Thread: Lady Zags: Numerica Fan Fest Set for Nov. 10

Post Lady Zags: Numerica Fan Fest Set for Nov. 10

Numerica Fan Fest Set for Nov. 10

Annual preseason event will be virtual in 2020

SPOKANE, Wash.Gonzaga women's basketball has finalized a date for Numerica Fan Fest for Nov. 10, at 6 p.m.

The 2020 edition of Numerica Fan Fest will be broadcast live locally on SWX, and streamed on GoZags.com. The event will occur with no fans in attendance, part of a controlled environment in Spokane coordinated by Gonzaga University and its Athletic Department. Gonzaga continues to work with the Spokane Regional Health District to implement appropriate COVID-19 protocols, as well, to help protect the health and safety all of players, coaches and staff.

Numerica Fan Fest will be the public's first look at the 2020-21 women's basketball team. The Zags will scrimmage each other during the event, and compete in contests. Fans will have a chance to listen to several student-athletes and coaches with interviews. Stay tuned to GoZags.com for more details of Numerica Fan Fest.

Gonzaga Article Link

Cudos to CLF for getting the Lady Zags fans a chance to watch a early in house scrimmage on 10 November already on my calendar. Look forward to seeing how Cierra Walker plays, along with all the new Lady Zag players, lots of new faces and numbers to check out.

Glad we will bypass the exhibition this year and get right to the real games.

Former Zag Kudron Returns as Video Coordinator

SPOKANE, Wash. – Former Gonzaga standout Kiara Kudron is returning to the Gonzaga Women's Basketball Program as the Bulldogs' video coordinator. Head Coach Lisa Fortier announced the hiring of Kudron Thursday.

"I am so happy to have Kiara back at Gonzaga," Fortier said. "She was a great player and leader in her five years here, and she understands what our expectations as a program are. It's fun for the players to have her out there, knowing that she's gone through the same things and been coached by the same people. She is ready to make the transition from playing basketball to the other side of the profession, and we are excited to have her here."

Kudron arrives at Gonzaga after having spent the last three seasons playing basketball professionally overseas in Madrid, Spain and Contern, Luxembourg, most recently for Pacisa Alcobendas out of Madrid. Last season, Kudron averaged 12.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per game shooting 48.4 percent from the floor.

Prior to her professional basketball career, Kudron suited up for the Zags from 2012-17, helping Gonzaga to four NCAA Tournament berths, four WCC regular-season titles and three WCC Tournament titles. She finished her career ranked 11th all-time in rebounds with 651 and was selected to the 2016-17 All-WCC First Team, 2017 WCC All-Tournament, 2016-17 WCC All-Academic and 2016-17 DI-AAA Scholar Athlete Team.

"Many thanks to Lisa, Mike Roth and the entire coaching staff and athletic department for this amazing opportunity," Kudron said. "Your confidence in me first as a player and now as a member of the women's basketball staff means more to me than I can express in words. From my first visit to Gonzaga during the recruiting process, I always felt this was my family and home away from home. I'm so excited to be back. Once a Zag, always a Zag!"

Kudron graduated from Gonzaga with a Bachelor's degree in physical education with a concentration in health and fitness. She earned her Master's in Organizational Leadership.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 10-22-2020 at 10:35 AM.

For those asking about Lady Zag posters they will be a after thought until the Lady Zags Non conference schedule is posted.

But I inquired anyways and a Zag rep left a message on my answering machine saying Lady Zag posters are not out yet, he also stated that they will not be available at the ticket office to pick up this year. Then he was very vague saying something would be posted somewhere when the posters come out, and then we could pick them up at the book store or grocery store.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 10-23-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Basketball: Kraziness in the Kennel and Fan Fest confirmed
    Asher Ali 12 hrs ago

Get ready to go Krazy.

Gonzaga men’s basketball has confirmed Nov. 12 as the date for this year’s Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel, and GU women’s basketball has dually announced the date for Numerica Fan Fest being Nov. 10

Both events will be put on in the McCarthey Athletic Center, but neither event will have any spectators in attendance. Kraziness in the Kennel will be solely broadcasted live on KHQ-TV at 8 p.m. PST, and Fan Fest will be broadcasted live on SWX at 6 p.m. PST with a stream on GoZags.com as well.

This will be fans’ first chance to witness the 2020-21 rosters for each team on the court in action, something much anticipated for both squads as the men’s team is the widely agreed-upon preseason No. 1 team in the country, and ESPN’s latest preseason top 25 for women’s basketball has the Zags at No. 24 nationally.

Both the Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel and Fan Fest will feature an intersquad scrimmage for the respective teams involved, and then players will compete against one another in skills competitions similar to previous years’ renditions of these events. According to press releases sent out by GU Athletics, after each on-the-court showcase by the teams, “several student-athletes and coaches” will have interviews that fans will get to listen to. This will give the audience an opportunity to hear from each team about what they’re anticipating for the upcoming season.

In assurance that the players and coaches are healthy and safe going into the start of their seasons, GU and its athletic department will begin arranging a controlled environment for the teams in preparation for their upcoming preseason events. The university will continue to coordinate with the Spokane Regional Health District in setting up proper COVID-19 safety protocols that will dynamically fit each team’s situation throughout the season.

The preseason events will come approximately two weeks before the NCAA season is scheduled to get underway on Nov. 25. Men’s basketball is likely to have their first regular season matchup of the year against Auburn in Orlando as part of a four team tournament that also includes Texas A&M and Houston.

The women’s team has nothing concretely set outside of their conference schedule which begins Dec. 28, but head coach Lisa Fortier said that they’re aiming on signing a contract soon to play in a tournament in Washington D.C. that first post-Thanksgiving weekend, and that 19th ranked DePaul would potentially be their first opponent in that tournament. Both teams are still working on filling up the remaining vacancies in their respective nonconference schedules.

All right rumor is out Lady Zags could be playing #19 Depaul 1st game "(potentially)" and our own Gonzaga Bulletin had the inside scoop. Good job Asher Ali (Gonzaga Bulletin) and thanks CLF for giving us some info much appreciated.

Commentary: Numerica Fan Fest set to excite Gonzaga WBB fans
    Vinny Saglimbeni 15 hrs ago

The Gonzaga women's basketball will celebrate the beginning of their 2020-2021 season Tuesday, Nov 10 during the Numerica Fan Fest event.

As sports slowly approach Gonzaga’s campus, the basketball season is just around the corner, and with every basketball season comes a preseason rally to get GU fans excited for what is to come in the upcoming season.

GU women’s basketball is set to have its annual preseason event Numerica Fan Fest happen Tuesday Nov. 10 at 6 p.m. According to the GU Athletics website, Fan Fest will be shown virtually through an SWX broadcast, and streamed on GoZags.com. No fans will be at the event, as GU and the athletic department coordinated the event in order to keep a controlled environment.

Go Zags Mens Basketball website updated their non conference schedule giving times and locations of some games.

NOV 26 (THU) 10:30 A.M.
    KANSAS
    FORT MYERS, FL

NOV 27 (FRI) 8 A.M.
    AUBURN
    FORT MYERS, FL

DEC 5 (SAT) 10 A.M.
    BAYLOR
    INDIANAPOLIS

DEC 19 (SAT) 9 A.M.
    IOWA
    SIOUX FALLS, SD
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-06-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Women's Basketball 11/6/2020 11:01:00 AM per the Go Zags WBB website

WBB Zags will play three games over three days in Sioux Falls S.D., Nov. 28-30

Sioux Falls, S.D. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team will be one of four teams to participate in the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic Nov. 28-30 at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D. The event will follow a round-robin tournament style and will mark the official start of the 2020-21 season for WBB Gonzaga.

Gonzaga will face South Carolina, the unofficial preseason No. 1 team for the 2020-21 season, along with South Dakota and Oklahoma. Last season, South Carolina finished 32-1 overall with a No. 1/1 ranking and claimed both the regular-season and tournament titles in the SEC.

South Dakota also amassed 30 wins, finishing 30-2 overall with both the regular-season and tournament titles in the Summit League. The Coyotes closed the 2019-20 season ranked No. 17 in the Associated Press and No. 11 in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll.

Oklahoma finished ninth in the Big 12 with a 12-18 overall record. The Bulldogs will open the tournament against Oklahoma at 3 p.m. PT on Nov. 28.

"We are very excited to be part of this field," Head Coach Lisa Fortier said. "We always try to schedule a high-level tournament early in the season to give us an assessment of what our strengths are, and where we need to improve. This will be a great opportunity for our team."

Gonzaga finished the 2019-20 season with a 28-3 overall record, and the Zags were projected to host the First and Second Rounds as a No. 3 seed before the NCAA Tournament was cancelled due to COVID-19. The Bulldogs return an experienced core for the 2020-21 season, including reigning West Coast Conference Player of the Year Jill Townsend and First Team All-WCC selection Jenn Wirth.

The four programs participating in the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic have a combined 41 NCAA Tournament appearances along with 24 Sweet 16s, five Final Four banners and one national championship (South Carolina, 2017). Flo Hoops will broadcast all six games.

Tickets are $25 for each day (two games) and will go on sale at 10 a.m. November 12 at ticketmaster.com, with a limited amount available. Masks are required for all spectators and will be available for free at the door. The full tournament schedule is available below:

Nov. 28 (All Times PT)
    12:30 p.m. South Carolina vs. South Dakota
    3 p.m. Oklahoma vs. Gonzaga

Nov. 29
    12:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. South Carolina
    3 p.m. Gonzaga vs. South Dakota

Nov. 30
    12:30 p.m. South Carolina vs. Gonzaga
    3 p.m. South Dakota vs. Oklahoma
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-06-2020 at 12:39 PM.

The Wirth twins bond with Jill Townsend goes far beyond assists on the court

The trio are Gonzaga's top returners this season. They also are best friends.

Author: Brenna Greene, Krem Sports (video on Krem Zags)
    Published: 8:44 AM PST November 9, 2020

SPOKANE, Wash. — Whenever the Gonzaga women begin their season, they’ll rely on heavily on the team’s three returning starters: Jenn Wirth, Lee Wirth, and Jill Townsend.
    As I’m sure you’ve put together, Jenn and Lee are twins, but Jill is definitely the third pea in that pod.
    "When they’re on the court with me, it’s just so much fun," said Lee Wirth of playing with Jenn and Jill. "It doesn’t matter who the person is doing the scoring or getting the steals or what not, but just that it’s my best friend doing it."

When you watch the Gonzaga women the bond between the Wirth twins and Jill Townsend is evident.
    The funny thing is, it wasn’t evident to Jill, at least at the beginning.
    "I didn’t like them," Jill said with a laugh. "I just wasn’t really close with them for the first three or four months. I just thought we had some big differences."
    That’s obviously not the case now though heading into their senior seasons.
    "It just kind of feels like a couple of sisters now," said Jill.

Jill may not have known that her friendship with the twins would flourish, but Jenn Wirth knew before she even met the Okanagan native.
    "I always kind of felt like I had an inkling. It’s always a joke that, like, once I found out Jill was going to be our teammate, I stalked her on Instagram. I saw her around the cows and horses and just all the cattle in general, and I was like, ‘I think we’re going to be friends. I just have a good feeling.’ That’s kind of, like, my claim to fame," said Jenn Wirth.
    The trio also live together off campus. This could potentially be their last season playing together. They aren’t ready to talk about this final season-- and potentially their final year in college yet-- if that’s the case.
    "Someone randomly will always bring up like, ‘Guys, like, we get to live together. It’s not going to be like this for long.’ We shut it down really quickly because we don’t really want to have to think about that. We just have so much fun and there’s always something going on in the house that keeps it interesting," said Jenn Wirth.

Their bond will last long past their playing days though.
    "I was so close to going to a different school. I was this close to being somewhere not at Gonzaga. Obviously, these guys were getting recruited by different places too. It just kind of all came together. I’m super thankful that by the grace of god we all ended up at Gonzaga and formed a friendship that will last forever," said Townsend.

From the Spokesman-Review:

Gonzaga women’s basketball team set to entertain fans virtually
    UPDATED: Mon., Nov. 9, 2020
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

What’s a Fan Fest without the fans?

The Gonzaga women are about to find out.

On Tuesday night, the Zags will be back on the court at the McCarthey Athletic Center. It will be the closest thing to a game since the season was abruptly ended in March by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Because of safety protocols and a pandemic that appears to be getting worse, fans will get no closer than their television sets.

The event will be broadcast live on KHQ beginning at 6 p.m.

There will be plenty of action in the form of a scrimmage – a pair of 8-minute quarters that will offer the first hints of how the Zags will look this year.

The most intriguing storyline is the GU backcourt, which lost Katie Campbell and Jessie Loera to graduation.

There’s plenty of talent on board, but Tuesday’s scrimmage will offer the first clues on how the pieces will fit together.

Now a sophomore, Kayleigh Truong stepped in when Campbell – a shooting guard – was lost to injury. However, Truong may move to the point while Cierra Walker, a graduate transfer from Vanderbilt, plays off-guard.

Then again, Kaylynne Truong is versatile enough to play both spots.

There will be few surprises in the frontcourt, which should be among the best on the West Coast with Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth starting at forward.

Jill Townsend, the reigning West Coast Conference player of the year, is back at the wing.

More help is on the way. Asked to pick her candidates for most impactful freshmen, coach Lisa Fortier recently named Yvonne Ejim, a 6-1 forward from Edmonton, Alberta, and Makayla Williams, who’s also 6-1 but listed as a guard.

Williams, a four-star recruit from Los Angeles, was rated ninth among all high school wings last year by ESPN. Her role on the team figures to be one of the most interesting story lines of camp.

GU is coming off one of the best seasons in program history, finishing 28-3 and projected to host first- and second-round NCAA Tournament games before the event was canceled due to COVID-19.

The Zags open the WCC portion of their schedule on Dec. 28; their first scheduled home game is Jan. 2 against Saint Mary’s.

So far, the only sure thing on the nonconference schedule is on Nov. 28-30, when the Zags play in the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic in Sioux Falls, S.D. GU will face Oklahoma, South Dakota and unofficial preseason No. 1 South Carolina.
    Article Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-entertain-fa/

ZagDad

Tidbits- Just happened to look at Oregon State WBB roster wow talk about land of giants. They have 2 ladies on their roster standing 6'9" tall and one 6"6".

Quote Originally Posted by TerpZag View Post
    The 2020 edition of Numerica Fan Fest will be broadcast live locally on SWX, and streamed on GoZags.com.
    Live Stream Link for Numerica Fan Fest this evening:

https://watchstadium.com/live/gonzag...eoSgP3RQRT6APo

Gonzaga women to play just one nonconference home game this season
    UPDATED: Tue., Nov. 10, 2020
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

The Gonzaga women will play just one nonconference game at home this year, Dec. 13 against Montana.

The game against the Griz is part of an 8-game nonconference schedule announced Tuesday night during Fan Fest at the Kennel.

The West Coast Conference portion of the schedule was finalized last month, but the nonconference part has been in the works for several weeks, with numerous setbacks.

The season will begin Nov. 28-30, when the 21st-ranked Zags play Oklahoma, South Dakota and top-ranked South Carolina in the Bad Boy Mowers Classic in Sioux Falls, S.D.

Six days later, on Dec. 6, GU is at South Dakota State. Two days later, the Zags are at Wyoming.

Following the Montana game, GU will get a week off before heading to Nevada for the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic. The Zags will face Eastern Michigan on Dec. 20 and North Alabama the next day.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-10-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Was there any news about Kylee or Anna Maria?

Tidbits from Fan Fest

New players that I saw play for the first time and thoughts. #13 Cierra Walker she can shoot and make buckets. #30 Abby O'Conner has a smooth shot (Transfer sits out this year). Both these newcomers impressed me on offense.

Based on scrimmage tonight looks like of the Freshman we might see making the biggest impact are #24 Mckayla Williams who had a nice assist feed to Wirth inside, and #2 Lily Scanlon who appears scrappy.

Melody Kempton looked good on free throws tonight like her new shot delivery. One of the Wirth twins said of all the players on the team, that she sees the Troungs as 2 players that will be the most improved this season. Also one of the Wirth twins said Jessie and Katie were very vocal leaders of the team, and the Troungs who are very quite were being encouraged to take over that roll and become more vocal.

Hondo unfortunately unlike the NFL who has a injury reports every Wednesday, we are usually are kept in the dark on injuries, and we usually just have to watch the bench and guess. So for now we just cross our fingers especially for Kylee who has been injury prone every year since arriving at Gonzaga.

Blue team was really applying pressure on traps, just don't have the forcing the turnover skill down yet, did get a couple of fouls called on it but loved the energy.

I know its only a scrimmage so take this with a grain of salt but, saw a couple of inbound passes to someone walking a tightrope on the same baseline resulting in turnovers as the player dropped the ball out of bounds or stepped on the line. This is a 2 part blame these were experienced players the should not have set up their to get the inbounds pass, and the inbounders should not have attempted the bad passes either.

Saw some good breaks to the baskets one or both Troung for easy layups. We have lots of shooters who can make 3 pointers.

Main but way to early concern was inbounding the ball resulting in forced turnovers, and handling the traps.
    Is their anyone currently on this team who can get a turnover and finish it on the other end with speed like Jessie and Katie?

Jill and Jenn looked a little rusty on offense. Thats right Jenn and Jill hope you stick it in my eye on the first week of the season.

Now us Lady Zag Fans sit back and twiddle our thumbs for three weeks until 28 November, which seems like forever right now.

Cudos to all the Lady Zags for the energy they brought on defense tonight. Well we received the Lady Zags Non Conference Schedule tonight see above. Now we wait word on Lady Zag posters coming out.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-10-2020 at 08:42 PM.

WBB Kicks off 2020-21 Season at Numerica FanFest

Virtual event was broadcast live by SWX Tuesday evening

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team kicked off the 2020-21 season unlike any other season with a virtual Numerica FanFest Tuesday evening inside the McCarthey Athletic Center.

The event was broadcast live by SWX and featured a 16-minute Blue and White scrimmage along with interview with Head Coach Lisa Fortier, select players and Athletic Director Mike Roth. For the scrimmage, the Zags split into two teams, Blue and White. The White team defeated the Blue team 27-24 in the first live scrimmage of the season.

"It was fun to see [the team] out there, and to see what the gym is going to look like and what the feel is going to be," Fortier said. "I thought we had some great stretches offensively, and probably some great stretches defensively when our offense wasn't so good, but I was thinking more along the lines of we struggled a little bit offensively…I thought they did some good things, and it was fun to watch these guys compete with a different feeling, because we haven't had any live scrimmages like this."

Sophomore Kayleigh Truong shined in the season kickoff event, finishing with 10 points off 4-of-8 from the floor including 2-of-3 from long range. Senior LeeAnne Wirth was solid inside for the White team, finishing with four points and a game-high six rebounds. The Mesa, Ariz., native added one assist and one steal in the win.

Jenn Wirth led the attack on the Blue team, finishing with eight points to go along with four rebounds. Cierra Walker, fresh off a redshirt season during 2019-20 due to NCAA transfer rules, added five points off 2-of-3 from the floor.

"I think today, [Kayleigh] looked really confident," Fortier said. "That's how she's been looking…I'm on her all the time to use her voice, but she does do a great job of commanding the floor with just her presence. She takes charge."

The Gonzaga women's basketball team officially opens the 2020-21 season Saturday, Nov. 28 against Oklahoma in the first game of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic inside the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D. For Gonzaga's full schedule, click here.

Gonzaga Article Link

It was good to see the team in action, even though just a scrimmage. Should be a good test when they meet South Carolina. Enjoyed the Fanfest, save for my biggest complaint about broadcast crews. It's always amazes me, even tonight in a scrimmage, how those broadcasting a game can talk about everything except what's happening on the court. I'll give Heister credit for at least trying to catch up on who made the last couple of baskets while his companions were gabbing away. I remember watching a game, not Gonzaga, where there was an altercation on the court, a technical was called, and the broadcasters, who had been chatting about the moon landing or something, wondered why someone was at the foul line. Just do the game guys, and cut the color commentary for when it's time appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Was there any news about Kylee or Anna Maria?
    hondo, I did not hear anything mentioned regarding either Kylee Griffen or Annamaria Virjoghe. I was watching the Fan Fest using the online stream. For me, the online stream kicked in a few minutes after the program started. There could have been a mention of both players earlier on the TV feed.

I have been waiting to see Kylee Griffen play for the Lady Zags ever since she committed to Gonzaga. I hope she gets a chance to play this year. When we lived in Mill Creek we got a chance to see Kylee play as a freshman and a sophmore when her Lake Stevens team played at Jackson HS. She played very good back then and we heard from former neighbors that she was even better in her final 2 years.

I just hope Kylee isn't injured again...

There was no mention of KG or AV during the SWX feed on FanFest.

During the warm-up, KG and AV were standing together talking, but they were not taking part in the warm-up.

There was no obvious signs of injury with either lady.

We will have to see what is going on with these young women. Hopefully both are uninjured and get a chance to play.

ZagDad

From the Spokesman-Review:

The news wasn’t entirely good. Two players – junior post Anamaria Virjoghe and sophomore guard Kylee Griffen – were unavailable due to COVID-19 protocols.

The school offered no other details, leaving it unclear whether their absence was the result of positive COVID tests or close contact.
    ZagDad

Love our Non Conference schedule of the 8 teams we have only beat two of them in our history that being Wyoming and Montana.

Lets just look at our first five games: First Oklahoma who beat us the last time we played, Second South Dakota who won 32 games last year and starts out the year 27th in the nation and last year was in the top 25 on polls, Third South Carolina number one in polls last and this year, Fourth South Dakota State who beat us last time we played and is rated 33rd in the country, Fifth Wyoming who always gives us all we can handle at home.

Ok now lets look at 6-8 games. We play 6th Montana at home then play 2 schools we never played before 7th Eastern Michigan and 8th Northern Alabama. Never underestimate schools you have never played before.

Their are no I repeat no cupcakes on our Non Conference schedule this year.

More Info. Eastern Michigan played Michigan and Michigan State last year.

Northern Alabama played Iowa last year and finished the year with a 21-9 record. They play Missouri and Purdue this year.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-11-2020 at 09:08 PM.