Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66

Thread: Nembhard is cleared to play this year

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Whoa! What!?!?

    My head just exploded. This is huge news. Who ends up as the starting PG???
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I wouldn’t imagine rotations are really set at this point anyway. I do think they stick with the expected starting five initially at least


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guys can earn minutes and rotations get tweaked for sure throughout the season but my point is that 48 hrs before taking court for nationally televised game vs Kansas the coaches and players alike surely have some shared understanding of what the rotation is gonna be. Was Nembhard being factored in all along or is this taking team by surprise too?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Guys can earn minutes and rotations get tweaked for sure throughout the season but my point is that 48 hrs before taking court for nationally televised game vs Kansas the coaches and players alike surely have some shared understanding of what the rotation is gonna be. Was Nembhard being factored in all along or is this taking team by surprise too?
    Hopefully Few will post in here shortly.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,806

    Default

    I was thinking we have a gluttony!!! of guards but not so much the front court. If this going to happen, I wonder who plays....probably the best combination. Hard to chose from such talent.....Few decides. smells like 2 guard or 3 guard offense. We should be so lucky! Its amazing news. I wonder if we might snag a big using this pathway..

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    This season doesn’t count for eligibility so he’d still have the option to play two more years if he chose. I just verified this was extended to winter sports for 2020-21 season. No redshirts or sit outs needed.
    That's my understanding. Getting this waiver should make it possible for us to have Nembhard for up to 3 seasons on the court instead of 2, assuming he would even stay that long. The downside is that he could have an outstanding year and leave with Cook/Suggs/Ayayi at the end of the season, and who would play point in 2021-22??

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    That's my understanding. Getting this waiver should make it possible for us to have Nembhard for up to 3 seasons on the court instead of 2, assuming he would even stay that long. The downside is that he could have an outstanding year and leave with Cook/Suggs/Ayayi at the end of the season, and who would play point in 2021-22??
    something tells me if we win the championship and all those guys leave, there would be a line of talented pgs waiting to start at pg for the defending champs

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    768

    Default

    He was so good at Kraziness. This really adds to the depth of the team. SO excited!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    I thought he was the X factor at krazyness. This just made our defense outstanding. Is he also our best shooting guard?
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    The last 2 PG lineup turned out pretty good, I’d say. This is pretty cool news. Few already talked about more small ball. This seems to solidify that. This team will be so hard to scout and prepare for.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    They must have known there was a good chance for this waiver to be approved if they had him travel with the team.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    4,067

    Default

    Loved what I saw of Andrew at Kraziness. And I watched quite a few Florida games the past two seasons thinking of Andrew as one who got away!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Loved what I saw of Andrew at Kraziness. And I watched quite a few Florida games the past two seasons thinking of Andrew as one who got away!
    +1

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,965

    Default



    Wow, crazy good news!

    Now we have a tourney!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    910

    Default

    One thing I didn't immediately think of, if Andrew plays this year he probably won't be playing again next year. If that's the case we could realistically lose our top 4 guards in one year. Suggs, Nembhard, and Ayayi all head to the draft or overseas to get paid, and Cook (senior) graduates and does the same.

    I know that they have a choice to come back next year, but why would any of them make that decision?

    Would make our recruiting for a PG next year all that more important. We'll need somebody to play alongside Harris, and probably another to back them up.

    I wouldn't change it though, I'd good with a possible rebuilding year next season for a chance at a Natty this season.

    But man next year is looking mighty thin at the guard spot.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    One thing I didn't immediately think of, if Andrew plays this year he probably won't be playing again next year. If that's the case we could realistically lose our top 4 guards in one year. Suggs, Nembhard, and Ayayi all head to the draft or overseas to get paid, and Cook (senior) graduates and does the same.

    I know that they have a choice to come back next year, but why would any of them make that decision?

    Would make our recruiting for a PG next year all that more important. We'll need somebody to play alongside Harris, and probably another to back them up.

    I wouldn't change it though, I'd good with a possible rebuilding year next season for a chance at a Natty this season.

    But man next year is looking mighty thin at the guard spot.
    I get the sentiment, but I think you are overthinking it.

    While there have been Zags going to the pros more often than usual in the past years, the only teams that have had 3-4 guards/wings go pro in the past few years that i can recall in a season are Kentucky, Villanova and Virginia. Kentucky had multiple AA, top 5 recruits that were lottery picks before they stepped on campus. They were as good as gone before the season even started. Nova and Virginia both lost multiple guards after WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in 2019 and 2018.

    The only way Nembhard, Ayayi, Suggs and Kispert all leave would be if we win a national championship and their stocks go soaring. Right now Kispert is gone (SR) and Suggs (lottery pick). Ayayi is a fringe second rounder and AN is not even on draft boards. If them all declaring means we have won our first championship, give me that deal 10/10 times. Otherwise I do not see your scenario happening at all. Having guards who dont even start make the leap to the pros is very uncommon.

    Harris will be back next year for sure. We are still in the hunt for Sallis as well. A grad transfer guard is a likelihood always these years. And if we are defending champs-- I think we are missing the point that everyone will want to be a starter or have starter minutes on the defending champions roster.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I get the sentiment, but I think you are overthinking it.

    While there have been Zags going to the pros more often than usual in the past years, the only teams that have had 3-4 guards/wings go pro in the past few years that i can recall in a season are Kentucky, Villanova and Virginia. Kentucky had multiple AA, top 5 recruits that were lottery picks before they stepped on campus. They were as good as gone before the season even started. Nova and Virginia both lost multiple guards after WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in 2019 and 2018.

    The only way Nembhard, Ayayi, Suggs and Kispert all leave would be if we win a national championship and their stocks go soaring. Right now Kispert is gone (SR) and Suggs (lottery pick). Ayayi is a fringe second rounder and AN is not even on draft boards. If them all declaring means we have won our first championship, give me that deal 10/10 times. Otherwise I do not see your scenario happening at all. Having guards who dont even start make the leap to the pros is very uncommon.

    Harris will be back next year for sure. We are still in the hunt for Sallis as well. A grad transfer guard is a likelihood always these years. And if we are defending champs-- I think we are missing the point that everyone will want to be a starter or have starter minutes on the defending champions roster.
    True, to a point. With the lure of earning lots of money overseas that is a draw as well. Especially for older players. That clock starts ticking.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    True, to a point. With the lure of earning lots of money overseas that is a draw as well. Especially for older players. That clock starts ticking.
    Petrusevs and norvells are the outliers not the norms

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Suburb
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Zags has reached another level with Nembhard playing this year, can we dare to say....Undefeated Season, if there is a full season?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    I don’t think undefeated is something that is likely, just with the initial run of the season. However, undefeated in league should be very doable, which isn’t easy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Timme
    Suggs
    Nembhard
    Watson
    Harris
    Ballo.
    ...on and on...

    All players I expect to succeed and entertain. And WIN, That's why I'm watching, I expect they'll deliver on their talent and ambition

  21. #46
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Timme
    Suggs
    Nembhard
    Watson
    Harris
    Ballo.
    ...on and on...

    All players I expect to succeed and entertain. And WIN, That's why I'm watching, I expect they'll deliver on their talent and ambition
    Cook


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Zags has reached another level with Nembhard playing this year, can we dare to say....Undefeated Season, if there is a full season?
    Favored in every game? Probably
    But undefeated is so hard to do, physically, emotionally and mathematically.

    Kentucky’s 2015 squad had 9 future NBA players and couldn’t pull it off.

    Aaron Harrison 2 SO G NBA
    Karl-Anthony Towns 12 FR F NBA
    Devin Booker 1 FR G NBA
    Andrew Harrison 5 SO G NBA
    Willie Cauley-Stein 15 JR F NBA
    Trey Lyles 41 FR F NBA
    Dakari Johnson 44 SO C NBA
    Tyler Ulis 3 FR G. NBA
    Marcus Lee 00 SO F
    Alex Poythress 22 JR F NBA

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Favored in every game? Probably
    But undefeated is so hard to do, physically, emotionally and mathematically.
    ESPN has Kansas favored.

    I doubt they knew about Nembhard’s eligibility, but wonder if it matters?

    When it comes down to winning a title, the difference between a great Gonzaga roster and a great Kentucky roster could be team culture and chemistry.



    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401260001
    Parlez-vous français?

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    I see us with three guards, kispert, and a big man.
    villanova was nat'l championship team with 5 players playing like wings, right? no big plant at center

  25. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,734

    Default

    Do all NCAA basketball players get an extra year of eligibility this season due to the "C" word?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •