X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Cook and Davis can really D up from what I saw in this limited sample size. Hope they put the brakes on Davis shooting though. Did he ever pass the ball outside of the one dunk where he looked like he was thinking about taking it himself?

Davis = Harris I assume?
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• CPkZagFan
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2019

Great comments and thoughts.

My take:
      Timme's ball handling and moves in open court were incredible for a guy his size. His outside shooting has really
      improved because last year when he and Petro were in at the same time, opposing teams collapsed the middle and dared them
      to shoot mid range. Also, one of the coaches mentioned, maybe Mark Few, that he can even step back to the 3pt line now.
      Personally, plus taking into consideration his injuries, I think he is quicker than Tillie but not as good on defense yet.

Kispert and Ayayi looked great and I like Kispert attacking the basket more. He has a great build and I can see him
      playing the 4 in small ball situations.

I watched Watson in high school. He definitely can hit the 3 on a consistent basis and was an incredible passer.
      He still hasn't gotten into the flow and I expect this to happen this year.

Suggs looked great as all have mentioned but I hope that he does not try to force his outside shot. In FIBA he
      was the starter but his shooting percentages were not that good but his defense & ball handling were. Granted,
      he started getting hot toward the end but if I am not mistaken, he missed his first 3 or 4. Norvell was the same way,
      he could be ice cold and then get hot.

I think one of the keys is Aaron Cooke. This kid can ball. If not mistaken he got a few blocks and a number of
      deflections. His ball hawking skills were great. If you watched him closely, he was doing all those little things
      that makes the whole team better. He made some fantastic passes, especially the one to Suggs. He has a sweet
      stroke and made a good drive for a basket. Had he not been so unselfish, he could have scored a lot more. I can
      see why Few and the coaches are so high on him. I could easily see him starting in a number situations and if not,
      he will be the first guard of the bench.

Ballo has some development work ahead of him but he did have a nice block and backed downed Timme for a basket.

We haven't seen Strawther yet but I think he will definitely getting some playing time. He lit things up in FIBA.

Truly an embarrassment of riches.

The WCC will be even stronger than expected: If BYU gels quickly, they could have a great year considering their depth and talent. We will know quickly because
      they have scheduled some strong opponents. St. Marys just got good news that Van Komen will be eligible giving them 3 players 6-10 or taller, Pepperdine with Colbey Ross
      and Edwards at Pepperdine will be touch and San Francisco as well.

Comment

• zagamatic
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2009

On a side note.....am I the only one who got a Silas Melson vibe from watching Harris?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
          On a side note.....am I the only one who got a Silas Melson vibe from watching Harris?
          Silas X 3.

Comment

• mgadfly
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
            Everything looked as I expected, at least from a scrimmage standpoint. Nothing changed on what I thought the lineup will be and where guys are.

Ballo is a little further along than I had heard, which was a role like Rui his first year, but he is a 3 year guy likely. Going to be a good player but still don’t see the explosive athleticism that some say he has.

Starting lineup will be Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, Watson, and Timme. Cook, Ballo, Davis, and one of Strawther/Arlauskas are the main bench. Pavel will only get limited minutes IMO.

Cook and Davis can really D up from what I saw in this limited sample size. Hope they put the brakes on Davis shooting though. Did he ever pass the ball outside of the one dunk where he looked like he was thinking about taking it himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Who is Davis?

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2007

Silas was a good role player, but if Harris' ceiling is Melson I would be very disappointed. I have much higher hopes for Dom.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                Do we remember when posters were saying Ballo = shawn kemp?

Seriously though, he will be a good backup big this year, next year be good, hopefully JR and Senior years he will be an all WCC performer. I was thinking RUI development, but I think he is one year behind the Rui schedule. Not a knock, RUI was special. Oumar will help this program.. just wont be Shaq or certainly not Shawn Kemp.
                Important to remember even though this is his second year in the program, he is still extremely young. Ballo just turned 18 in July. He is 13 months younger than Suggs and about 5 months younger than Rui was his freshman year. I still think the Rui plan is in play. Play some and show flashes this year, especially in mop up duty at the end of games, big piece next year whether starting or off the bench like Rui did, then dominate in junior year.

As a freshman Rui played in 28/39 games and only averaged 4.6 mpg, I expect Ballo to get more playing time than that.

Comment

• webspinnre
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I was feeling more like Norvell with better D or maybe GBJ.
                  I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• zagamatic
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2009

Regarding Ballo, I kinda got the feeling that he was intentionally playing a little reserved. I can definitely see him being a bull in a China shop and wreaking havoc when he gets rolling, which is obviously something you don't want in a scrimmage. At least, I'm hoping that is the case and that he really is capable of doing more. I will say though that, like Karnowski in his first few years, he needs to be stronger with the ball and keep it up high away from the swiping hands of smaller defenders.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Regarding Ballo, I kinda got the feeling that he was intentionally playing a little reserved. I can definitely see him being a bull in a China shop and wreaking havoc when he gets rolling, which is obviously something you don't want in a scrimmage. At least, I'm hoping that is the case and that he really is capable of doing more. I will say though that, like Karnowski in his first few years, he needs to be stronger with the ball and keep it up high away from the swiping hands of smaller defenders.
                      I don’t know if they always do it, but in practice (per Twitter video) his defenders on drills were holding gigantic cushions to soften the impact.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post

Davis = Harris I assume?
                        Yes, where did I come up with Davis from? Wow

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                          Who is Davis?
                          Already fixed, sorry that I dared to make a mistake.

Comment

• zag buddy
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2007

I was highly impressed with Jalen. H e has a flowing grace to his movement and other than me he's the only one I've seen it in. On a separate weird note if there is a statistical student out there, I think it would be extremely interesting to do a study throughout the season on the players and how they performed on various nights according to their biorhythms. If there were any validity to the study It could result in an interesting trend throughout all sports. There must be some young person out there as weird as I am. My motto is " I may not be right but I am always fun"
                            Last edited by zag buddy; 11-13-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• cjm720
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

So fun to see our team back. And what a team. So many new faces. Suggs did a couple things very few players can do. Timme is going to be a beast, and this is Kispert’s team. Lots of minutes to juggle. I have a feeling Cook is going to be a real surprise and be tough to pull out due to his defense and overall game. So many more comments to make but not enough time. Here’s to a full, safe and fun season. Go Zags!!!
                              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zagbeliever
                                Bleeds GU Blue
                                • Jan 2013

I watched and recorded on SWX. No issues at all. I can re-watch to catch things I may have missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X