Thread: WCC Preseason Votes are In

Default WCC Preseason Votes are In

MBB Picked to Win WCC, Zag Trio Named Preseason All-WCC

"Joel Ayayi, Corey Kispert and Drew Timme were all named to the conference's preseason team. Preseason All-WCC voting is restricted to returning student-athletes. Incoming freshmen and transfers are not eligible for consideration."

2020-21 WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches Poll
    Team (First Place Vote) Pts.
    1. Gonzaga (9) 81
    2. BYU (1) 69
    3. Saint Mary's 63
    4. Pepperdine 57
    5. San Francisco 52
    6. Santa Clara 38
    7. LMU 33
    8. Pacific 31
    9. San Diego 16
    10. Portland 10

2020-21 All-WCC Preseason Men's Basketball Team
    Name Year Pos. Institution
    Joel Ayayi Jr. G Gonzaga
    Alex Barcello Sr. G BYU
    Jamaree Bouyea Jr. G San Francisco
    Kessler Edwards Jr. F Pepperdine
    Corey Kispert Sr. F Gonzaga
    Colbey Ross Sr. G Pepperdine
    Eli Scott Sr. G LMU
    Matthias Tass Jr. C Saint Mary's
    Drew Timme So. F Gonzaga
    Josip Vrankic Sr. F Santa Clara

https://gozags.com/news/2020/10/26/m...n-all-wcc.aspx

Would not be surprised if there was a shuffle in #3-5 or 6. I think St. Mary's is there on reputation (hard earned yes) alone. I really think Pepp will contend for the #2/#3 spot. Just a feeling.

Excellent for three Zags to be on this list. Expect at least 4 Zags by the end of the year and it might be 5... but the coaches need to make room for other players in the League.
    GO ZAGS!!!

3-5 up for grabs. Those three teams are pretty good, Gales might be weakest on paper of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    3-5 up for grabs. Those three teams are pretty good, Gales might be weakest on paper of the 3.
    But Pepperdine is the weakest in the coach's box. Evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Romar's the recruiter, Ken Bone is the x's and o's guy. Pretty good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Bennett can really coach, I think most would agree with that!
    Golden seems to be good. I know he talks alot about analytics and seems to have been pretty successful so far as a head coach. For me to make a realistic evaluation, he needs a couple of more years with kids he recruits. Looks like he is off to a good start has some nice players coming in this year.
    Romar, seems like he should be more successful than his resume with the talent he recruits. He's had some very good teams and great players. Not sure what's going on there.
    Bottom line is it really makes me appreciate how good FEW & Gonzaga have been over the last 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenyon View Post
    Excellent for three Zags to be on this list. Expect at least 4 Zags by the end of the year and it might be 5... but the coaches need to make room for other players in the League.
    Also - voting rules don't allow freshmen or transfers to be included in the preseason all league team. Otherwise Jalen would almost certainly be on the team.

I concur with the three Zags chosen, but I think that Ballo and/or Zakharov will own the center...apologies to the Gael.

Looking at NBA draft projections, I am amazed at how many are going to be chosen in front of Zags. Head to head, they were beaten. I guess I just don't understand their values and choices. The guy at NBA.com does have Tillie at #41...so that is something.
    It's not funny.

By season's end, the two best Zags could easily be players not on that list -- Suggs and Watty.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    By season's end, the two best Zags could easily be players not on that list -- Suggs and Watty.
    if that turns out to be the case...zags are final four bound and natty favorites cuz we have a pretty good idea what we're getting at the other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bingo ... although I'd make it three and add Ballo to Jalen and Anton (although I think Corey still stays atop and will be WCC POY).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ