holding her to 10 points and 5 boards.
    - Lily Scanlon played 16 minutes resulting in 7 points (3-5), 1 rebound, 3 assists with only 1 turnover. Well done Lily, far exceeded my expectations. The stage did not look too big for you today.
    - EH and KG did not play today. I saw a picture with EH with a wrap on her left wrist. Did not look for KG, will have to go back and see if she suited up.
    - LF only saw the floor for a single minute in today's game but somehow managed to acquire 2 personal fouls.

Turning Point(s)
    - In the 4th quarter in the last 5 minutes with the Zags up 2, MK missed an unchallenged lay-up that would have extended the zag lead to 4.
    - K-11 is fouled on a 3-point shot with the Zags down 1. K-11 misses all 3 free throws, USC takes the missed free throw rebound, drives straight to the basket & makes the lay-up + one, JT misses a wide open, unchallenged lay-up. USC gets 3 points and the Zags miss out on 5 points.
    - Perhaps the biggest turning point, JW fouling out with more than 4 minutes to go in the game. Your leading scorer leaves with the game in the balance. Yes her 5th foul was an effort foul fighting for the ball, but she had a couple of ticky-tak fouls in the first half which left her in foul trouble. We have to keep our best players on the court and as a senior, you have to know your foul situation.

Great effort. Not the result we all wanted (particularly with 5 minutes to go) but certainly things to work on.

Press Conference Link at the USC Website. Click the video Link: https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/womens-basketball

Big game tomorrow that we need to win. With a win, we may actually move up in the polls with the great showing against USC and the numerous losses by teams in front of us.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

A little pre-game look ahead to the South Dakota game tomorrow, from the USD website:

MID-MAJOR SHOWDOWN BETWEEN COYOTES, NO. 21 GONZAGA UP NEXT
    Women's Basketball, 11.29.2020
    Britni Smith, USD Sports Information

THE GAME
    South Dakota and No. 21 Gonzaga, two of the top mid-majors in recent years, take the court at 2 p.m. Monday as a part of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic held at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls. While no fans will be permitted in attendance due to precautions involving the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the game will be broadcast by FloHoops (subscription required). Fans can also tune in to the Coyote Sports Network with Carter Woodiel on KVHT 106.3 FM in Yankton/Vermillion or by using the TuneIn app.

FloHoops is a subscription service available in both annual ($150/year) and monthly ($29.99/month) packages. The subscription provides exclusive content such as live events, replays and original programming. To stream to a television, download the FloSports app on AppleTV, Roku or Fire TV, or screen cast to a smart TV.

THE COYOTES
    South Dakota (0-1) opened the season Saturday with No. 1 South Carolina, falling 81-71. The Coyotes were balanced in the win with 18 points from senior Chloe Lamb, a career-high 16 from senior Liv Korngable, a double-double of 13 points and 12 boards from senior Hannah Sjerven and 12 points by freshman Maddie Krull.

The defending Summit champs, who were receiving votes in both preseason national polls, set a school record for scoring offense last season with an average of 81.4 points per game. The average ranked eighth nationally, while USD also ranked in the top-10 nationally for both field-goal percentages. Defensively, the Coyotes held opponents to 55 points last season, which ranked 19th nationally. The Coyotes are 69-0 when holding foes under 60 points during Plitzuweit's tenure.

THE BULLDOGS
    No. 21/20 Gonzaga (0-1) also faced No. 1 South Carolina in its season opener, falling 79-72 on Sunday. Seniors Jenn Wirth and Jill Townsend led the Zags with 16 and 15 points, respectively, while Vanderbilt transfer Cierra Walker added 13.

No. 21 Gonzaga is ranked in the preseason AP poll for the second time in program history. The Bulldogs reached as high as No. 11 last season. Townsend returns as the reigning WCC Player of the Year, making the preseason Naismith trophy and Ann Meyers Drysdale Award watch lists. Gonzaga had the nation's third-best defense in the country a year ago, holding opponents to 51.9 points per game and foes made just 35 percent from the field against the Zags.

THE SERIES
    This marks the first meeting between the Coyotes and the Bulldogs. South Dakota is 4-1 all-time against the West Coast Conference.

ONE LAST THING
    This marks the first time in program history that South Dakota will face back-to-back AP Top 25 teams. What a way to start the season!
    Article Link: https://goyotes.com/news/2020/11/29/...a-up-next.aspx

ZagDad

Just a couple of quick comments...

Defense... 79 points. It will need to get better.

In the last 5 minutes we had a number of our starters with 4 fouls... you play with the fear of getting your 5th. When you are use to playing in a conference where you put a body on someone with no blood no foul, you need to learn to play a different game in other parts of the country...

I’m pleased that they got 12 players in the game... again we are in the OOC schedule and grading play.

Game two...

Go Zags!!

Thanks for your summary, ZagDad. I watched the game on FloHoops and had many of the same thoughts. BTW, I had hoped that FloHoops would have been a better stream than it was last year. However, it was very glitchy and hard to watch at some points. I know it was not my internet connection as I was texting with a friend who has a different internet provider and had the same issue. The announcers were terrible, too. I turned the sound off for a while. They could not correctly identify the players, and the final straw was when they said the USC player got fouled going to the hoop, so count the basket and she would shoot a free throw - the entire time they were talking, the Zags were taking the ball out of bounds following a charging foul.

The free throws were frustrating. I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis going forward. I thought some of the fouls were ticky-tack, on both teams. Let them play. South Carolina was able to control the tempo for the most part. The Zags did not get to run much.

Bright spots - JT looks great. JW and LW did reasonably well inside against Boston, who as you point out is a much bigger body. LW shooting the 3. CW can shoot the 3 and looked good handling the ball for the most part. Other than missing a bunny, I thought MK showed improvement from last year - some really nice moves. AV missed a couple of shots, but I saw some good post defense from her. LS looked very comfortable for a freshman. She will be a good one.

At one point, they said EH was in the game, but I think it was LS. What is the story KG?

Looking forward to seeing how they move forward tomorrow.

Go Zags!

Zags Face (RV) South Dakota Monday

Final game of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic

SIOUX FALLS, SD – The Gonzaga women's basketball team is set to face (RV) South Dakota Monday, Nov. 30 at 12 p.m. PT in the final game of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, SD.

21/20 GONZAGA (0-1) vs. (RV) SOUTH DAKOTA (0-1)
    NOV. 30 | 12 P.M. PT | SIOUX FALLS, SD | SANFORD PENTAGON
    LIVE STREAM **Fee Required | LIVE STATS

THE TIP-OFF
    - Gonzaga faces RV/RV South Dakota in the second and final game of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic Monday, Nov. 30 at 12 p.m. PT.

- This will mark the first meeting in program history between Gonzaga and South Dakota.

- Monday marks the 17th time GU has played on Nov. 30 and the second-straight season. The Zags carry a 9-7 overall record on the date. Last season, GU defeated Middle Tennessee in the second game of the Gulf Coast Showcase, defeating the Lightening 62-50 to advance to the championship game.

- For the second time in program history, the Bulldogs are ranked in the preseason Associated Press Poll. Gonzaga debuted at No. 21 in the AP poll earlier this month. Gonzaga also touts a No. 20 ranking in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll; it marks the third time in history GU has been ranked in the preseason coaches poll and the second-straight season.

- The Bulldogs return three starters and nine letter winners from last season's squad that claimed the Zags' fourth consecutive West Coast Conference regular season title.

- In 2019-20, Gonzaga rose to its highest regular-season national ranking ever, securing a No. 11 AP and No. 10 ranking in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll. Prior to the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Zags were predicted as high as a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament and were expected to host the First and Second Rounds for the first time since the NCAA changed hosting rules for the tournament in 2014-15.

- Gonzaga returns 79.1 percent of its scoring and 79.2 percent of its rebounding from last season.

- Gonzaga returns as one of the top defensive teams in the nation from a season ago. In 2019-20, the Bulldogs ranked third in the nation in scoring defense, limiting opponents to 51.9 points per game.

- The Bulldogs won 28 games last season, including a 17-1 mark in WCC play to tie their own record for wins in a conference season. It was the fourth-straight 25+ win season and 12th 25+ win season in the last 13 seasons.

SERIES NOTES
    - This will be the first meeting all-time between Gonzaga and South Dakota.

- The Bulldogs carry a 4-4 record against current Summit League members.

- The last time the Zags faced an opponent out of the Summit League was on Dec. 21, 2017 when they defeated Western Illinois 80-65.

SCOUTING THE COYOTES
    - South Dakota is currently receiving votes in both the Associated Press and USA Today/WBCA Coaches Polls. Last season, USD finished ranked #17/11, respectively.

- The Coyotes return 10 letter winners and three starters from last season's squad that finished 30-2 overall with a 16-0 mark in conference play. USD claimed both the regular season and Summit League tournament titles, and it was poised for its second-straight NCAA Tournament prior to the cancelation of the tournament due to COVID-19.

- South Dakota was selected this season to repeat as Summit League champions.

- Senior forward Hannah Sjerven was selected as the Summit League Preseason Player of the Year.
    Saturday against South Carolina, Sjerven finished with 13 points, 12 rebounds, three steals, three blocks and two assists. Fellow senior Chloe Lamb was also selected to the preseason first team; Lamb finished with 18 points, four rebounds and two assists against USC.

- Sjerven is also the reigning Summit League Defensive Player of the Year. The 6-foot-3 forward boasts a 6-foot-5 wingspan and led the Yotes in blocked shots a year ago with 63.

- In their only game of the season thus far, the Coyotes battled South Carolina, falling 81-71 on Saturday, Nov. 28. Four players finished in double figures, led by Lamb with 18. The Yotes shot 43 percent from the floor but struggled from long range, hitting 2-of-16 attempts to shoot 12.5 percent. South Dakota dished out 15 assists and committed just eight turnovers in the loss.

SHARING THE ROCK
    Gonzaga opened the season with 20 assists, with seven players registering at least one assist and four players dishing out three or more. Townsend led the charge with a career-high seven assists, besting her previous mark of five. Last season, Gonzaga recorded 20 assists on five different occasions, dishing out a season-high 25 in an 80-45 win over Texas Southern. The Bulldogs finished with at least 15 assists in 19 games a season ago.

PICKING UP WHERE THEY LEFT OFF
    GU's strong core of senior returners continued on from where they left off last season. The Bulldogs three returning starters (Jenn Wirth, LeeAnne Wirth and Jill Townsend) combined for 38 of GU's 72 points and 14 of the Zags 29 total rebounds. The Wirth twins and Townsend combined to shoot 16-of-28 from the floor (57.1 percent) and nine of GU's 20 assists.

WALKER MAKES A SPLASH
    Cierra Walker lived up to the hype as an outside shooter as the redshirt senior hit 4-of-6 attempts from long range in her Zag debut. The Vanderbilt transfer added seven rebounds to tie for game-high honors.

Gonzaga Article Link

Gonzaga Women's Basketball
    @ZagWBB

Check out a few highlights from our season
    opener ��Sparkles #UnitedWeZag

https://twitter.com/i/status/1333248863138959360
    Gonzaga WBB Twitter Account Link

Steve Myklebust did the best he could doing the play by play on KJRB. Apparently he was not allowed to travel with the team for the season opening games and was doing the broadcast watching FloHoops. You could tell he was struggling at times identifying players, and every so often, as has been mentioned, the screen froze on him. I've struggled in the past to get a good reception for games with my radio, and found KJRB on-line at https://mytuner-radio.com/radio/kjrb...941-fm-428178/ . It came in loud and clear all game long. If you can't connect through that link, just google KJRB and you should be able to find the broadcast. Thanks again to Steve, who always does a great job.

Yeah, my live stream from flohoops was horrible today with frequent freezes for relatively long periods of time. Almost made me wish for the WCCsports live stream, almost.

When the announcers mentioned USC willing to play two teams from the West Coast, I figured we were in for quite a ride.

Only about 14 hours until game time.

I have to visit a construction site just before game time, so I am trying to reschedule so I don't miss the first half.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Turkey day hangover.

Start the game with a turnover, on the SDs trip up the court K-11 goes to provide help defense, falls down and leaves her player wide open for a lay-up. JW drives to the hoop, gets fouled and misses the first free throw. LW with two bad air balls from the key.

5 minutes in, Lady Zags losing 9-4 and already 4 turnovers leading to 6 points.

Need that cup of coffee ladies,

ZagDad

South Dakota on a 13-0 run...

Honestly, this is getting embarrassing.

Zags can't shoot, standing around on offense, leaving coyotes wide open.

Zags down 17-4, with SD on a 15-0 run. Zags shooting 1-10 so far with 6 turnovers in the first quarter.

ZagDad

After the 1st quarter, Zags trail 18-6...Gonzaga already with 6 TOs...

Zags shooting 2 for 13 from the field...

Halfway thru the 2nd quarter Zags down 25-9.

Zags have 9 turnovers 4 by K-11.

JW already has 2 fouls, taking a seat.

Zags giving up wide open 7-10 foot jumpers to try and force the ball inside the result in turnovers.

Zags fouling in every conceivable fashion.

Not a good day (so far) to be a Lady Zag fan.

ZagDad