Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Am I reading this right? All of the games will be played in Atlanta? Does that mean that the entire first round, 32 games, will be played in Atlanta> And then the 16 second round games too? And so on and so forth? That seems strange.

Go Zags!!!
    Indianapolis, not Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This was literally the only solution. And depending on how the winter goes (not off to a good start, to say the least), we can only hope that it actually does go like this as planned.

One hope is that the planned regions, Spokane, etc. simply gets backed up a year. They book these years in advance, back everything up one year. It seems grossly unfair to take away what everyone had planned for this coming year. Promise it next year - always hope, and then move back from there.

The NCAA is notorious for coming up with ridiculous decisions/solutions. This seems like the most sensible, and only possible way it could work. Build the bubble early. And keep it throughout.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

In Indy there is Lucas Oil Stadium, Hinkle Fieldhouse, the arena where the Pacers play, and the state fairgrounds arena. From what I hear, it's likely they will not have all of the first round games in Indy. Some games will be played in West Lafayette (Purdue), Bloomington (Indiana), etc. The idea is keep it in one region so that you don't have teams who played their first two games in San Jose coming into Brooklyn for the 2nd weekend.

During one of the Big Ten game broadcasts yesterday, Andy Katz said the NCAA would be making a major announcement today (1/4/21) regarding the ongoing planning, logistics, and sites for the NCAA basketball tournament. As Katz works for the NCAA-- among his other jobs -- I'm hopeful we'll hear some good news about March Madness.

Once the word is out, I'll post info ( story links, etc. ) in this thread rather than starting a new one.

Your wish is my command:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-ne...ll-tournament/

(sorry for the bad joke)
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

NCAA Press Release: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...l-championship

The NCAA is partnering with a local health provider to administer COVID-19 testing within the controlled environment for players, coaching staffs, administrators and officials. The Marion County Health Department has approved medical protocols shared by the NCAA and will continue collaborating with the NCAA leading up to and during the championship.

The tournament will be hosted by Ball State, Butler, the Horizon League, Indiana, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and Purdue, which are lending their facilities and staffs to assist with tournament operations. The Indiana Convention Center will be used as a practice facility, with multiple courts set up inside the venue. Marriott properties, an official NCAA corporate partner, will house most of the tournament teams. The properties are connected to the convention center via skywalks and within a controlled environment. All teams will be housed on dedicated hotel floors, with physically distanced meeting and dining rooms, as well as secure transportation to and from competition venues.

Games will be played on two courts inside Lucas Oil Stadium, as well as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Only one game at a time will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Honestly I think they ought to do this every year. Why not make Indianapolis the center of the college basketball world for three weeks? I understand the advantages of having the pods for the higher seeded teams, but having the tournament would be awesome for the city.

fans would be nice

The NCAA is closely monitoring the ongoing pandemic and will continue to work with local officials to determine the feasibility of having fans attend games at any of the venues, though a limited number of family members of each participating team’s student-athletes and coaches will be permitted to attend their team’s games. Details pertaining to the possible allocation of other tickets will be finalized later, as will any decision about fan events.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Honestly I think they ought to do this every year. Why not make Indianapolis the center of the college basketball world for three weeks? I understand the advantages of having the pods for the higher seeded teams, but having the tournament would be awesome for the city.
    It would have been awesome for 13 cities (Spokane included) last year. It should be awesome for 13 cities next year. No reason to make it an Indiana-centric event year after year. What has Indiana done to deserve the largesse ? Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Not awesome for other cities or fans. I can find a site within a short days drive at least every other year, I dont want to travel over 1/2 way across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Not awesome for other cities or fans. I can find a site within a short days drive at least every other year, I dont want to travel over 1/2 way across the country.
    +1, even the Super Bowl gets rotated around the country.

I think they should bump it back a couple weeks, let everyone get on site and into a bubble environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I think they should bump it back a couple weeks, let everyone get on site and into a bubble environment.
    ideally yes, but quarantining/housing and trying to entertain 68 teams for two weeks would be logistical nightmare and cost a pretty penny...

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    ideally yes, but quarantining/housing and trying to entertain 68 teams for two weeks would be logistical nightmare and cost a pretty penny...
    Pretty pennies the NCAA has, WWZ.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    The cost wouldn't be that great. After the first weekend, you're down to 16 teams. No doubt you'll need plenty of volunteers for that first weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    The cost wouldn't be that great. After the first weekend, you're down to 16 teams. No doubt you'll need plenty of volunteers for that first weekend.
    I can’t see it costing any more than doing it in 13 cities like a regular tournament
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I can’t see it costing any more than doing it in 13 cities like a regular tournament
    Good point.

I think he was referring to KKA's idea of bringing everyone in 2 weeks early to bubble. They'd be there 2 weeks before games even started. You have teams there 5 weeks by the final four. Long time for non-pros to be forced to bubble.

Good point , I hadn’t considered that.

I think he was referring to KKA's idea of bringing everyone in 2 weeks early to bubble. They'd be there 2 weeks before games even started. You have teams there 5 weeks by the final four. Long time for non-pros to be forced to bubble.
    Would they keep the same Th-Su format?

If they do, 5 weeks would not be too long when you know you're going to be in the FF/NC
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm hearing now that it is official. The road to Indy starts in Indy. C'mon fans, do we really want our season to be derailed (again)? This is the best solution.
    Told you guys two days ago on this board that this was happening but it looks like the post was deleted for some reason.Tourney will likely be pared down to 32 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Told you guys two days ago on this board that this was happening but it looks like the post was deleted for some reason.Tourney will likely be pared down to 32 teams.
    Won’t be paired down and will be original number. I agree with earlier post for the foreseeable future, this should be model but rotate to similar metros that can accommodate. I do have serious concerns about trying to maintain matchups in the early going and will be less of a problem as tourney progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Yeah. I don't think it's ideal. And may not be any safer, honestly.

The one thing we know, money shouldn't be an issue. The NCAA needs this tournament so badly that to go without, or to have it become a joke might kill off the NCAA altogether and the power 5 could do what they've wanted to do forever.

The NCAA probably has the money, or at probably at least break-even this year. Almost certain. But if they don't, they need to borrow money to do it bc their lives are on the line IMO, they cannot sustain another loss of tournament or a joke of one.

COVID numbers are going up skyward all over the country and will be 3x worse at the end of the month. Perhaps there is a way to morally buy all the vaccine they need, I don't know. I just know that they cannot afford to not do this perfectly, and I'm not sure it can be done perfectly.

The NHL didn't have near the cases in the community (not even close) when they pulled off their bubble. The NBA spent far more money than the NCAA had and did it as well as possible and it turned out well, but they also got it just in a lull of cases, look on the calendar.

Look at what's happened this fall already when teams were scheduled all over the place and now dump 2 -3x more cases on it. The pressure is enormous and it sounds to me like they know that. Money should be the last thing they're worried about in terms of investing. I'm sure it'll be world class, perhaps the most elite done so far. It'll probably work bc of that. But there's enormous pressure on them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If they allow even just FIVE fans at tourney games....I WILL BE THERE.

Indy is just a few-hour drive from my house.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    If they allow even just FIVE fans at tourney games....I WILL BE THERE.

Indy is just a few-hour drive from my house.
    900 miles from my house , piece of cake.