X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • West Side Lady
    Kennel Club Material
    • Apr 2017

It's true, Gonzaga eclipsed UW basketball yesterdays ago, everyone knows it. The tweet is a face save attempt.
    I always love these geographic rivalries and since time flies, the rescheduled game will be here shortly, stand by. Also, Naz Carter is suspended.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by West Side Lady View Post
      .... The tweet is a face save attempt ...
      I disagree.

I see it as a trend spanning 3 UW A.D.'s to take pot shots and slur Gonzaga. It started with Hedges after the UW/Heytvelt and Williams violations. It continued with the "leaking" of UW's proposal to "re-start" the cancelled series with 3 games in Seattle to Softy KJR's show ... and now with this.

GU filled their cancelled home games with Arizona and Washington with Orlando "bubble" games against Baylor and Iowa ... and then filled the rest of the OOC. When the Pac 12 changed their minds and decided to play basketball, both U of A and UW were immediately contacted by GU and told the the schedule was full (it was). Arizona handled the situation by adding on a game to the existing OOC deal. UW handled it with "Woe is me" ... "Gonzaga is being mean" verbiage ... immediately picked up by Husky sycophants (i.e. two threads about it on Dawgman). So in my book ... it's more than "a face save attempt".

I still like playing them, though and do hope the series continues.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

COVID cases are on the rise and there is no guarantee that the PAC-12 won’t cancel games again. The bubble that GU replaced them with is a safer bet, in my opinion. If they have an opening somewhere, great, but GU would be using poor judgement to schedule UW at the expense of any part of their schedule. (Including Tarleton— they need to keep that commitment).

UW and it’s fans should just worry about enjoying their team and trying not to bring GU down. GU has transcended any reliance on UW, but it appears that the opposite is true of UW. I’m not worried about the optics of this situation because whatever GU does doesn’t seem to effect recruiting in Washington, anyway.

Comment

• Kiddwell
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

A measure of how much this fan wants to play UW is how satisfying it is to beat them and how excruciating it is to lose. Every GU loss is painful, but no losses exceed the misery of losing to the Mutts (the sole exception being losing our only [so far] National Championship Game). Nonetheless, don't want to play them this year (only) as it'd be a home game with probably no fans in the stands.

Fans in the stands,
          On national TV,
          Next year.

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            I disagree.

I see it as a trend spanning 3 UW A.D.'s to take pot shots and slur Gonzaga. It started with Hedges after the UW/Heytvelt and Williams violations. It continued with the "leaking" of UW's proposal to "re-start" the cancelled series with 3 games in Seattle to Softy KJR's show ... and now with this.

GU filled their cancelled home games with Arizona and Washington with Orlando "bubble" games against Baylor and Iowa ... and then filled the rest of the OOC. When the Pac 12 changed their minds and decided to play basketball, both U of A and UW were immediately contacted by GU and told the the schedule was full (it was). Arizona handled the situation by adding on a game to the existing OOC deal. UW handled it with "Woe is me" ... "Gonzaga is being mean" verbiage ... immediately picked up by Husky sycophants (i.e. two threads about it on Dawgman). So in my book ... it's more than "a face save attempt".

Instead of playing UW on an annual basis, my preference is that the Zags expand their footprint in Texas. Here’s a partial list of schools with programs on par, or better than PAC-12 programs:

Baylor
            UT
            Texas A&M
            TCU
            SMU
            Houston
            Rice

Second tier:
            UTEP
            UNT
            NMSU (an hour north of El Paso)
            Texas Southern
            UT Arlington

Last year was memorable for me, with 3 North Texans contributing to our team. Never thought I’d ever see that.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
              I disagree.

Thanks for the big picture GoZags. Having lived in Seattle for ten years, and Spokane 40 before that, what I see around me confirms your perceptions. The bottom line as I see it is this: Seattle viewpoint - we are a major metropolitan center, with a major research university, Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, etc, etc. a 'world center.' Spokane, a cowboy town, red, might as well be Casper Wyoming, a hick town. When I first got here I met a lot of sports fans, and the zags were 'over-rated.' Then they took Romar's and sportscaster's side in the dispute with Few. In 2017 playing for the Nat'l Championship it was one team that came together for 'the perfect storm' but will be over-rated again. Now the zags are an accepted power and there is no sympathy or admiration. Kind of like Georing told Hitler when Jesse Owens won his second event - its not right we should have to compete against the American Negros, its like racing gazelles. Its a big city view of an upstart or something like that. That is my take on the deeply embedded lack of interest in the zags.

Comment

• SLOZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                Kind of like Georing told Hitler when Jesse Owens won his second event - its not right we should have to compete against the American Negros, its like racing gazelles. Its a big city view of an upstart or something like that. That is my take on the deeply embedded lack of interest in the zags.
                You might not have picked up on the fact that, in the instance you mention, Hermann Göring was likening "American Negroes" to animals. Sort of a distasteful source for sports quotes*. Using this quote for your analogy, you suggest UW fans view our team as animals. Also kinda distasteful. But I do like the part of your analogy where you see the Zags as being like Jesse Owens.

* Nazi quotes are tough to work into polite conversation, and Hermann Göring is a particularly tough source to use. "In September 1939 Hitler designated him as his successor and deputy in all his offices. After the Fall of France in 1940, he was bestowed the specially created rank of Reichsmarschall, which gave him seniority over all officers in Germany's armed forces. ... Göring's standing with Hitler and with the German public declined after the Luftwaffe proved incapable of preventing the Allied bombing of Germany's cities and resupplying surrounded Axis forces in Stalingrad. ... Informed on 22 April 1945 that Hitler intended to commit suicide, Göring sent a telegram to Hitler requesting his permission to assume leadership of the Reich. Considering his request an act of treason, Hitler removed Göring from all his positions, expelled him from the party, and ordered his arrest. After the war, Göring was convicted of conspiracy, crimes against peace, war crimes and crimes against humanity at the Nuremberg trials in 1946. He was sentenced to death by hanging, but committed suicide by ingesting cyanide hours before the sentence was to be carried out."
                SLOZag
                "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
                  You might not have picked up on the fact that, in the instance you mention, Hermann Göring was likening "American Negroes" to animals. Sort of a distasteful source for sports quotes*. Using this quote for your analogy, you suggest UW fans view our team as animals. Also kinda distasteful. But I do like the part of your analogy where you see the Zags as being like Jesse Owens.

* Nazi quotes are tough to work into polite conversation, and Hermann Göring is a particularly tough source to use. "In September 1939 Hitler designated him as his successor and deputy in all his offices. After the Fall of France in 1940, he was bestowed the specially created rank of Reichsmarschall, which gave him seniority over all officers in Germany's armed forces. ... Göring's standing with Hitler and with the German public declined after the Luftwaffe proved incapable of preventing the Allied bombing of Germany's cities and resupplying surrounded Axis forces in Stalingrad. ... Informed on 22 April 1945 that Hitler intended to commit suicide, Göring sent a telegram to Hitler requesting his permission to assume leadership of the Reich. Considering his request an act of treason, Hitler removed Göring from all his positions, expelled him from the party, and ordered his arrest. After the war, Göring was convicted of conspiracy, crimes against peace, war crimes and crimes against humanity at the Nuremberg trials in 1946. He was sentenced to death by hanging, but committed suicide by ingesting cyanide hours before the sentence was to be carried out."
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_G%C3%B6ring
                  +1, and I'll leave it at that.

Read an article today on the passing of a WWII vet, he was the first American to enter Dachau, by driving his Sherman tank through the front gate. The man likely lived with that memory every day for 75 years.

For all the "shade" thrown at the Zags in Seattle, I see nothing but respect from knowledgeable hoops fans in Texas and Oklahoma. Been that way for at least 15 years. During one game last year our waitress at Twin Peaks was a student at UNT with Ryan...I thought that was pretty cool.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I see your point, but don't forget it was the seattle sports attitude, Hitler and Goering that was being put down in a strong way.
                    Goering said it, and it was despicable, which is my point.
                    I am not for book burning or banning despicable historical quotes on figures like Hitler and Goering,
                    anyone who reads my posts over the last 15 years knows I speak against put downs of all types.
                    I watch lots of sports with several seattle sports fans, and their present attitude towards the 'superior zags' now is yet another way to exhibit the disgusting attitude of racism's 'damned if you underperform, damned if you overperform.' I know a person in my extended family who is a deep racist, and in the fifties told me the reason blacks did not run long distances well was lack of hard work ethic, in recent decades he discredited distance runners from Kenya, Ethiopia, etc. because they 'win everything' and supported the Bloomsday race committee's decision to give smaller paychecks to winners from Africa than other runners received for finishing in the same rank. I hope bloomsday still doesn't do that, but one way to attack racism and hypocrisy of all kinds is to highlight the obviousness of their blind prejudice.
                    I still accept your point, maybe just exposing the ridiculousness of Goerings attitude still feeds a racist's imagery in some way.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2019

Huskies fans need to stop whining. Gonzaga has two #2 finishes (2017 and this past season) in recent school history. What have the Huskies done lately? At least Seattle will have NHL hockey next season.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
                        At least Seattle will have NHL hockey next season.
                        And with it, a new Arena that not only will play host to the ‘23 and ‘25 NCAA Basketball Tournament... WILL also host GU’s renewed, upgraded annual “Battle in Seattle”.

As we all know, this is a “different” Gonzaga Program than the “Little Engine that Could” Zags who’d hosted previous B in S’s.
                        sigpic
                        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
                          Huskies fans need to stop whining. Gonzaga has two #2 finishes (2017 and this past season) in recent school history. What have the Huskies done lately? At least Seattle will have NHL hockey next season.
                          The Husky fans BETTER get Kraken!
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• mgadfly
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The Zags may need the Huskies as much as the Huskies need the Zags as early as next year. I'd embrace the dog duo now, as the college hoops (and football) landscape is about to change and Nike University players are likely to see a much greater return on their likeness than Husky or Zag players. The Zags have to keep building their brand in order to be a player in the new empire and it is probably in their interests to embrace a regional opponent from a major metropolitan area in an annual game that draws the attention away from the Ducks.

But I don't understand why the team that cancelled this year's game would blame the other team for not holding a spot for them while their conference figured stuff out. That's not GU's fault at all.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

For the recent additions on this Board .,, GU was relentlessly mocked by UW fans 20 years ago. Maybe the Twitter boy forgets that. Hones I don’t remember that last time GU lost to UW but it must be in the 2008 range. Romar took almost a decade off because he got tired of getting beat. He said UW wanted a more national schedule. Like we weren’t important enough. We knew better. Not that it matters too much anymore. Still , a no 1 ranking and a no 1 seed going into the season deserves a intense schedule. Few wants a title. We do too

Comment

• CDC84
                                Super Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

It will never occur, but imagine if Coach Few calls Texas Southern and asks for a home and home series. Their arena actually sits 2,100 more people than K2. I just feel so bad for those SWAC teams that start their season with 14 out of their first 15 games on the road. Riding the buses. Imagine the mania that would take place if #1 Gonzaga rolled into town.

Comment

Working...
                                X