• Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

NCAA Proposal Says Transfers Will Be Granted Immediate Eligibility

Ross Dellenger
    @RossDellenger
    Athletes will be granted a penalty-free, 1-time transfer starting in 2021, per proposal sent to DI Council & obtained by
    @SINow
    . It’s expected to pass in January.

Under the proposal, athletes are afforded a one-time transfer during their athletic careers without suffering the penalty of sitting out a season, reversing a policy from the 1960s.
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Ross Dellenger
    @RossDellenger
    Athletes will be granted a penalty-free, 1-time transfer starting in 2021, per proposal sent to DI Council & obtained by
    @SINow
    . It’s expected to pass in January.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/1...te-eligibility
    I hope it passes but somewhat worried Arlauskas and/or Zakharov may use this option if they are stuck on bench all season, and based on #s I don’t see how they won’t be getting anything but scraps of pt
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• GonzaGAW
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

- i'd tweek the rule and require students to attend minimum 2 yrs at their committed school, unless a coach is fired after the first year.
      - surely gonzaga will have more players transfering out of the program, all schools will.
      - but i think the schools program of high character players, family, team first, community will show fewer transfers than most schools.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
        I hope it passes but somewhat worried Arlauskas and/or Zakharov may use this option if they are stuck on bench all season, and based on #s I don’t see how they won’t be getting anything but scraps of pt
        Given the recruiting pipeline, that’d be good move for them.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
          Zag for Life
          • May 2008

I would have no problem if those kids felt it was in their best interests to go elsewhere. I don’t want either to leave but I also don’t want them to be unhappy due to lack of opportunity here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• scrooner
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I'm sure kids will be transferring here too. It's good for the athletes, but will hurt schools with good players who have little chance of making or being competitive in the tournament.

Comment

• OntZags
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Jan 2017

Not sure I agree on Pavel. From trying to parse out info from the coaching staffs' interviews, I suspect Zakharov may be ahead of Ballo on the depth chart right now and be the first big off the bench.

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Given the recruiting pipeline, that’d be good move for them.
              Perhaps but I know I'd like to see how they've improved first. I recall a number of people writing off Joel after his rs freshman year and look where's he at now.

Arlo is a consistent 3 pt shot away from being a very strong college player and I'm still very bullish on Pavel. Keeping some continuity in the program and retaining these 3/4 year guys is integral to maintaining the GU culture. I see no reason Arlo can't have a Jeremy Jones like impact as an upperclassmen and I'd put money on a junior and senior season Zakharov outperforming the overwhelming majority of underclassmen.

Comment

• Markburn1
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2015

Sounds like mid majors will be a minor league system for the power teams.

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I’d like to see Zak blossom. He’s got things that could make him great. As I recall he was as high or higher rated than Petrusev. Same with Arlo but he is surrounded by a group of superior talented kids.

Comment

• jbslicer
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                    Sounds like mid majors will be a minor league system for the power teams.
                    Great point.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                      I’d like to see Zak blossom. He’s got things that could make him great. As I recall he was as high or higher rated than Petrusev. Same with Arlo but he is surrounded by a group of superior talented kids.
                      Dunno, Doc. They seem to me to be new, if not better versions, of Keita and Monninghoff. Just not quite Top Ten/D1 contributors.

Comment

• bigblahla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Dunno, Doc. They seem to me to be new, if not better versions, of Keita and Monninghoff. Just not quite Top Ten/D1 contributors.
                        Not Yet! You need new glasses, both are far more aggressive and physical, Pavel, will grow into a BEAST, Arlauskas plays within the system, the brief time I've seen him I see more potential that Keita and Monnighoff had together. Your impatience always precedes your best judgement Jazz, a TEAM has many integral parts, way better components than K & M...

Old news, I picked Stocks and Hart as players from their Kraziness debuts, took you years to see it. You have good judgement but I believe you expect too much to fast and do become impatient when it comes to the growth factor, at times you are correct in your assessment, I think you are premature with these two.... Ha ha ha, I know you will be glad if you are mistaken,

Stay safe my friend...

Just my opinion.

Go Zags!!!
                        "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                          Not Yet! You need new glasses, both are far more aggressive and physical, Pavel, will grow into a BEAST, Arlauskas plays within the system, the brief time I've seen him I see more potential that Keita and Monnighoff had together. Your impatience always precedes your best judgement Jazz, a TEAM has many integral parts, way better components than K & M...

Old news, I picked Stocks and Hart as players from their Kraziness debuts, took you years to see it. You have good judgement but I believe you expect too much to fast and do become impatient when it comes to the growth factor, at times you are correct in your assessment, I think you are premature with these two.... Ha ha ha, I know you will be glad if you are mistaken,

Stay safe my friend...

Just my opinion.

Go Zags!!!
                          Of course, I’d be happy to be wrong. The bar is a lot higher now, as is my level of impatience. As for specs, I need new knees more.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

I would not expect large migrations in in the first few years,
                            but I can envision eventually much larger pecentages of players transferring across the nation than I would like.
                            This change is another road sign saying for student athletes a college education and college experience takes back seat again to treating the game as primarily about money, profit and thinking of their college as a .com instead of a .ed or .org.

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Of course, I’d be happy to be wrong. The bar is a lot higher now, as is my level of impatience. As for specs, I need new knees more.
                              A truly kneedy person, eh?
                              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X