• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

OT. Arizona sanctions coming soon?

The University of Arizona is expected to receive a formal Notice of Allegations on Thursday from the NCAA about its men's basketball program, sources told Sports Illustrated.
    Birds aren’t real.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I’m from Missouri.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      I’m from Missouri.
      Missouri loves company

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
        Missouri loves company
        And it breaks.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

I hadn’t realized how many UofA coaches were involved in this. The concept of “lack of institutional control” never seemed more applicable.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I hadn’t realized how many UofA coaches were involved in this. The concept of “lack of institutional control” never seemed more applicable.
            The U of A leadership and board should be flushed as well. Straight into those deep storm drains that crisscross beautiful Tucson.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              The U of A leadership and board should be flushed as well. Straight into those deep storm drains that crisscross beautiful Tucson.
              I think they have strict environmental protection ordinances down there that won't allow for that type of pollution.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The Chipmunk responds:

After a report surfaced Thursday morning that the Arizona Wildcats were set to receive an official Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the biggest immediate question was what coach Sean Miller would have to say about it.

Not much, as it turns out.

“I’m not going to comment on anything that is around any investigation,” Miller said via Zoom during a press conference that was scheduled the day before to preview the 2020-21 season. “That’s really what I’m called to do as a member of our athletic department. I’m not able to comment.”

Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated has reported that Arizona was supposed to receive its NOA on Thursday, more than three years after the program became embroiled in an FBI investigation into fraud and corruption in college basketball. Then-Assistant coach Book Richardson was one of several college coaches arrested on Sept. 26, 2017, and has since plead guilty to a bribery charge.

Richardson, who admitted to accepting $20,000 in bribes from former agent Christian Dawkins in exchange for influencing UA’s players to sign with him, was sentenced to three months in prison.

Per Forde, Arizona’s case is supposed to be one of the most significant among the 12 schools that were involved in the probe. If that’s the case, the Wildcats could be hit major penalties including a postseason ban, loss of scholarships, recruiting visit restrictions, a head coach suspension, and/or show-cause penalties. Those are the possible punishments for Level I violations, which are considered the most severe.

Besides the Richardson charges, another issue that could be included in an NOA comes from 2019, when former assistant Mark Phelps was put on administrative leave with the intention of terminating him. He was was suspended because of a “fraudulent online course” involving former UA commit Shareef O’Neal, an accusation Phelps’ attorney denied vehemently.

Phelps had previously been suspended without pay for reportedly buying a plane ticket for former UA forward Keanu Pinder.

There’s also the still-not-substantiated 2018 report from ESPN that Miller was caught on a wiretap with Dawkins discussing a $100,000 payment to secure Deandre Ayton, who had already signed with the school. Miller has denied such a claim, saying during a March 2018 press conference that he “never knowingly” violated any NCAA rules with Arizona.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I still love how the assistant's first name is "Book" Richardson. I can just see people patting his back, "Hey there, how ya doin' old Bookie?" Not exactly the best name when NCAA sanctions are possibly coming the program's way...…....

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2009

Based on what happened the last time a huge school (UNC) was caught violating rules, I expect more sanctions for Pacific.
                    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

One of Sean's size 7s just dropped.

After speculation throughout Thursday afternoon, Arizona acknowledged on Friday that it has received the Notice of Allegations from the Book Richardson basketball scandal that has played out over the last three years. "The University of Arizona has received a Notice of Allegations (NOA) issued by the NCAA enforcement staff," Arizona said in a statement. "However, in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing enforcement process, the University is not releasing the NOA at this time." Arizona head coach Sean Miller held a press conference on Thursday and declined to comment on the situation.

“I’m not going to comment on anything that is around any investigation,” said Miller. “That’s really what I’m called to do as a member of our athletic department. I’m not able to comment.”

As previously reported by Matt Norlander of CBSSports.com, "Video of Richardson meeting with undercover agents, swapping stories and taking $5,000 is the first of two hits that ultimately led to Richardson being charged in the case. That's when Richardson verbally agreed to be part of Dawkins' scheme. In it, Richardson lays out how Dawkins will get Alkins in the mix so long as Dawkins makes a trip to Arizona's campus at some point to establish contact and entrench himself with Alkins and his cousin.

"You're gonna get Rawle," Richardson says on the video. "That's a fact."

As for Quinerly, Richardson was caught on tape saying that he paid him and his family $10,000 of out of his own pocket with an intention to give him an extra $5,000 to commit to Arizona.

At that meeting, Richardson explained to an undercover officer how he was hoping to make everything work.

"This is what I'll do," Richardson said. "This is what I can do for you to put you in a situation to move to Tucson. ... I don't want the NCAA f---ing with us. You should take one or two more visits and then shut it down. And then as soon as you do that, you commit."

When Richardson meets at Munish Sood's office with an undercover agent on July 20, 2017, the agent confirmed $15,000 for three months worth of payments for Quinerly's mother.

"We're gonna do -- gonna do 15 for three months, right?" the agent asks Richardson. "And that should help with the kids?"

"It better help with the kids," Richardson replies, and says Quinerly's mother was "good with me in terms of following the script."

Sources indicate to WildcatAuthority that Richardson has gone on record as saying that no money was exchanged between recruits as it stayed with him. How the NCAA handles that and what other information it has remains to be seen.

n addition, ESPN reported that FBI wiretaps intercepted calls between Arizona head coach Sean Miller and former ASM sports associate Christian Dawkins, “in which Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman DeAndre Ayton signed with the Wildcats.

During a TV report, ESPN said that the phone call took place in the spring of 2017. The network then issued a correction, stating that the phone call between Miller and Dawkins took place in the spring of 2016. ESPN then corrected its first correction, stating that the phone call between Miller and Dawkins took place in the year 2016, removing the "spring" designation.

Dawkins told the Arizona Daily Star that no such conversation took place.

"I wasn’t there," Dawkins said. "I just got out of criminal court case for the last two months. I had no involvement with Deandre Ayton, that’s a fact. So the whole (February 2018) ESPN report (that said Dawkins and Miller discussed paying Ayton), that’s something I couldn’t say is accurate because I never had conversations about delivering Deandre Ayton to Arizona for Sean Miller. Didn't happen."

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Boom.

Apologies. I first saw it on an open source, ESPN. But could not cut and paste.

The University of Arizona was served with nine allegations of misconduct, five of which are classified as Level I violations, in the Notice of Allegations that the NCAA sent to the school on Oct. 21, The Athletic has learned.

In his letter requesting the referral, Kelly notes the nine allegations are greater than the number of violations alleged in any of the cases that have emerged as a result of the investigation into college basketball conducted by the U.S. Attorney of the Southern District of New York.

Last edited by jazzdelmar; 10-26-2020, 08:14 AM. Reason: Please continue to observe forum rules on crediting sources and linking.

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

The Pacific Tigers are toast!
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

More on sanctions ( lack of)

NCAA cases handled by the IARP have actually slowed the process of punishing offenders
                            Dennis Dodd
                            "I've said it before publicly and I'll say it here again -- I'm frustrated and disappointed those cases aren't resolved yet," enforcement chief Jon Duncan said via Zoom Friday during the NCAA Convention.

"It's no surprise we get that question here [when it will be over]," he added. "We get it multiple times each day."
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• ZionZag
                              Kennel Club
                              • Sep 2013

I think they have strict environmental protection ordinances down there that won't allow for that type of pollution.
                              JP...+1

Comment

Working...
                              X