Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nembhard is cleared to play this year

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Do all NCAA basketball players get an extra year of eligibility this season due to the "C" word?
    Yes
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

A good problem to have. Lineups, pshhhhaw. The team is loaded, but we have to deal with all this virological BS. I'm at least happy we'll probably get through the first week (due to incubation time), and my eyeballs will be glued to the TV. The second week, well, we'll either be scrambling for an opponent or it's back to Spokane. Play like it's March. Because it might be.

Seems like the team is taking great care. Clearly, other teams aren't. Hoping for the best.

A very happy Thanksgiving to all of Zag Nation. Stay home everyone...careless contact might mean bad outcomes in December. Stay safe!

Wait wait wait whaaaaaaat?!?!?

Can’t miss the ‘Boards for even a day. This is beyond huge. This frees up Suggs to play the “two” in a double point guard lineup. How can the number one team get any better? This is how.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm about to wet myself, I am so excited. I really liked what I saw of him on Nov 12th. This just makes our team that much deeper. GO ZAGS !!!
    I already did!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    ESPN has Kansas favored.

I doubt they knew about Nembhard’s eligibility, but wonder if it matters?

When it comes down to winning a title, the difference between a great Gonzaga roster and a great Kentucky roster could be team culture and chemistry.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401260001
    Vegas has Zags -4 the last I looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Vegas has Zags -4 the last I looked.

Looks like it moved to -5.5

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great interview with Katz.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    One thing I didn't immediately think of, if Andrew plays this year he probably won't be playing again next year. If that's the case we could realistically lose our top 4 guards in one year. Suggs, Nembhard, and Ayayi all head to the draft or overseas to get paid, and Cook (senior) graduates and does the same.

I know that they have a choice to come back next year, but why would any of them make that decision?

Would make our recruiting for a PG next year all that more important. We'll need somebody to play alongside Harris, and probably another to back them up.

I wouldn't change it though, I'd good with a possible rebuilding year next season for a chance at a Natty this season.

But man next year is looking mighty thin at the guard spot.
    Chet

I have mixed feelings about this. While Andrew has talent, they already have a great backup for Suggs in Cook. Cook provides experience and an elite point of attack defender. Joel has a great backup in Harris. Andrew needs a redshirt year to prepare him for taking over for Suggs. That is going to be a massive responsibility. The only thing I can think of is that Andrew has seen how special this year's GU team is, and that he doesn't want to miss out on being a possible title winner.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. While Andrew has talent, they already have a great backup for Suggs in Cook. Cook provides experience and an elite point of attack defender. Joel has a great backup in Harris. Andrew needs a redshirt year to prepare him for taking over for Suggs. That is going to be a massive responsibility. The only thing I can think of is that Andrew has seen how special this year's GU team is, and that he doesn't want to miss out on being a possible title winner.
    That and maybe another great guard coming. Does he have two years of eligibility left? He could still return.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hear what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s even close between who the better player is right now between Nembhard and Harris. With no redshirts or loss of eligibility this year, I’d think playing this year would only help Andrew for next year.

I hear. ya CDC and feel bad for both Cook and Harris insofar as they are the ones most likely to lose minutes w Nembhard now playing. Having said that, Zags pride themselves on their team first culture. Everyone is all in on championship or bust goal for this season so gotta bring all your ammunition. Hope the team chemistry remains one of Zags’ biggest strengths; as long as it does, this is a good move for the team.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I agree with all you wrote, and I suspect Andrew would as well if asked. However, the risk of injury to Suggs or Cook always exists, and it would be foolish to leave Coach staring down the bench at Andrew later this season wishing Andrew was available to help.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I guess you have to view it from Few's perspective. How often do you get a team like this? He's got to roll the dice, and even though Harris is good enough to start on some top 25 teams, Few wanted Nembhard out of HS. He was a top 30 player that Few wanted. He started every game for the Gators in his 2 years there. He will only get better because of all the perimeter talent around him. It is a nice problem to have, although a couple of his shot choices today were not so good.

I am becoming more and more of a believer that Watson could be the key player in GU winning the title or not. Timme has got to get more offensive and defensive help. GU could struggle a lot with Iowa's slew of talented big guys, for instance, if Watson only scores 2 pts. The perimeter lineup is not gonna work against every team. Kansas is talented, but they are not the biggest team.

I agree with CDC. But I think as the season goes on both Watson and Ballo will get much better and will be there by March. Both have the talent and can help in different ways.