Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AP Top 25 --- Zags in at #1

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    My sense is that there has been no progress in making Zags games more accessible via streaming services. Are we still on Root sports for non-ESPN games? If so isn't it true that Root still has no way to stream its content unless you also have an old school (ie ancient) cable tv or satellite package?

When will this ever be addressed? Get with the program. Cable tv has gone the way of the Buffalo.

Regardless Kraziness isn't even a game. It's GU only. Can't someone in the athletic department hold up their iPhone for us all or something? I mean come on. I have a 4K security camera at my home and I can livestream the chicks in my chicken coop. This is absurd.
    Apparently you can stream Root sports over AT&T TV Now. But of course you will have to buy an AT&T Cable TV subscription to be able to stream it. WTF.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Apparently you can stream Root sports over AT&T TV Now. But of course you will have to buy an AT&T Cable TV subscription to be able to stream it. WTF.
    Of course. Arguably the worst of all cable providers. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nice but what about the other 99% of Zag nation? Love the Zags but I’m not re-upping at Ft Lewis anytime soon.
    Hi Jazz,
    i have always advocated making zag games available to zag fans somehow, no matter where they were.
    over the years i have had to call bars all over town to see which channels they had, even drove to a bar in pullman wa to see a game,
    in the modern era i don't know why streaming games on the web somewhere is not easily possible,
    remember when we relied on philly zag to stream games when there was no other way, i was one of those who depended on him.

I offered the seattle comcast info only as an FYI for the sake of other people who might have root sports on their cable, not at all thinking it would solve most people's access problems - seems like most of the time i am outside the broadcast care of KHQ and had to scramble hoping for some way or another to see it.
    to imply

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Hi Jazz,
    i have always advocated making zag games available to zag fans somehow, no matter where they were.
    over the years i have had to call bars all over town to see which channels they had, even drove to a bar in pullman wa to see a game,
    in the modern era i don't know why streaming games on the web somewhere is not easily possible,
    remember when we relied on philly zag to stream games when there was no other way, i was one of those who depended on him.

I offered the seattle comcast info only as an FYI for the sake of other people who might have root sports on their cable, not at all thinking it would solve most people's access problems - seems like most of the time i am outside the broadcast care of KHQ and had to scramble hoping for some way or another to see it.
    to imply
    Gotcha, ZGZ. And agree. I can recall when the Zag Michigan State Sweet 16 game wasn’t on tv here. So I guess there’s been tiny progress. I miss Philly Zag, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    This is THE problem. I don’t have any problem with paying for Root sports. But I DO have a problem not having the option to pay in any way other than a standard cable package. We have HULU. We have youtube tv. We have tons of online “cable” providers. Everyone else in America has figured out how to stream their content without tying it to some dinosaur cable subscription like Comcast or at&t.

Why can’t Gonzaga/Root figure this the F out? Hello Mike Roth? Is anyone home?

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    This is THE problem. I don’t have any problem with paying for Root sports. But I DO have a problem not having the option to pay in any way other than a standard cable package. We have HULU. We have youtube tv. We have tons of online “cable” providers. Everyone else in America has figured out how to stream their content without tying it to some dinosaur cable subscription like Comcast or at&t.

Why can’t Gonzaga/Root figure this the F out? Hello Mike Roth? Is anyone home?
    Isn't ROOT owned by the Mariners? They want you to have to pay for a cable package to get ROOT. That is pretty much the only reason that I am still on cable...the Mariners and road games for the Zags. Normally the overlap is just enough to not get rid of the premium package needed to get ROOT (for me) and TCM for the wife.
    It's not funny.

Root owned 60% mariners and 40% owned by WarnerMedia which is owned by AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Root owned 60% mariners and 40% owned by WarnerMedia which is owned by AT&T
    The issue is that Root itself has apparently made no effort to recognize market reality and get its own product on the newer TV platforms. I had DirecTV for 18 years and it was good at the time. It got too expensive; it's equipment because too cumbersome and unwieldy, and it simply was not competitive anymore.

I personally switched to YouTube TV over a year ago and could not be happier. Over 100 bucks a month cheaper; can use on all my devices anywhere; unlimited DVR; and no need for any huge set top boxes like cable or satellite. It also works in the snow. I can just use the app thats native in smart TVs and don't even need an Apple TV or the like.

There are similar competing TV streaming platforms from Hulu, Sling TV, etc. Not all are identical but almost all are better value propositions than legacy "cable" providers like Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, etc.

So long as we start with Root and Root insists on not making itself available on these newer streaming TV platforms, we are losing eyeballs from fans who can and should be watching Gonzaga basketball.

This is a problem that seriously needs to be addressed. There is no reason Root should behave this way for it's own sake. But for Gonzaga's sake I hope some pressure is applied to Root. If it isn't eventually that pressure will be applied by advertisers who balk at paying to reach an ever dwindling audience. Eventually enough Mariners fans would apply this pressure. The only reason it hasn't happened already is that the Mariners are setting records for consistent haplessness and their fan base is moribund.

I do wonder if GU would be better off just cuttting deals with local stations in Seattle and Portland to get at least Washington and Oregon covered and onto the streaming platforms that way.