Thread: WCC Preview

Default WCC Preview

https://www.sportsgamblingpodcast.co...rience-ep-337/
    Does anybody subscribe and could you share some insight?
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    https://www.sportsgamblingpodcast.co...rience-ep-337/
    Does anybody subscribe and could you share some insight?
    I dont subscribe but I clicked on it and it played. My insight is save yourself an hour. I made it through about 40 minutes before i couldn't take anymore. Too much rambling off topic and not very much WCC knowledge. The takeaway is GU lost too much from last year and will take a step back, yet BYU (who loses more from last year and replaced them with mostly WAC and JC transfers) is going to push GU for 1st. One guy thinks the WCC could have 4 tourney teams (USF and SMC). I would say this is the worst preview I've listened to or read so far. It did help me kill almost an hour at work though, so thanks for finding it.

thanks bd sorry to have wasted your time.

thanks bd sorry to have wasted your time.
    You didnt, like I said it killed some time at work. Just dont know how those two got a podcast.

Nah Zag buddy......it was good to hear. Idiots spewing stupidity. We've hear that before. I wonder if they know we're top 5 or better in the country. There's a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nah Zag buddy......it was good to hear. Idiots spewing stupidity. We've hear that before. I wonder if they know we're top 5 or better in the country. There's a reason for that.
    There's a national consensus that the Zags are either the #1 or #2 team in the country. I can't think of a single reputable journalist that doesn't agree with that. Anyone who doesn't think Gonzaga is the easy consensus pick to win the conference is hard to take seriously. Based on that point alone, it's hard to take anything else they say about the other teams seriously.

While I don't know the ins and outs of all the WCC schools this year, I did see KenPom has just released his preseason rankings, and perhaps this can give us some indication of what the league will look like this year. To my surprise, BYU is much further down than I expected, though I am not entirely clear who they've lost or what they've gained (outside of Haarms). Here's how it shakes out on KenPom, which I think we can all agree is a better preview of what to expect this season than whatever those guys spewed:

2. Gonzaga
    71. SMC
    82. USF
    89. BYU
    102. Pepperdine
    107. SCU
    123. Pacific
    146. LMU
    149. USD
    241. Portland (yikes!)

Some of the good players outside of GU that I can think of off the top of my head in the conference:
    Matt Haarms (BYU)
    Colby Ross (Pepperdine)
    Bouyea (USF)
    Edwards (Pepperdine)
    Vrancik (SCU)

I can't think of a single SMC player that returns and is worth noting, though I'm sure they have someone.

If 9 teams finish in the KenPom top 150 that would be outstanding, I'm sure that's never happened in the WCC. Portland at 241 is better than the usual last place WCC team.

You guys turned a poor thread into a thread of interest. thank you.

You guys turned a poor thread into a thread of interest. thank you.
    PCZ_Frites (SCU w/ Zag roots) for three. Nothing but twine.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    If 9 teams finish in the KenPom top 150 that would be outstanding, I'm sure that's never happened in the WCC. Portland at 241 is better than the usual last place WCC team.
    Well, yeah, but not even ONE (beyond GU) in the top 50? Never mind top 25 but not one in the top 50?

That is rather depressing.

Though, of course, the ball hasn't been thrown in the air.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    PCZ_Frites (SCU w/ Zag roots) for three. Nothing but twine.
    Ha! Thanks GoZags! Hopefully this preseason performance can earn me some meaningful minutes during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Well, yeah, but not even ONE (beyond GU) in the top 50? Never mind top 25 but not one in the top 50?

That is rather depressing.

Though, of course, the ball hasn't been thrown in the air.
    I don't know much about what SMC has this year, but they've finished in the top 35 in KenPom the last five seasons, and I'm inclined to think they'll figure out a way to end up there again this season. Though it would be nice if we routinely had at least 3 tourney level teams in league like last season.

Don't sleep on BYU. Although the Zags have more talent, BYU is no slouch and even goes deeper than the Zags. They literally could do a 10 man rotation.
    We will know very soon how good they are when they play USC on the 25th. They will also be playing San Diego St., Utah St. and Utah to name a few. I watched their scrimmage after a day of practice and they looked pretty good. Plenty of 3 point shooter and with Averette at point guard they have a very quick and strong ball handler. Their front line is not just a bunch of big bodies with no talent. Haarms has developed himself a 3 pt. shot and Gideon George is going be a force immediately on the defensive end. St. Mary's just got the word that Van Komen is immediately eligible so they will be interesting as well with a 7-4 and 2 6-10 players. All of you saw what kind of player Gabe Mullins was in his last year and he will bring a lot to their team.

I was highly impressed with BYU's coaching staff last year. I believe they will be highly completive for years to come. Multiple teams have improved the last few years. The WCC could definitely move up in the rankings for conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Don't sleep on BYU. Although the Zags have more talent, BYU is no slouch and even goes deeper than the Zags. They literally could do a 10 man rotation.
    We will know very soon how good they are when they play USC on the 25th. They will also be playing San Diego St., Utah St. and Utah to name a few. I watched their scrimmage after a day of practice and they looked pretty good. Plenty of 3 point shooter and with Averette at point guard they have a very quick and strong ball handler. Their front line is not just a bunch of big bodies with no talent. Haarms has developed himself a 3 pt. shot and Gideon George is going be a force immediately on the defensive end. St. Mary's just got the word that Van Komen is immediately eligible so they will be interesting as well with a 7-4 and 2 6-10 players. All of you saw what kind of player Gabe Mullins was in his last year and he will bring a lot to their team.
    Zags could do a 10 man rotation and the second 5 just might be the 2nd best team in the WCC.

Just my opinion, of course.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Zags could do a 10 man rotation and the second 5 just might be the 2nd best team in the WCC.

Just my opinion, of course.
    I agree. BYU might be 10 deep, but how many of those 10 would be on scholarship at GU. The talent gap is big. The one thing that GU lacks is a lot of experience. 2 seniors and 1 junior on the roster. A lot of big time matchups right of the bat for a very young team.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020...conference-wcc

Mid Major Madness top 25, Pepperdine No. 21.

Smile A Chance to see fellow WCC Team

Pepperdine will play UC-Irvine (Nov 25) and UCLA (Nov 27). Hopefully these games will be televised for the DVR. Four WCC games (at least, at last) in three days -- w/the Zags's tussles with Kansas and Auburn.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-event-vs-ucla

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I agree. BYU might be 10 deep, but how many of those 10 would be on scholarship at GU. The talent gap is big. The one thing that GU lacks is a lot of experience. 2 seniors and 1 junior on the roster. A lot of big time matchups right of the bat for a very young team.
    BYU will be IMO the biggest loser to Covid, i.e. playing at home without fans. Those fans willed their team to victory against the Zags last year. Our guys held up well for 35 minutes, but finally succumbed in the last five minutes as the Cougars fed off the energy.

Without that extra energy, BYU is just another good team. That's what makes college hoops so great.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    BYU will be IMO the biggest loser to Covid, i.e. playing at home without fans. Those fans willed their team to victory against the Zags last year. Our guys held up well for 35 minutes, but finally succumbed in the last five minutes as the Cougars fed off the energy.

Without that extra energy, BYU is just another good team. That's what makes college hoops so great.
    No question BYU loses a ton with that home crowd!
    I think the losses of Toolson, Seljaas and Haws are huge for that team. That team last year was deadly from three and shot it a ton. Haas, Baxter ( who i think is a special player) & Lee are no question talented but I think they just loose way too much fire power from the 3. I know they still have guys who can shoot but not like last year.
    As much as I really don't care for Haws he was relentless. I just think they won't be able to out gun teams like they could last year.
    1.Gonzaga
    2.Byu
    3-5. San Fran, Pepp, St. Marys (I think its a crap shoot between the 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Yeah, but how will they play at home without 20,000 fans booing in unison?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Yeah, but how will they play at home without 20,000 fans booing in unison?
    +1

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020...conference-wcc

Mid Major Madness top 25, Pepperdine No. 21.
    https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020...cc-matt-haarms

Mid Major Madness top 25, BYU No. 17