Thread: A note about Gonzaga as the season gets started

Default A note about Gonzaga as the season gets started

It's been a long, long time since these guys have played in organized basketball games whose outcome really matters to fans. I realize there won't be fans in the gym, but the players know darn well what the expectations are and intense Zag fans are. They know they are #1. The Jayhawks are a blueblood. KU doesn't have as much talent across the roster as GU does, but they have two great wings and a very capable big man. Expect some unexpected things to occur as this season move along. In other words, if KU beats GU, don't believe the season is finished. And don't be surprised if GU beats KU but drops one to Auburn that GU is in trouble. At any time a game could be cancelled due to COVID-19. Few has never had a PG like Suggs before, and he plays the position that Few values the most: point guard. Expectations are high, but keep some perspective. The schedule is tough, and there are fewer rest days than Gonzaga has ever seen during the regular season.

Ok, but the playing field is as even as a billiards table. Carry on. Go Zags.

I'm sure the Zags know they will be on national network TV for two days in a row. That is quite an honor. Yes, the Cowboys game on FOX will draw more eyeballs, but does that matter to those of us here?

Zags need to send a statement right out of the gate, and not let up the gas. Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm sure the Zags know they will be on national network TV for two days in a row. That is quite an honor. Yes, the Cowboys game on FOX will draw more eyeballs, but does that matter to those of us here?
    I was thinking Detroit was playing at the same time Gonzaga was. Cowboys play at 1:30 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    I was thinking Detroit was playing at the same time Gonzaga was. Cowboys play at 1:30 pm.
    Zags are lead in to the Cowboys game. The Detroit game starts an hour before the Zags on a different channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take back what I said about Auburn. GU has no excuse to lose that game. They have no excuse to not beat the Tigers by double digits.

I just do not know what to think about this season with all these games being cancelled. It's like the NCAA is determined to pull off the NCAA tournament no matter what because they lost a ton of bread last season with cancelling March Madness. If regular season games have to be cancelled and team's resumes compromised, so long as there is a tournament....all is a party with CBS/Turner.

What I do know is that GU has perimeter depth that is just crazy. How often is your backup PG a former top 30 recruit who started every game at Florida and was wanted by GU coming out of HS?? Dom Harris could start for some top 25 teams, and he's gonna have issues seeing meaningful PT.

Yes, I agree, the tourney in March means everything to CBS / Turner. I know full well the economics of sports. The Zags will be there. This team is loaded. Anything less than a F4 will be a letdown.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Zags are lead in to the Cowboys game. The Detroit game starts an hour before the Zags on a different channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope Hunter and Chet tuned in to watch! This was great leading up to the NFL game as it will definitely draw more eyeballs. The benefit to these early games is so much of the country can tune in, especially leading up to an NFL game. Lots of new viewers to see the Zags! And they got a treat today!!

Especially Hunter Sallis because Kansas {and Kentucky} are considered by a lot of evaluators as being the favorites for Hunter. I hope today's win increases GU's possibility of landing Hunter. I have always liked the idea (however unrealistic it may be) of landing one "one and done" player per class who fits into the Gonzaga system, is coachable, has good values and ethics, and who values winning more than stroking his ego. Not all of these guys are egomaniacs. I would never want to be a one and done machine like Kentucky (which is never gonna happen at Gonzaga anyway) because I think having experience is very important, even if that experience creates a NBA player.

Although it's early on in the season, I think Jalen Suggs has already proven that landing a player like him - even if it is just one guy per class - doesn't mean that Gonzaga has compromised its values. He gives you a guy that you need to compete for titles. I will never forget when Marvin Williams chose UNC. He was the best player on the team, even though he was a backup. Despite being a backup, Marvin was always in there making the big plays, and often unselfish ones. He was especially important to land because UNC that year had some real headcases on that team. But he was just that perfect, magical missing piece.

This exposure is not just good for the recruits we know about currently, but perhaps ones we haven't heard much about. Hunter Sallis will be a tough one to nab but we are making his decision a tough one no question.
    America's Team!