• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

UW blames GU for not rescheduling canceled game, per source

UW blames GU for not rescheduling canceled game, per source:

Source: Gonzaga’s basketball game with Washington will not be played this season. It was scheduled for Dec. 12 and Gonzaga decided to move on when the PAC-12 postponed to Jan. 1 without consulting Washington. Washington tried to work with Gonzaga. They were unwilling.

• bdmiller7
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    UW blames GU for not rescheduling canceled game, per source:

Source: Gonzaga’s basketball game with Washington will not be played this season. It was scheduled for Dec. 12 and Gonzaga decided to move on when the PAC-12 postponed to Jan. 1 without consulting Washington. Washington tried to work with Gonzaga. They were unwilling.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/statu...892478466?s=21
    GU is only scheduling high majors in the non-con this year, no room for mid to low majors.

Comment

• 23dpg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Surprising if true.
      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
        GU is only scheduling high majors in the non-con this year, no room for mid to low majors.
        Love it.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2009

If it's true, it's hard to blame Gonzaga. With limited games available, you want opponents that help you the most.

It's a bummer to miss the in-state rivalry and I feel bad that UW lost an important part of their schedule but it's just business.
          The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

My first thought is that the Pac-12 can't really be relied upon at this point for multiple reasons (one is out of their control). I don't blame GU for moving on.

Comment

• Irish_eliZAG
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
              Wish that was true but we are still set to play Tarleton State which is new to D1.

Source: https://twitter.com/skarrg0/status/1...732867072?s=21
              Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
                Wish that was true but we are still set to play Tarleton State which is new to D1.

Just couldn't let some good old-fashioned ribbing happen, could ya?

I don't know if it changes the narrative, but the Tarleton game will be played in December and a potential UW game was pushed into January because of the Pac-12's decision to postpone out of conference games through 2020. I also still think GU should help out these teams like Tarleton and keep their commitment to playing them. Maybe GU can help out UW next year.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

My first thought is that the Pac-12 can't really be relied upon at this point for multiple reasons (one is out of their control). I don't blame GU for moving on.
                  The writing was on the wall when our game with Arizona was cancelled. Wasn't there another game with a Pac 12 team that was alos cancelled?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Just couldn't let some good old-fashioned ribbing happen, could ya?

I don't know if it changes the narrative, but the Tarleton game will be played in December and a potential UW game was pushed into January because of the Pac-12's decision to postpone out of conference games through 2020. I also still think GU should help out these teams like Tarleton and keep their commitment to playing them. Maybe GU can help out UW next year.
                    For all of the missteps that have occurred in Billy Gillespie's path, the man can coach basketball. Tarleton State is a perfect spot for him, it's isolated and there won't be an ounce of pressure on him. Recruiting will be easy for him. TSU is an hour's drive from 6+ million North Texans. I'm sure his Rolodex is full from his previous coaching stops in Texas.

ETA: I agree that GU should retain relationships with mid-majors we've played in the past, such as Texas Southern. Might not be a bad idea to schedule at least one HBCU school annually. I like it when we play Texas Southern, and other schools from South Texas. They're always shown on the Fox Sports channel that's the flagship station for the Rockets.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Heck, no fans in our stands ain't fair...

This fan wants UW in our place. We played at a rabid Heck last year. Heck, the Huskies need to play at a rabid MAC. Fair is fair. Wait a season then beat the heck out of the Huskies (again) in 2021, but in heaven -- the MAC.

:]
                      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Club Prez
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        The writing was on the wall when our game with Arizona was cancelled. Wasn't there another game with a Pac 12 team that was also cancelled?
                        USC in Portland.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post

Isn’t that a cigarette brand?

Well, well. Close but, um, no cigar.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            For all of the missteps that have occurred in Billy Gillespie's path, the man can coach basketball. Tarleton State is a perfect spot for him, it's isolated and there won't be an ounce of pressure on him. Recruiting will be easy for him. TSU is an hour's drive from 6+ million North Texans. I'm sure his Rolodex is full from his previous coaching stops in Texas.

ETA: I agree that GU should retain relationships with mid-majors we've played in the past, such as Texas Southern. Might not be a bad idea to schedule at least one HBCU school annually. I like it when we play Texas Southern, and other schools from South Texas. They're always shown on the Fox Sports channel that's the flagship station for the Rockets.
                            Be careful what u wish for Tex. HBCUs are getting tougher. But 100% agree on playing them.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Remember when UW stopped the series because Romar wanted a more national schedule?? Lololol.

Comment

Working...
                              X