Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Kraziness in the kennel 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SUperior talent on this teem with superior athletes. Once they become a team, it'll be "lights out". I wsh we could play a game before Kansas. That'll be a very stern test.
    Just a wonderful team that needs maturity. It'll come.
    Since it is the first 'game' for either team, I bet they are saying the same thing about the Zags.
    They have more upper classmen on their roster, Gonzaga has more players on pre-season watch lists. I expect Kispert, Suggs and Timme to hold their own. Cook should do well also, he has played against that caliber, and Ayayi can play against anybody.
    Gonzaga has a loaded roster, maybe the best contingent of talent, coming off the bench, of any team in college, BUT...that's why they play the games. Rankings on paper aren't worth the bytes they use on the internet.
    I expect the opening roster to be:
    Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme

Maybe Cook instead of Watson.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'll agree on that one. Pavel and Marty will never be starters; there is just too much talent ahead of them. Jalen was amazing; I just hope he's not a one-and-done. He's not at Mike Bibby talent level (yet).
    Suggs to Holmgren? Nice thought. Bibby quite a high bar. Second overall pick, all rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Since it is the first 'game' for either team, I bet they are saying the same thing about the Zags.
    They have more upper classmen on their roster, Gonzaga has more players on pre-season watch lists. I expect Kispert, Suggs and Timme to hold their own. Cook should do well also, he has played against that caliber, and Ayayi can play against anybody.
    Gonzaga has a loaded roster, maybe the best contingent of talent, coming off the bench, of any team in college, BUT...that's why they play the games. Rankings on paper aren't worth the bytes they use on the internet.
    I expect the opening roster to be:
    Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme

Maybe Cook instead of Watson.
    Im finding it hilarious that i posed the question of 4 guards in a starting lineup about a month ago and no one thought possible and now ive seen two people bring it up as a potential after one 16 minute scrimmage.

Cook is going to be a major factor at times this year. I am tellin ya!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Im finding it hilarious that i posed the question of 4 guards in a starting lineup about a month ago and no one thought possible and now ive seen two people bring it up as a potential after one 16 minute scrimmage.

Seeing is believing.

I was not one of those that said that, but even though Timme brought the ball up, drove the lane and scored...I don't believe he is a guard.

I also don't believe Kispert is a guard. I picture him as a small forward. It may be that the classifications are now Guard or Post, but he also could play post against a small lineup.
    It's not funny.

Do we remember when posters were saying Ballo = shawn kemp?

Seriously though, he will be a good backup big this year, next year be good, hopefully JR and Senior years he will be an all WCC performer. I was thinking RUI development, but I think he is one year behind the Rui schedule. Not a knock, RUI was special. Oumar will help this program.. just wont be Shaq or certainly not Shawn Kemp.

I was not one of those that said that, but even though Timme brought the ball up, drove the lane and scored...I don't believe he is a guard.

I also don't believe Kispert is a guard. I picture him as a small forward. It may be that the classifications are now Guard or Post, but he also could play post against a small lineup.
    My post said Cook, Ayayi, Suggs and Kispert.. whatever you want to classify Kispert as. Its a Small lineup.

My post said Cook, Ayayi, Suggs and Kispert.. whatever you want to classify Kispert as. Its a Small lineup.
    You specifically said a four guard lineup. Maybe it's semantics, but I don't consider Kispert to be a guard.
    It's not funny.

You specifically said a four guard lineup. Maybe it's semantics, but I don't consider Kispert to be a guard.
    Read the original post. Specifically mentioned those guys in the original post. And Kispert is a fringe between a guard and sf..

Save the angst for KU

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Save the angst for KU
    Does anyone else ever feel that when looking at Jazz post, John Calipari is talking to them? I always read Jazz's post in a Calipari voice.. maybe thats not even calipari in his picture.. but it sure looks like him

Does anyone else ever feel that when looking at Jazz post, John Calipari is talking to them? I always read Jazz's post in a Calipari voice.. maybe thats not even calipari in his picture.. but it sure looks like him
    It is. With my grandsons at bb camp. Not a fan. But, hey, we believe in diversity here, right?

Default Kraziness in the kennel 2020?

Everything looked as I expected, at least from a scrimmage standpoint. Nothing changed on what I thought the lineup will be and where guys are.

Ballo is a little further along than I had heard, which was a role like Rui his first year, but he is a 3 year guy likely. Going to be a good player but still don’t see the explosive athleticism that some say he has.

Starting lineup will be Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, Watson, and Timme. Cook, Ballo, Harris, and one of Strawther/Arlauskas are the main bench. Pavel will only get limited minutes IMO.

Cook and Harris can really D up from what I saw in this limited sample size. Hope they put the brakes on Davis shooting though. Did he ever pass the ball outside of the one dunk where he looked like he was thinking about taking it himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Vulture; 11-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Good Morning All!

I want to thank you all to chiming in with your posts about last night's KIK...

A strange thing happened last night...I have DISH and on Saturday, I went to Ch 412-16 and recorded KIK, which I do for EVERY GU game on Root Sports. KIK was scheduled to come on at 11pm EST, so instead of staying up and watching it, I went to bed looking forward to watching our TEAM play a scrimmage against each other. I have never seen KIK so this would be the first time BUT when I got up this AM there was no listing of GU's KIK. I am wondering if any of you other DISH subscribers had the same experience or maybe since I'm on the east coast I was just too far out of market?

Since I did miss this wonderful event, is there any way that I can catch this on another medium?

Thank You!
    Check the SWX website that was listed in the tweet that someone posted. They may have it archived.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Cook and Davis can really D up from what I saw in this limited sample size. Hope they put the brakes on Davis shooting though. Did he ever pass the ball outside of the one dunk where he looked like he was thinking about taking it himself?

Davis = Harris I assume?

Great comments and thoughts.

My take:
    Timme's ball handling and moves in open court were incredible for a guy his size. His outside shooting has really
    improved because last year when he and Petro were in at the same time, opposing teams collapsed the middle and dared them
    to shoot mid range. Also, one of the coaches mentioned, maybe Mark Few, that he can even step back to the 3pt line now.
    Personally, plus taking into consideration his injuries, I think he is quicker than Tillie but not as good on defense yet.

Kispert and Ayayi looked great and I like Kispert attacking the basket more. He has a great build and I can see him
    playing the 4 in small ball situations.

I watched Watson in high school. He definitely can hit the 3 on a consistent basis and was an incredible passer.
    He still hasn't gotten into the flow and I expect this to happen this year.

Suggs looked great as all have mentioned but I hope that he does not try to force his outside shot. In FIBA he
    was the starter but his shooting percentages were not that good but his defense & ball handling were. Granted,
    he started getting hot toward the end but if I am not mistaken, he missed his first 3 or 4. Norvell was the same way,
    he could be ice cold and then get hot.

I think one of the keys is Aaron Cooke. This kid can ball. If not mistaken he got a few blocks and a number of
    deflections. His ball hawking skills were great. If you watched him closely, he was doing all those little things
    that makes the whole team better. He made some fantastic passes, especially the one to Suggs. He has a sweet
    stroke and made a good drive for a basket. Had he not been so unselfish, he could have scored a lot more. I can
    see why Few and the coaches are so high on him. I could easily see him starting in a number situations and if not,
    he will be the first guard of the bench.

Ballo has some development work ahead of him but he did have a nice block and backed downed Timme for a basket.

We haven't seen Strawther yet but I think he will definitely getting some playing time. He lit things up in FIBA.

Truly an embarrassment of riches.

The WCC will be even stronger than expected: If BYU gels quickly, they could have a great year considering their depth and talent. We will know quickly because
    they have scheduled some strong opponents. St. Marys just got good news that Van Komen will be eligible giving them 3 players 6-10 or taller, Pepperdine with Colbey Ross
    and Edwards at Pepperdine will be touch and San Francisco as well.

On a side note.....am I the only one who got a Silas Melson vibe from watching Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    On a side note.....am I the only one who got a Silas Melson vibe from watching Harris?
    Silas X 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Everything looked as I expected, at least from a scrimmage standpoint. Nothing changed on what I thought the lineup will be and where guys are.

Ballo is a little further along than I had heard, which was a role like Rui his first year, but he is a 3 year guy likely. Going to be a good player but still don’t see the explosive athleticism that some say he has.

Starting lineup will be Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, Watson, and Timme. Cook, Ballo, Davis, and one of Strawther/Arlauskas are the main bench. Pavel will only get limited minutes IMO.

Cook and Davis can really D up from what I saw in this limited sample size. Hope they put the brakes on Davis shooting though. Did he ever pass the ball outside of the one dunk where he looked like he was thinking about taking it himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who is Davis?

Silas was a good role player, but if Harris' ceiling is Melson I would be very disappointed. I have much higher hopes for Dom.

Do we remember when posters were saying Ballo = shawn kemp?

Seriously though, he will be a good backup big this year, next year be good, hopefully JR and Senior years he will be an all WCC performer. I was thinking RUI development, but I think he is one year behind the Rui schedule. Not a knock, RUI was special. Oumar will help this program.. just wont be Shaq or certainly not Shawn Kemp.
    Important to remember even though this is his second year in the program, he is still extremely young. Ballo just turned 18 in July. He is 13 months younger than Suggs and about 5 months younger than Rui was his freshman year. I still think the Rui plan is in play. Play some and show flashes this year, especially in mop up duty at the end of games, big piece next year whether starting or off the bench like Rui did, then dominate in junior year.

As a freshman Rui played in 28/39 games and only averaged 4.6 mpg, I expect Ballo to get more playing time than that.

I was feeling more like Norvell with better D or maybe GBJ.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Regarding Ballo, I kinda got the feeling that he was intentionally playing a little reserved. I can definitely see him being a bull in a China shop and wreaking havoc when he gets rolling, which is obviously something you don't want in a scrimmage. At least, I'm hoping that is the case and that he really is capable of doing more. I will say though that, like Karnowski in his first few years, he needs to be stronger with the ball and keep it up high away from the swiping hands of smaller defenders.

Regarding Ballo, I kinda got the feeling that he was intentionally playing a little reserved. I can definitely see him being a bull in a China shop and wreaking havoc when he gets rolling, which is obviously something you don't want in a scrimmage. At least, I'm hoping that is the case and that he really is capable of doing more. I will say though that, like Karnowski in his first few years, he needs to be stronger with the ball and keep it up high away from the swiping hands of smaller defenders.
    I don’t know if they always do it, but in practice (per Twitter video) his defenders on drills were holding gigantic cushions to soften the impact.