Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the season actually started today!

Default the season actually started today!

Quite a few games postponed or cancelled, but a handful were actually played. I know GU didn't play so some of you aren't interested. I won't run thru all the results. There are several WCC teams playing. Portland is about to beat Seattle U., LMU got smacked by USC by 30 points. BYU is playing LSU on Friday, who should be decent, and Washington on Saturday who will probably be terrible.

Thanks SeaCat.

So far today, every team ranked above the Lady Zags has won easily with the closest game being 16 points (Texas A&M over Lamar). The lady zags Monday opponent, South Carolina won today by a score of 119 to 38 over Charleston. Stanford won 108 - 40 over Cal Poly. Baylor, UCLA and Ohio State are top-25 ranked teams still having to play tonight.

For those fans of Washington State HS Wbb, Hailey Van Lith of Cashmere did start for the 5th ranked Louisville Cardinals and had a pretty good stat line for her first D-1 collegiate game. She played 28 minutes (2nd most of the starters), going 6-12 (50%) from the field resulting in 13 points. She gathered 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 assist and 1 block with 2 turnovers.

For the WCC Crowd:

LMU gets bounced by 30 by USC 85-55.
    Portland needed a big 4th quarter to pull away from Seattle U to win 82-70.
    USF is coming back in the 4th quarter and is trying to make a game of it. USF is trailing UC Davis 63-62 with just over 8:00 minutes to go in the 4th.
    St. Marys vs VCU starts at 6:30 tonight.
    Santa Clara vs CSU Bakersfield has been canceled.
    Pepperdine vs CSU Northridge has been canceled.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 11-25-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Stanford won decisively, but not quite by that margin. They scored 108, not 198. Spokane's own Lexie Hull led them w/ 19 and went 4-5 behind the arc.

The really bad news for LMU is that USC's best player (Pili) didn't even play today, Trojans only had 7 available players apparently?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Stanford won decisively, but not quite by that margin. They scored 108, not 198.
    Now you want me to spell check my work?!?!

USF falls to UC Davis 82-75.

ZagDad

Stanford won decisively, but not quite by that margin. They scored 108, not 198. Spokane's own Lexie Hull led them w/ 19 and went 4-5 behind the arc.

The really bad news for LMU is that USC's best player (Pili) didn't even play today, Trojans only had 7 available players apparently?
    The good news for LMU is that three of our best players (Aquira DeCosta, Chelsey Gipson and Jasmine Jones) did not suit up for various reasons but should be ready to go by the time conference play starts. We were (very) short as well.

Looking forward to another fun season of women's college basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    The good news for LMU is that three of our best players (Aquira DeCosta, Chelsey Gipson and Jasmine Jones) did not suit up for various reasons but should be ready to go by the time conference play starts. We were (very) short as well.

Ah, that more than offsets USC's players being out. Sorry I didn't pick up on that. Best wishes getting all your players back on the floor.

Your friends Missouri St. walloped Florida-Gulf Coast today. I don't know about this year, normally that would be a matchup of a couple of top mid majors. 74-49 final.

Hope Chelsey stays healthy Keith. Good to see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Hope Chelsey stays healthy Keith. Good to see your post.
    +1

Welcome back Keith.

I'll give my wishes and prayers for Chelsey's health.

Ohio knocks off #22 Notre Dame 86-85.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 11-27-2020 at 09:38 PM.

BYU beat LSU fairly handily. Sounds like Gonzalez had a good game in her return after missing all of last season.

SMC lost to Stephen F. Austin to fall to 0-2.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Welcome back Keith.

I'll my wish and prayers for Chelsey's health.

Ohio knocks off #22 Notre Dame 86-85.

ZagDad
    Thanks Zag fans. You folks were so great our last trip out. I wish we were coming out again this year. We've kinda made it an annual trip for us staying with the same Airbnb host, David in the beautiful city of Spokane, WA.

Chels unfortunately has been plagued by (rather serious) injuries for a lot of her college career but she's doing really well now and looking forward to pulling it all together for her senior year.

Wishing all your ladies health and safety as they hit the road.

BYU beat LSU fairly handily. Sounds like Gonzalez had a good game in her return after missing all of last season.

SMC lost to Stephen F. Austin to fall to 0-2.
    Yes, Gonzales had quite the game. 30 points on 11-14 overall and 6-7 from 3, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals. On the debit side of the ledger she had 10 turnovers. You have to put someone in her face or she will kill you.

Paisley Johnson-Harding scored 13 points and was the only other BYU player in double figures. What was interesting was that Johnson-Harding did not start but ended up playing 34 minutes while Gonzales played all 40 minutes and Gustin played 38 minutes. You think if you were winning by 16, you would take the opportunity to play some of your second string players to get them some experience and reduce the potential for injury for your stars.

Hamson only played 10 minutes and somehow earned 4 personal fouls.

You think LSU could have figured out who was kicking their behind and made somebody else beat you.

Any win by a WCC team over a P-5 conference team makes for a good day.

ZagDad

Yeah, I understated Gonzales' performance. That's much better than "good."

BYU gets another shot at a P5 team today in Washington, I fully expect the Cougs to win.

Um...anyone hoping for Oregon to crash and burn after Ionescu, Hebard and Sabally left may be sorely disappointed. It's only Seattle U., but the Ducks are just annihilating them. Put up 71 points at halftime. Length, depth, lots of interchangeable parts.

South Dakota St. about to knock off a ranked Iowa St. team.

Missouri St. overcame a double digit deficit and is on the verge of beating Maryland. Up 9 w/ a minute left.

DePaul lost by 2 in a shootout w/ Texas A&M 93-91.

81-72 final, Missouri St. Good job Bears!

Purchased a streaming ticket to BYU vs Washington ($10) at Southpoint in Vegas. Shaylee Gonsales is fun to watch.

Umm...sorry I misled everybody. Washington is clobbering BYU. 28 point lead late in Q4. I think BYU needs to quit playing Pac 12 schools. 0-4 last year, continuing the losing streak this year. And these aren't top tier Pac 12 schools they're losing to.

edit--77-48 final. Holy cow, ouch BYU.

Umm...sorry I misled everybody. Washington is clobbering BYU. 28 point lead late in Q4. I think BYU needs to quit playing Pac 12 schools. 0-4 last year, continuing the losing streak this year. And these aren't top tier Pac 12 schools they're losing to.

Yep, but what does that say about LSU Wbb?

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yep, but what does that say about LSU Wbb?

ZagDad
    Nothing good. They got thumped by West Virginia today. I think their fans are about done w/ their coach at this point. She left UCLA with a fairly good reputation but stayed at LSU long enough to show she's not that great.

Wow. Gonzales totally shut down. Hamson continues to not have nearly the positive impact of the past.

Wow. Gonzales totally shut down. Hamson continues to not have nearly the positive impact of the past.

I didn't get to watch, just followed the game tracker. Was it a team defensive effort, or did they have a designated stopper on Gonzales? Harding (formerly Johnson) also had a rough outing. Those 2 were a combined 4-27 from the floor and 3-15 behind the arc.

I didn't get to watch, just followed the game tracker. Was it a team defensive effort, or did they have a designated stopper on Gonzales? Harding (formerly Johnson) also had a rough outing. Those 2 were a combined 4-27 from the floor and 3-15 behind the arc.
    This after those two scored 43 points on 16-25 overall and 9-12 from 3-point land against LSU.

Last year BYU was very inconsistent and it looks like they have started this year the same way.

ZagDad